Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Netherscourge
macrumors 6502

Will plugging in iPhone a lot hurt the battery?

I like to listen to my iPhone 4S's music at work via iTunes/USB cable through my PC speakers.

Will this hurt my battery doing this every day?

My only fear is over-charging. But I hear that the iPhone automatically stops charging at 100% (or rather, only trickle-charges at a very low rate).

Is that true? Is it safe to hook my phone up to my PC through iTunes every day to listen to music?

Or am I killing the battery faster doing this?

(Same with any iPhone dock - is it safe to use it in the car via a FM transmitter/charging station every day? Or should I stick to the Cassette Adapter through the Headphone jack?)

Normally, I charge my phone to 100% and then leave it unplugged until it get's under 20%. But I'd like to listen to my music more often at work through the USB cable and iTunes, regardless of the current phone charge.

Anyway, is it safe to keep it plugged in all the time?
Netherscourge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Small White Car
macrumors G4

No problem with overcharging. The iPhone protects itself.

You should probably run the phone down to 5% from time to time just so the battery gets some use.

But by "time to time" I mean once or twice a month. This isn't something you really need to worry about too much like you did in the past.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Netherscourge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
No problem with overcharging. The iPhone protects itself.

You should probably run the phone down to 5% from time to time just so the battery gets some use.

But by "time to time" I mean once or twice a month. This isn't something you really need to worry about too much like you did in the past.
Ok cool.

I've been doing full cycle charges every 3 days, because that's how long it takes my phone to run out of juice.

I keep getting mixed information of what's safe and what's recommended.

Some people say leaving it plugged int 24/7 is harmless so long as once a month you let it drain down on it's own to under 20%.

Other people say leaving it plugged in constantly will kill the battery faster.

I've only been listneing to my iPhone's music at work when it's time for a full charge. But that's kinda limiting. I's rather plug it in and start jamming as soon as I get into the office every single day!
Netherscourge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
I keep getting mixed information of what's safe and what's recommended.
Always consider the source.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:00 PM   #5
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Always consider the source.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/
Odd. When I clicked that link, my iTunes began accessing the store and changed from album view to the iTunes Store view.

I tried it again and the same thing happened.
WeegieMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

I've had an iPhone 4 since launch day. I plug my phone in every night and run it down to zero about once a month. I had a problem about a year ago when I noticed the charge had dropped to 50% after not much use. That's when I started draining the battery to zero once a month. Been fine ever since.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

It shouldn't affect the battery.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Stealthipad
Banned

Just put it on charge while you sleep. No need to cycle the battery unless you have a problem.

Just use and enjoy it. You will not own it for ever and will trade or sell way before you see any battery problems.
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone