Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RICARDOVASCO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Hi all! I just bought a new Macbook Pro 17". I spend almost the whole day with my laptop on. Let me know the best way to recharge it. Do I need to plug on and off the power cord all the time or just leave it on for 2..3 days directly? I've heard the most important thing for battery life is the cicles. I mean, someone told me I must leave the power cord on as maximum as possible so the charge cicle won't count down. Is it true?

Regards
Ricardo

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is also normal that your battery may not charge to 100%. The battery may appear to stop charging between 93 percent and 99 percent, because the batteries are designed to avoid short discharge/charge cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery. When it reaches a full charge, the light on your MagSafe adapter will turn green. This indicates that it has stopped charging your battery and you are now running on A/C power with a fully charged battery. It will not overcharge your battery. It's also perfectly safe to let your Mac notebook sleep with A/C plugged in.
from
  • BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

RICARDOVASCO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Thank you guys! Im just worried about that because I use it the whole day so I need to recharge the battery at least 3 times /day. Not sure if it counts like 3 cicles.Thats why I asked if is better to leave the power cord one for 2..3 days so it will count only 1 cicles in 3 days. Does it matter for battery life?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you guys! Im just worried about that because I use it the whole day so I need to recharge the battery at least 3 times /day. Not sure if it counts like 3 cicles.Thats why I asked if is better to leave the power cord one for 2..3 days so it will count only 1 cicles in 3 days. Does it matter for battery life?

Please read the FAQ I linked to or follow miles01110's advise.

RICARDOVASCO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
Please read the FAQ I linked to or follow miles01110's advise.

Thanks simsaladimbamba! Just found the info:

AC POWER

Quote:
Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time.
AppleCare support recommends that if you leave your Mac plugged in most of the time, unplug it every 2 or 3 days and run on battery down to somewhere around 50%, then plug it back in. That keeps the electrons moving.
Running on battery every few days also increases the pixi dust level!
Also, it is not recommended to run your Mac on the AC adaptor with the battery out (Of course, this only applies to removable batteries).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi all! I just bought a new Macbook Pro 17". I spend almost the whole day with my laptop on. Let me know the best way to recharge it. Do I need to plug on and off the power cord all the time or just leave it on for 2..3 days directly?
Run on battery whenever you need to and run on AC power when you can. You can plug and unplug it in anytime you want. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be exercised to stay healthy. Read the Battery FAQ that simsaladimbamba posted for more details.
I mean, someone told me I must leave the power cord on as maximum as possible so the charge cicle won't count down. Is it true?
No, that's false.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks simsaladimbamba! Just found the info:

AC POWER

Quote:
Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time.
AppleCare support recommends that if you leave your Mac plugged in most of the time, unplug it every 2 or 3 days and run on battery down to somewhere around 50%, then plug it back in. That keeps the electrons moving.
Running on battery every few days also increases the pixi dust level!
Also, it is not recommended to run your Mac on the AC adaptor with the battery out (Of course, this only applies to removable batteries).

Well, I treated my Rev 1.1 like a redheaded step-battery and regretted it, these days I'll normally wake up, unplug my computer and take it downstairs, use it for a bit before work, come home and use it for a bit until I want to watch a movie or battery intensive use, leave plugged in overnight as I usually watch a dvd or movie off a external drive as I'm going to sleep, rinse, repeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.