Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hi, I had Xcode 3.2.6 installed on my Snow Leopard Mac. Yesterday I upgraded to Lion, and today I installed Xcode 4 via the App Store.

The problem is that Xcode 3 is still installed and its icon is still in the dock. I can't find any installation instructions (presumably because there's no longer an actual installation?) so I can't tell if I was supposed to run the uninstall script first or not.

Can someone tell me how to properly remove Xcode 3 and get Xcode 4 properly installed? I read one post saying to just delete the /Developer folder; not sure if that's safe to do... are there any debug services running out of that folder?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm used to installing the Unix tools to get gcc, etc. in /usr. Is that now the "Command Line Tools" item in the Downloads pane of Xcode Preferences?

szymczyk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
Your Xcode 3.2.6 install should still be there unless you told Xcode 4.3 to remove the old version when you installed Xcode 4.3 or ran it for the first time. If your Xcode 3.2.6 install is still there and you want to uninstall it, you should run an uninstall script from the Terminal. In the folder where you installed Xcode 3.2.6, which most likely is /Developer, there should be an About Xcode document. That document has instructions on how to run the uninstall script.

P.S. I'm used to installing the Unix tools to get gcc, etc. in /usr. Is that now the "Command Line Tools" item in the Downloads pane of Xcode Preferences?
Yes.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Thank you. It never asked me anything about removing an older version; maybe because it installs automatically from the app store now?

You know what? It looks like I've misunderstood the uninstall instructions for many years now. They read:

NOTE: The uninstaller that ships with previous versions of the Xcode developer tools will not clean everything off of your system properly. You should use the one installed with these Xcode developer tools.

Since I always read this in the installation instructions of a new version, I always interpreted it to mean that if you have Xcode 3.0 installed and are about to install 3.1, the uninstall script that ships with 3.0 will not work properly and the uninstaller that ships with 3.1 should be used. It always seemed odd to me. But now after reading your post it sounds like they're just saying that the uninstaller that you run should come from whatever version was installed. Maybe they should read:

NOTE: The uninstaller that ships with previous versions of the Xcode developer tools will not clean newer versions of Xcode off of your system properly. You should use the one packaged with the installed version of the Xcode developer tools.

I'll run the uninstall script from 3.2.6, and hopefully that won't remove anything from Xcode 4.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.