Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fcplogo-150x144.png

Apple has updated its flagship video editing software, Final Cut Pro [Mac App Store], to version 10.0.4. The update is a minor one, adding some performance improvements, bug fixes, and language support for Simplified Chinese. Final Cut Pro can be updated via the Mac App Store.
Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.4 improves overall stability, performance, and compatibility including:

- Improves image quality and responsiveness of broadcast monitoring with compatible third-party PCIe and Thunderbolt I/O devices.
- Improves performance of multicam syncing and editing.
- Adds language support for Simplified Chinese.
- Adds a Share option for 1080p video on compatible iOS devices.

Final Cut Pro version 10.0.4 also addresses the following issues:

- Assigns default audio channel setting for new projects to stereo.
- Includes multicam metadata in XML project export.
- Fixes an issue in which video superimposed over a background with an alpha channel could appear differently in Viewer before and after render.
- Fixes an issue that caused some titles to be rendered again after each application launch.

This update is recommended for all users of Final Cut Pro X
Final Cut Pro is available on the Mac App Store for $299.99. The 10.0.4 update is free for current owners of FCP. [Direct Link]

motionlogo-150x153.png

The update to Motion 5.0.3 doesn't add any specific features, but offers "stability and performance" improvements.
Motion 5.0.3 improves overall stability and performance including:

- Improves loading time for projects.
- Improves performance of text editing in the Canvas.
- Fixes issues with Fill Opaque enabled in images converted to Drop Zones.
- Resolves a stability issue that occurred when deleting all characters with the Transform Glyph tool.
- Corrects the pixel aspect ratio display of Anamorphic clips.
- Improves speed of Save Current Frame.
- Resolves a stability issue when adjusting motion blur controls in the Project Properties Inspector.
- Resolves a stability issue when modifying media files while Motion is running in the background.
Motion is $49.99 on the Mac App Store. The 5.0.3 update is free for current Motion owners. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X to Version 10.0.4, Motion to 5.0.3

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
It's still crap. This is no longer a "PRO" app. Bring back the old interface and maybe I'll reconsider. Until then, CRAP!

Come on. It's a great way of working. It was a bold move for Apple to change it so much, but it will pay dividends in the future.

It's still lacking some pro features, but for something this new it's a good start.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
It's still crap. This is no longer a "PRO" app. Bring back the old interface and maybe I'll reconsider. Until then, CRAP!
A lot of the criticism towards Final Cut Pro X is warranted. This is not.

Redesigning and rethinking the interface to make a lot of the bread and butter functionality faster and easier available is not a negative and it does in no way makes the program any less professional.

randyman

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
I'm enjoying it

Since support was added for video cards (like my Blackmagic Design 3D) I've been using it more, and appreciating some of the design innovations.

There are some excellent plugins available for it that aren't available for the FCP Studio 3 version, and I've made the transition to using it for my personal work - and my home studio work for clients, as well.

It's really got a lot going for it, if you've got an open mind.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003

The old UI was not "pro", it was "ancient". "Old reliable" maybe. If that's your reason, then it's not a very good one. If the product is missing all the features you need, that's a much better reason.

I don't think anyone wishes OS X still looked like 10.1...

Attachments

• X101.jpg
    X101.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 440

pinholestars

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011

I am a "PRO" and I love the new Final Cut. I have since it came out. And by "PRO" I mean someone who professionally shoots, edits, color corrects etc. for a living. So unless "PRO" only means someone who works at a production house or studio, I still think it's worthy of the pro app moniker.

And my apologies if you forgot your /sarcasm tag.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Exactly. It's iMovie Prosumer. Final Cut Pro 7 is still superior to X. Adobe Premiere still blows away X as well.

Nobody's saying FCP X's feature set is exhaustive, but thinking of the FCP 7 workflows that people cling to makes me chuckle.

Oh well, "..this is the way it's been forever and it works great for me!!" right?

:D

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London

Well I am using it on a UK Show. and I am pretty pro.

Old interface was... Old.

I admit it needs some tweaking but use it for a week and you won't want to go back.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Well i'm a single user so many of the collaborative issues originally bothering folks don't affect me.

I'm getting used to the UI. I don't mind it, but I do find that actual editing is quicker - less key strokes or thinking involved.

I'm glad the title re-rendering bug was addressed b/c that was puzzling to say the least. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong.

I'm interested to see the 1080P device output files. I created one that works on both the ATV3 and the new iPad.

Cheers,
Keebler

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I like it and I am happy to see that they are closing bugs. I still have some and from the notes they are not addressed but we will see. Overall I can work a lot fast in X then in 7 and think its a very good app.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I hated the new iMovie when it came out. The timeline was rather confusing because I was used to the old fashioned way.

Same with any new concept, it takes a while to adjust, and once you get used to the new way, you wonder how you put up with tedious stuff in the old way.

It was a rather premature release from Apple though - the initial release lacked a lot, and while they've put most of that in again someway or another, they should've held off releasing it until they could put those into the initial release.

The bad press it got has clearly stuck in a lot of peoples heads.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
The old UI was not "pro", it was "ancient". "Old reliable" maybe. If that's your reason, then it's not a very good one. If the product is missing all the features you need, that's a much better reason.

It should let you drag .mts (AVCHD) files directly into a project like Premiere can, without having to wrap them in a QuickTime file.

It should also support network drives that aren't specifically an XSan volume.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Exactly. It's iMovie Prosumer. Final Cut Pro 7 is still superior to X. Adobe Premiere still blows away X as well.

In no way is 7 better than X. I can only agree it's an utterly different application so X users are better than 7's as they can adapt.

Single track editing is the way forward. And I was using it years ago with Avid Liquid. Great when get used to it and the Auditions feature is awesome.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Haha here we go again ;)
I swear Apple must be laughing at all the negative posts :)
Oh and btw, I just edited a movie clip in QuickTime Pro.
Just sent the invoice to client :)
I guess when I get paid I dont have to claim to the Tax man since its not a real pro job.
Get real you trollers :p

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Haha here we go again ;)
I swear Apple must be laughing at all the negative posts :)
Oh and btw, I just edited a movie clip in QuickTime Pro.
Just sent the invoice to client :)
I guess when I get paid I dont have to claim to the Tax man since its not a real pro job.
Get real you trollers :p

I think I know how they must feel. I remember having a bit of that feeling before I started using Mac OS.. it frustrated me that the "average" Mac user could do things that required "expertise" in Windows.

Of course, looking back, there are a few things that I'd never dream of doing "Windows-style" again. :p

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
It should let you drag .mts (AVCHD) files directly into a project like Premiere can, without having to wrap them in a QuickTime file.
Yea right and Im sure I can list a million things that it should do.
BTW, Premiere aint not peach when it comes to AVCHD and other formats. They all have their faults too. At most facilities I deal with they have Premiere (then Pro) outnumbering FCP legacy and Avid MC due to the CS suite. However you ask any editor there and only one out 10 will use it for finishing :p
Its great for doing quick things but not for anything other than that.
Like I said, they all have their weaknesses.
FCPX is that most that claim they know it or what it cant do, dont :p

----------

I think I know how they must feel. I remember having a bit of that feeling before I started using Mac OS.. it frustrated me that the "average" Mac user could do things that required "expertise" in Windows.

Of course, looking back, there are a few things that I'd never dream of doing "Windows-style" again. :p
You think by now everyone is used to everything. Again I find it funny that everyone knows whats wrong with FCPX but then when push comes to shove they havent really spent any time in it.
God Ive been using Avid, FCP and Premiere (now Pro) for over 10 years now and they all have their stupid problems :p
They just dont get the tabloid mentality that FCPX is receiving.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I'm increasing in temptation to get this. I may wait until they make version 11 though.

What do they provide as an alternative for Soundtrack? It's all done inside FCP?

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011

Couldn't agree more! As a professional nothing ticks me off more then a modern UI! GRRRRRRR!! New things make me angry!!

^ sarcasim ^

Being serious now, my first reaction to the "iMovie UI" was a little apprehensive.....until I started using it. As a pure editor it is ridiculously fast once you get used to it. Yes it's a little too "friendly looking" for my tastes, and yes it's missing a few things, but there's no way you could say it's not a professional app just because you hate the interface. Some people like FCPX some like Avid or Premier. All three are pro and designed for different tastes. I think it's great to have choice. The fact that one of them is only $299 is pretty awesome in my opinion!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.