Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Hehe. Okay.

I am madly in love with this new camera from Sony, the Cyber-shot DSC-T7. Have you guys seen this yet? WOW! And it's so freaking thin! I got to see one in action when I went to E3 last month. Trouble is it's $499. I know, I know. I must have a thing for thin, electronic devices.

I've begun the futile pursuit of justification. This clearly isn't good, I have lost round #1 of my wallet vs. Sony.

I know I'd get a ton of use out of it, and it would last me forever (give or take). I have a big hard drive to fill up. I was even thinking I could make some money with it, doing freelance work for friends and family. Also could use it to shoot short movies and assemble slideshows for my non-profit group. But damn that is a lot of dough. A Mac Mini in fact. :eek:

My heart is pretty set, I've done a bit of shopping. I've been using a Nikon Coolpix 3100. Pretty good images really, but horrible focus... and get this, it eats 2 AA batteries in a matter of minutes. I've been ebaying some stuff and I've already used 8 batteries. :eek:

So what do you guys think? Is spending $500 on a digital camera criminal insanity, or a worthwhile investment for an amateur photographer (and lovers of thin devices)?

Attachments

• DSCT7.jpg
    DSCT7.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 540

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I had a look at one in store a weeks ago and it is beautiful absolutly stunning.........

I think now is a good time to buy technology in general as development has slowed down a bit so it will surely last you a while...

ShadoW ;)

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
Well, i'm just about as crazy about gizmo's and stuff. But please, from an ex ciber-snot owner, don't do it. Their camera's are:

1. overpriced for the performance
2. propriatary memory sticks are insanely overpriced and quite slow
3. my ciber-snot made about 35% out of focus, which is hard to correct with an auto focus
4. it is a protable camera, so you will take it with you, and my experience with sony camera's are that they look absolutely great, but they break easaly
5. sony aftersales care is crap in my experience

If you like the apperence, check out the nikon coolpix S2. Although i know nothing about the picture quality. I think it's a cool machine.

If you do chose for the sony, enjoy is as much as you can, gizmo's are there to be replaced often!!!

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Cuckoo said:
If you like the apperence, check out the nikon coolpix S2. Although i know nothing about the picture quality. I think it's a cool machine.

That one is pretty snazzy too. :) Definitely looks more durable.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
if you are planning on using it for freelance work, then you will find few who will hire you. get something like a Nikon D70 if you plan on freelancing.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Sony makes great digital cameras, along with Canon they are definantly the top two. However this particular model isn't really suited for "freelance work". If you want Sony, and there are resons to pick a Sony over a Canon camera, a model much better suited for freelance would be a V3 or F828 if you don't mind the size. But this is not the forum for digital cameras. If you want some real advice, you should post your question at http://www.steves-digicams.com, not here.

P.S. Sony and Canon's cameras are equal in my eyes. They both have thier advantages and disadvantages but when you average those out they are definantly the two best makers for consumer digital cameras. It might in the end come down to what format you prefer. My desktop has a reader for all the formats but since I have a PSP and I have a Wega with Memory Stick I do prefer Memory Stick (but that preference all depends on what devices you currently own), but all in all there both good because I have a Sony and Canon digicam and I like them both very much.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
treat this as a recreation camera --- do not use this for freelance

personally, I love the vibrancy of the Sony colors, but you cannot adjust the aperture on this camera, nor focus ------- unless I'm wrong?

if you need a reason to buy it, then buy it because its small ------ this is the kind of camera you can throw in your pocket, and take quality pictures at any time --- if you like amateur photography, then this is the thing to get

most professional cameras are too huge to be recreational ----- however, I don't recommend freelancing with this - you could try it though

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
UK
I had a good look at the T7 a few weeks ago when I was buying my pocket camera.

It's got two positives going for it IMO; it's small and it's relatively good looking.

What it is not, is a good camera. Truly style over function in this case.

If you're looking for a good camera, check out the Casio EX-Z750 and in particular, THIS review.

DPreview is another excellent site, and is definitely worth a visit.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
finalcoolman said:
Sony makes great digital cameras, along with Canon they are definantly the top two. P.S. Sony and Canon's cameras are equal in my eyes.

Please tell me you're kidding. How can you compare Sony to Canon? Or are you limiting your statement to Canon's point and shoot line? If that is the case then yeah they're equal. If you generalize and say that Sony and Canon are the top two, why not head out to any major sporting event---or any event where you see a pro and ask him if he is using a sony cyber shot camera---or any sony camera. My guess is he'll look at you laugh and say it's either a canon or a nikon.

As far as point and shoots go, I would say to go with canon or even nikon. They both (if you choose the right canon) take CF cards so when you start to grow out of the camera and into a DSLR you can take your cards with you.

As far as your camera in question goes, all I know is that I've heard it takes very cruddy photos. They're noisy and the focus is soft.

alexeismertin

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2005
Bristol, UK
Sony vs Canon

The Sony is nice to look at, & if you definately want a stylish point & shoot then the last word is the Canon SD500 - 7 megapixel, better image quality & great looking.

Off the topic

The SD500 is a good 'carry always' sort of camera but if you want more creative control, get a Nikon D70s (or a discounted D70) - its bigger & much better (& much more expensive - but worth saving up for)

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
If $500 is too much for you, then get the Canon SD400. It retails for about $400, but if you can find one of them Dell deals, it can be had for about $280. I almost jumped at it for that price about 2 weeks ago, but decided against it because of other expenses.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
jessica. said:
Please tell me you're kidding. How can you compare Sony to Canon? Or are you limiting your statement to Canon's point and shoot line? If that is the case then yeah they're equal. If you generalize and say that Sony and Canon are the top two, why not head out to any major sporting event---or any event where you see a pro and ask him if he is using a sony cyber shot camera---or any sony camera. My guess is he'll look at you laugh and say it's either a canon or a nikon.

As far as point and shoots go, I would say to go with canon or even nikon. They both (if you choose the right canon) take CF cards so when you start to grow out of the camera and into a DSLR you can take your cards with you.

As far as your camera in question goes, all I know is that I've heard it takes very cruddy photos. They're noisy and the focus is soft.

No I'm not kidding and yes, I am talking about consumer point and shoot cameras, not about D-SLR cameras. Sony and Canon make the best consumer point and shoot cameras. Canon and Nikon are the undisputed kings of DSLR cameras. Sony does not make DSLR cameras, but DSLR isn't for everyone anyways. Sony does have some VERY nice prosumer cameras though. The V3 is the best camera I've seen in terms of size versus professional quality. And the Sony F828 is a niche market. It is not a DSLR but has some VERY good features such as a pivoting lens and is a very respectable 8MP. There is no other camera in the world like the F828. And the pro Sony cameras take BOTH Memory Stick and Compact Flash. Look up the V3 and F828 cameras and you will be impressed. So bottom line here is Sony and Canon make the best consumer point and shoot cameras. Nikon and Canon make the best D-SLR cameras. Sony does have some good prosumer options if you want a professional type camera but dont want a DSLR. But stop arguing about digital cameras here. Go to steve-digicams, go to the Sony forum and go argue about Sony cameras there.

P.S. dferrara, if you're looking at Sony but want to do freelance, I would highly recommend the V3. It is about the same price of the T7 but it is a serious camera. While not a DSLR, its relatively compact size is a real plus. You have to understand that the T7 was created for a totally different purpose. The T7 fits in your shirt pocket and is meant for recreational uses like taking pictures of your family and freinds on vacation or taking pictures at a party, that's where its slim design and fashion sense really comes in. It would make a real great second camera for these purposes for someone who already has a bulky pro camera for freelance work, DSLR or not. However it is not for freelance work, for doing things like taking pictures of the sunset, skyline, etc...

dawgfang

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2005
Atlanta
I own this camera and it is awsome. I just got a powerbook a few weeks ago and got the T7 to go with it. If there is ANYTHING wrong with it - it might be it is TOO small. It is kindof hard to use if you have large hands. No biggie tho...

What you won't believe is what good photos it takes. I've shown several people and they were blown away (I am too).

While it is no Nikon D70 (which I want) it will fit in your pocket to be with you when that one picture opportunity comes along. What good is a camera if you don't have it? This one really solves that problem.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I'm going to have to cast a vote for the Casio EX-Z750 like andym. You can get it off of buy.com for under $350 if you find a $15 off coupon. 7.1MP, beautiful 2.5'' lcd, and it literally has double the battery life of any camera in its class. One of my friends has one - finds it fantastic, and had me drooling over the carpet when he brought it over.

--edit 1 minute later--
Just realized that this thread's like half a month old.

Jeez.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Cuckoo said:
Well, i'm just about as crazy about gizmo's and stuff. But please, from an ex ciber-snot owner, don't do it. Their camera's are:

1. overpriced for the performance
2. propriatary memory sticks are insanely overpriced and quite slow
3. my ciber-snot made about 35% out of focus, which is hard to correct with an auto focus
4. it is a protable camera, so you will take it with you, and my experience with sony camera's are that they look absolutely great, but they break easaly
5. sony aftersales care is crap in my experience

If you do chose for the sony, enjoy is as much as you can, gizmo's are there to be replaced often!!!

Obviously this is only my opinion, but I own a DSC-W1 not sure if its the same processor or what. By my experience with Cybershots have been miserable. I had a 2.0MP Canon A40 that took pictures that were levels above in color, crispness, quality, and depth. My W1's pictures are completely washed out looking, dull, everything appears to bright and the colors are lacking very much so. I lost my Canon otherwise i would give up the ability of the 5.0MP the W1 Cybershot in a second. Go with an ELPH that has received good ratings. Their older 2.0MP and 3.2MP Elph's were loved by many. So if you heed any of my advice you would avoid any Sony Cybershot with the W1 guts. Again I am not sure if the W1 contains the same things inside the casing but these small Sony's I have read in multiple places lack in the quality department. Maybe it would be fun for partys or bars but beside that I have found my W1 to be very adequate in any pictures where quality counts. Good luck and i hope things work out for you!

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
MI
dferrara said:
Trouble is it's $499. I know, I know. I must have a thing for thin, electronic devices.

I almost bought this camera over the weekend. I got it down in price off the Dell site (http://www.passwird.com for more details, about 2 pages down). I went to Best Buy to try and match the price (I couldn't wait to get it as I needed it that night), but they would not match. I ended up getting the DSC-T33 and I really like it. (Plus I got it for like $300). It is slightly bigger than the T7, but I also saved ~$120 on it. I've had 2 Kodak digital cameras so far and this one is way nicer. It starts immediately, takes great pictures and I love the giant screen. I am mucho impressed with the new camera!

Jason

evolutioneight

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
My heart is pretty set, I've done a bit of shopping. I've been using a Nikon Coolpix 3100. Pretty good images really, but horrible focus... and get this, it eats 2 AA batteries in a matter of minutes. I've been ebaying some stuff and I've already used 8 batteries.

For what it's worth, I've heard multiple reports the T7 eats batteries as hungrily if not more so, than your nikon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.