Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamerTheProgram

macrumors member
Original poster
Apple TV. How good is it jailbroken?
I want one for my family as we are moving off of cable after finding we hardly use it.
We live in the UK. We want an Apple TV for catch up stuff like:
4oD
Demand 5
BBC i
and ITV Player along with Youtube.
How good will it be for these uses?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Probably not very good for an end-user that cannot simply search a forum that has readily available answers.

There will be tweaks involved, and you will need to have at least basic understanding of how things work.

pheenix11

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
There is nothing that compares to a jailbroken Apple TV in terms of entertainment value. It does require some tweaking and maintenance but there is an overwhelming amount of free content.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Apple TV. How good is it jailbroken?
I want one for my family as we are moving off of cable after finding we hardly use it.
We live in the UK. We want an Apple TV for catch up stuff like:
4oD
Demand 5
BBC i
and ITV Player along with Youtube.
How good will it be for these uses?

A jail broken AppleTV is VERY powerful. But the problem is that it's not very intuitive or smooth for "non-geeks". My wife simply wouldnt use our jailbroken aTV so now I'm back to cable and a regular AppleTV for her.

JamerTheProgram

macrumors member
Original poster
A jail broken AppleTV is VERY powerful. But the problem is that it's not very intuitive or smooth for "non-geeks". My wife simply wouldnt use our jailbroken aTV so now I'm back to cable and a regular AppleTV for her.

Hmm I see.
I am a huge geek, so I know where your coming from.
The only thing I have against XBMC is the fact that I cannot get the 4OD and Demand 5 to work.
This could be a spanner in the works if I cannot get it fixed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.