Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hello everyone, Im trying to determine which areas of the lower 48 states do customers using iPhone on T-Mobile are getting 3G Coverage.....I would appreciate it if you all can contribute confirmed States and Cities, I will add them to this post so others can refer to this thread in the near future if they plan to switch over.

Thanks

Also check out my other thread, May be helpful for those of you looking to get away from AT&T, Sprint, Verizon or even T-Mobile:) https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1356525/

Thanks to Mr Hill below we have a map and a website that shows the 1900MHz 3G Confirmed areas: http://www.airportal.de

Update 1 Feb 13/2013: Guys I have added "GoSmart Mobile" to the title as it is a T-Mobile company, I would love to get updates on users running this SIM in their iPhones and getting 3G, Is it happening?

1900MHz definitely lacks building penetration...thats always going to be the downside of it but If u have a good wifi at home and at work then one can definitely live with T-Mobile and its MVNO's (

T-Mobile MVNO's Incl.
- Simple Mobile (Best $50 deal with Unlimited 3G/4G deal which I'm sure is caped at some point and ill guess its ~ 5GB)
- GoSmart Mobile (Best $45 deal with 5GB @ 3G/4G soft cap + 2G/EDGE Unlimited Data)
- Ultra Mobile
- Ptel Mobile
- Spot Mobile (Best ~$40 or under Deal w/ 500MB @ 4G/3G soft cap + 2G/EDGE Unlimited Data who are on same account not that it makes any difference as compared to Walmart)
- Walmart Family Mobile (Best $40 deal for a Individual users with 1GB @ 3G/4G soft cap + 2G/EDGE Unlimited Data)
- Solavei

Attachments

• 2012-10-22 10.10.50 pm.jpg
    2012-10-22 10.10.50 pm.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 4,931
Last edited:

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
3G? I wish. When I used my iPhone 3G & i4 on T-mobile I always got EDGE.

T-Mo 3G will never be on the iPhone because the iPhone doesn't support T-Mo's 3G radio

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
3G? I wish. When I used my iPhone 3G & i4 on T-mobile I always got EDGE.

T-Mo 3G will never be on the iPhone because the iPhone doesn't support T-Mo's 3G radio

Actually T-Mobile has Started To Roll out 1900MHz HSPA+ to add support for the iPhone in few markets in the west coast.....over the next year or so they will have coverage in more big markets.....should follow the news more often:)

Some lucky users are already enjoying the 3G service on their T-Mobile'd iPhone's, I want to find out who and where:D

SCARY GAY DAD

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2011
DISNEYLAND
Actually T-Mobile has Started To Roll out 1900MHz HSPA+ to add support for the iPhone in few markets in the west coast.....over the next year or so they will have coverage in more big markets.....should follow the news more often:)

Some lucky users are already enjoying the 3G service on their T-Mobile'd iPhone's, I want to find out who and where:D
Is San Diego on their list?

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
There should be more with the deal they cut the Clear's parent company.

nodrogkam

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
San Franciscio
T-Mobile Statement Highlights Network Refarming For iPhone Customers

Source: http://www.tmonews.com/2012/04/t-mobile-statement-highlights-network-refarming-for-iphone-customers/

tmobileiphone.jpg

In addition to last December's announcements, the recent announcement by AT&T to unlock iPhones for their customers has prompted T-Mobile to respond.

Long story short, T-Mobile says, bring it on and save money! And that they are indeed switching their 1900mhz spectrum from 2g to 3g and 3.5g this year to make room for LTE in 2013. This will allow a ton of devices to finally work on T-Mobile's 3G and essentially align T-Mobile's network with the rest of the nation/world.

So indeed we should be seeing iPhones with 3G and maybe even iPhone 4s with 4G signal indicators soon. I know my factory unlocked iPhone 4S gives me the option to turn on "4G" when I get no service (ironically it only shows turn on 3G when I do have T-Mobile service).

Anyways thanks for starting this thread, I was hoping T-Mobile would put up some map or something to let customers know when towers have changed. That being said, my 4S turns 3G service back on each time I reboot it, so I guess I'll know when I see it. =)

http://maktech.tumblr.com/post/20814097914/t-mobile-bring-on-the-unlocked-iphones

macinnv

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I too would be interested in building a map. I read somewhere that most of the 1900mhz spectrum rollout won't occur until 4th quarter this year, however can't find that article anywhere.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Kind of late to the thread, but whatever. Anyways, some people already have had T-Mobile 3G on their iPhone for several months now. According to one site, users in the Pacific Northwest, Nevada, Utah, and California should have 3G. Perhaps they could have been a bit more specific, but that is a good start.

----------

The B748 is king of the hill :)

Greggae512

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
call Tmobile sales; they'll check the map

I called Tmobile sales @ 1-877-353-3614 & had them run the zip code; sure enough I was in the 1900Mhz coverage as expected being near TMobile's USA HQ in Bellevue WA. They said it was one of the first areas to be re-farmed.
:)

Cingular

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
I remember seeing a map with the Tmobile spectrums a while back over at Howard Forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You might have to come back and ask in a year's time, or at the earliest at the end of the year. I believe that's when T-Mobile is expected to fully acquire and use new spectrum from ATT.

nodrogkam

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
San Franciscio
Kind of late to the thread, but whatever. Anyways, some people already have had T-Mobile 3G on their iPhone for several months now. According to one site, users in the Pacific Northwest, Nevada, Utah, and California should have 3G. Perhaps they could have been a bit more specific, but that is a good start.

----------

The B748 is king of the hill :)

I have been all over NorCal and SoCal this week and there's no 3G showing up on my iPhone 4S.

pit5

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
i've been waiting for somebody to make a list or map for a long time?

can we really just call and ask if area is reframed? the people we talk to on the phone and even the stores never know anything...

nodrogkam

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
San Franciscio
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/articles/4GNetworkEvolutionVendorsSelected

Key take-aways from today's PR:

“We’re making great progress on our four billion dollar 4G network transformation,” said Neville Ray, chief technology officer, T-Mobile USA. “With these partners on board and the AT&T AWS spectrum secured, we’re on track to enhance our 4G experience this year and deliver nationwide LTE in 2013.”

&

"As part of the company’s network modernization effort, T-Mobile also plans to launch 4G HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band in a large number of markets by the end of the year. Network modernization trials have shown up to a 33 percent increase in HSPA+ data speeds as well as improved in-building coverage. Rolling out 4G HSPA+ services in the 1900 MHz band will also provide customers with the ability to use a broader range of devices, including the iPhone, on T-Mobile’s 4G network."

Risingkazuya05

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Just got 3G on my iPhone 4S just 5 minutes away from my house going to work this morning. Drove to the same route after 5pm on the way back and it's back to edge again :( I live in Federal Way, WA (south of Seattle). Got 1.54mbps download and 2.0mbps upload using the speedtest.net app

amaury

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
i get tmobile 3G signal in a iphone 4s factory unlock

I received t-mobile 3G signal in a iphone 4s factory unlock in paterson nj USA on was way to my house I made this video because I did not believe I opened the app internet speed test and was giving me 3.80.mbps then the signal was lost I will go through the same area to make a better video then see a sample video and had signal in parts of New Jersey but thatcomes and goes..:confused:

http://youtu.be/vUN2awJFKms

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Do you guys really save enough money to justify being on 2g most of the time? I would seriously jump off a bridge if I was relegated to edge speeds.

nodrogkam

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
San Franciscio
Do you guys really save enough money to justify being on 2g most of the time? I would seriously jump off a bridge if I was relegated to edge speeds.

If/when 2G is working at capacity, it's actually not terrible and the battery life is great. At least for me, I am in areas where I have access to wifi a lot so there's little need for me to use mobile data. Not saying that I wouldn't, perhaps, utilize the phone more if I had faster data. In some ways it's nice, because otherwise I'd be kind of glued to my phone like some people are, and that's really disrespectful in group settings..but that's a totally separate discussion topic.

elguero

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
I'm posting this on 3G in Brooklyn. Also had 3G oddly enough on a remote beach in Queens a few hours ago. Lightening surely can't strike twice in places 20+ miles apart within hours. Any other NYC sightings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.