Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1
doubleohseven
macrumors 6502a

How do I remove data from a broken iPhone?

Not retrieve, but remove.

I have a broken iPhone 3GS that I want to sell for parts. It fell onto a carpet floor and never turned on again. I want to know if there's a way to remove the data from the flash drive before I sell it, as I'm quite sure that the flash drive still has my personal data on it.

Or alternatively, is there a way for me to extract the flash drive from the iPhone and sell it without it?

Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
mo0620
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleohseven View Post
Not retrieve, but remove.

I have a broken iPhone 3GS that I want to sell for parts. It fell onto a carpet floor and never turned on again. I want to know if there's a way to remove the data from the flash drive before I sell it, as I'm quite sure that the flash drive still has my personal data on it.

Or alternatively, is there a way for me to extract the flash drive from the iPhone and sell it without it?

Thanks!
does iTunes even detect the iPhone? Because if it does, then maybe your screen connector just got loose, or needs to be replaced.
mo0620 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
doubleohseven
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0620 View Post
does iTunes even detect the iPhone? Because if it does, then maybe your screen connector just got loose, or needs to be replaced.
Nope, not recognised by iTunes unfortunately. Left it overnight on a wall charger and this didn't do anything either.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:12 AM   #4
mo0620
macrumors regular

Quote:
Nope, not recognised by iTunes unfortunately. Left it overnight on a wall charger and this didn't do anything either.
You tried holding Power+Home button? Also tried getting into recovery or DFU mode?
mo0620 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:55 AM   #5
doubleohseven
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo0620 View Post
You tried holding Power+Home button? Also tried getting into recovery or DFU mode?
Yes, yes and yes.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Benson11
Banned

First of all, Connect the iPhone to your computer to installed iTunes, and run iTunes and after disconnecting it from the computer then give the battery for run out and Press and Hold the home button down for 15 seconds. then again connect it with computer and follow the next steps carefully and then i hope there will be no data on your phone. You may also follow the next step.
Settings > General > Reset> Reset All Settings. And at last hope for the best.
Benson11 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:46 AM   #7
gngan
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson11 View Post
First of all, Connect the iPhone to your computer to installed iTunes, and run iTunes and after disconnecting it from the computer then give the battery for run out and Press and Hold the home button down for 15 seconds. then again connect it with computer and follow the next steps carefully and then i hope there will be no data on your phone. You may also follow the next step.
Settings > General > Reset> Reset All Settings. And at last hope for the best.
Are you serious? I guess people are too lazy to read nowadays.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:17 AM   #8
emjaycee18
macrumors regular

You could try to log on to iCloud.com, and do a remote wipe through Find my iPhone. The only problem with this is, the remote wipe will only work when the phone is powered up and detected. You can also set a remote lock as a back up precaution as well.
emjaycee18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:23 AM   #9
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
There is no standalone Flash drive. There is a Flash chip soldered to a board that would be very difficult to remove.

If whoever buys the phone manages to get it running again with the same board, then yes they'd likely have access to your info.

If you're worried about that, I'd say to not sell it, or perhaps take it apart and sell everything except the board with the Flash chip. (See iFixit website to find out which one that is.)

Luck!
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:58 PM   #10
fiveainone
macrumors 6502a

hmm.. this is a good idea. mine is in the same situation, and it's just sitting there collecting dust. I wonder if my local repair shop would take the parts..
fiveainone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:27 PM   #11
reclusive46
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveainone View Post
hmm.. this is a good idea. mine is in the same situation, and it's just sitting there collecting dust. I wonder if my local repair shop would take the parts..
Did it have a pass code? The data without the encryption key is practically deleted anyway.
reclusive46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 03:33 PM   #12
iMarvin
macrumors 6502

Remove the board and destroy it, sell the parts. Or cut up a iPhone charger cable and hook it up to a car battery, should destroy the chip, but also everything else electronic inside.
iMarvin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 03:52 PM   #13
ross1998
macrumors 6502a

If you have information on your iPhone you don't want other people to possibly have then just throw it away. A broken iPhone 3GS is worth 30 dollars at most and even less if you remove the chip.
ross1998 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:30 PM   #14
NataliaAftermat
macrumors newbie

Problem Solved Atlast...

I have Sucessfully Recovered all of my data from My Broken Screen iPhone 4s using the 2nd software mentioned in this Article
I hope this works for you guys Aswell..!
NataliaAftermat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone