Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Flamez1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
The end of my power cord is a yellow colour, and I've noticed that it's kinda turning blueish too. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• Photo on 12-04-11 at 1.30 AM #3.jpg
    Photo on 12-04-11 at 1.30 AM #3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,799

FWRN

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
Charlotte, NC
MagSafe cables tend to do that over time and it usually happens after a few months. This is most likely caused by some heating or possible wiring issue. I noticed it on mine when I used to buy non-Apple MagSafe chargers.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Both my MagSafes are fine...MBP and the one for my MBA....They are the originals that came with my Macs, no discolouration at all. I take your point about third party chargers..I've never used one, and never would. If they break, it's genuine Apple replacements.

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
On a limb here, but do you smoke?

That seems to be the spot where I normally handle my adapter when I disconnect it from the computer, so I was wondering if the discoloration could be from something you have on your fingers?

Blue could possibly be ink from a pen or a marker. I've had that on an old charger myself.

-KJ

Edit: The easiest way to see if this is something that is happening from the inside out or the other way around would probably be to look under the attached clip. If my theory about this being something that is applied to the outside, you would see that the cord is whiter under the clip.

Last edited:

King Flamez1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I don't smoke, and I've had it for a couple of months now, it looks like its getting slightly darker

----------

It's also the original one that came with my MBP

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
The end of my power cord is a yellow colour, and I've noticed that it's kinda turning blueish too. Should I be worried?

Do you often remove/attach the charger? It does look like dirt stains. I'm not calling you dirty though, just to be clear ;)

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I'm not an electrician, but it looks like the insulation is being cooked by the wires they envelope. I'd say take it in to get it looked at and expect to be told to buy a new adapter/power cord.

Reactions: simonsi

tarponbeach

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
I'm not an electrician, but it looks like the insulation is being cooked by the wires they envelope. I'd say take it in to get it looked at and expect to be told to buy a new adapter/power cord.

That is exactly what it looks like.

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
... and if he slides the little white clip a little down the cord, he'll easily see if this is something that happens from inside the cord or not.

-KJ

King Flamez1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Toronto, Canada
... and if he slides the little white clip a little down the cord, he'll easily see if this is something that happens from inside the cord or not.

-KJ

I slid it down, there was some weird brown lining across the end of the cord. The yellow was fainter there so I guess it might be just because of some of the dust left on my floor since thats where I leave it when it's not plugged in.

jevel

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
I know the feeling.

I understand that Apple wants the design to be nice, but all my chargers since my my first PowerBook G4 has gotten very dirty after a while. I bet the initial look would be a little less attractive if they made them black or grey, but in the long run it would probably look better for those who travel a bit with it.

-KJ

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I'm going to say that's not normal, and suggest you take it to an Apple store and request a replacement. It looks to me as though the insulation is cooking.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
I'm going to say that's not normal, and suggest you take it to an Apple store and request a replacement. It looks to me as though the insulation is cooking.

Exactly what I thought.

OP, have you smelled anything funny while using your laptop under heavy use?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Take it in. The discolouration is from the cable heating up. There is an issue as it should t do that!

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
I definitely believe you should ignores comments about it being dirt, just try to clean it and see if you feel its a hazzle to bring it to an apr. But seeing as how some chargers have had issues, Im voting for the heat problem, unless youre shoveling cowdung all day without washing your hands before handling your laptop, which sounds like the less likely alternative.

shardey

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Colorado
It's dirt and oil from your fingers. Nothing to see here, move along.

Ok Mister Knowitall.

I don't think its dirt, as I have oil filled radiators with white power cords that have gotten yellowish/brown over this passed winter and it's solely due to being used heavily. Not sure if that applies in this situation.

njp90

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2016

Yes my 2013 MBP cord started doing this over about 6 months, Im also not a smoker and I've been extremely careful with the cord. Its yellowing got worse and worse and over the last week I've used my mac more (by more i mean a few hours compared to not at all ) and its not split right open.

Apples cable quailities have gotten worse and worse over the years my iPhone 6s lightning cable bubbled and split with extremely light use just the other day too and i did fill out the warranty with that one.

Its just frustrating you pay a premium AND you are extremely careful and it still does this.

Im pretty sure I'm leaving the apple eco system...

Owner of 2013 MBP, Apple TV 2nd(or3rd) gen, iPhone 6s

Previous owner of iPhone 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s, 5, 6.

I know someone will be like don't let the door hit you on the way out but i mean ive stuck with this eco system for years and its always been the same...

Headphones are always failing too, finally got a decent over the ear pair(august EP650 highly recommended) so i don't have to keep spending 35$ on stupid apple ones that last maybe 90 days.

Im not here to s*** talk the brand more or less let you know that you are not alone..

both my iPhone 6s and mbp cords have electrical tape on them so that premium feel is right out of the window...

I hope you all have a wonderful day and i truly hope noone else experiences this although i know you will.

Cheers

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Plastics tend to discolor with UV rays. You don't happen to keep your computer by a window, perchance?

njp90

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2016
Plastics tend to discolor with UV rays. You don't happen to keep your computer by a window, perchance?

Absolutely not, I know you are right but the reason i don't is because i understand how lithium ion batteries work ( not so well with heat)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.