Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:33 AM   #26
urkel
macrumors 68020

I think the lesson here is that when you get a deal then don't share it with strangers.

Last edited by urkel; Apr 12, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
urkel is offline   4
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:36 AM   #27
iHeartsteve
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodlover77 View Post
if i was in your situation. I would keep it 100%. But then again, i know its not right.

Your post sounds like your trying to find justification in keeping it. I mean, lets be real here. Its unethical for sure but alot of people, me included, would keep it.

One thing that bothers me is the fact that your trying to say (or it seems that way) that one of the reasons why you won't return it is because your afraid that the employee will get fired. seems like a really weak reason.

be up front about it. you got the ipad in a harmless yet unethical way. just enjoy the deal!
This! sorry I don't think the SA would get fired necessarily. Lol the store made a mistake and charged you the wrong price.

You didn't undermine or do some sneaky swap to get the new iPad for ipad2 price. Nothing illegal about. I don't think it's unethical since it was the stores fault. Its not the customers job to do inventory check or to manage the sales associate on the every action. But like others said, if you were to be an honest citizen, then giving it back or paying for difference is the honest thing.

Nothing wrong w keeping it!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:52 AM   #28
urkel
macrumors 68020

Dont forget that IF you returned it They would have to mark it as open-box and discount it $75. Not to mention the man hours by the manager, returns clerk and service tech that you'd have to drag off of their smoking breaks. So By keeping if you are doing them a favor

(BTW. I really wonder how many people's opinions would change if this were an Apple Store making a mistake vs Micro Center...)
urkel is offline   1
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:00 AM   #29
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
What if I did bring it back to the store and the person that did the price match got fired? I guess I would have done the right thing correct? People make honest mistakes in life. And the reason I did not check the iPad was because I figured the store clerk would pick the right model. There was a white iPad on the box and I figured that hey, white iPad 2 for $359 is a good deal. I'm not going to open up the box in the middle of the store and check for dead pixels. And remember the boxes look the same. Can you tell the difference between a iPad 2 and iPad 3 box at first glance? It's not the stores fault that Apple made the boxes look similar.
Whatever happens to the sales person is a completely separate issue from what you should morally do. If he got fired for a mistake he made, then thats just the way it goes down. Lets not pretend you're out there looking out for his job anyway. You're keeping it because you want it, not because you're concerned for this poor guy that made a mistake in ringing up your purchase. Whatever happened to him is with him. You can only control you and your life. Not his.

I can sympathize with the fact that the boxes look so much alike. I know! Infact, i just did a google search for the new box and it looks near identical. No "iPad 3" or anything on the box, so yeah. Even if you checked at the store, it'd be hard to tell. But thats not really the issue either is it? Thats just another way to distract from the issue.

The issue was and always has been that when you got home and saw that you benefited wrongly from someone's mistake, you not only didn't do the right thing and return it, you went online and boasted about how you got it the "honest" way. What's honest about it? When you're keeping important information from the retailer about how you got something you didn't pay for, you think thats honest? Want a link to the definition of "honest"?

Anyway, it's hard to really argue with you on this issue since like i said, i'd do the same as you and probably keep it myself. I'm not really arguing about you keeping it, but on your wording and further justification of it. It'd be one thing if you said "i lucked out and accidentally got an iPad 3. Cool!" but you didn't. You literally said you got an iPad 3 without paying for it and it was the "honest" way of going about it. You're only mistake is wording and instead of recognizing it as a mistake, you further tried to justify with ridiculous excuses about you being worried about the employee or that you shouldn't have to pay gas money to return it or some other dumb ****.

Me? I would've kept it. Well, probably. There's no telling if i'd feel guilty in the moment, but i'd say there's a possibility i'd keep it. I would've gotten home, seen i got an iPad 3 by mistake and did a happy dance. Then, leave it at that. I wouldn't have gone online to brag about it and call it "honest" and then basically say the employee was an idiot and had it coming. No. I would've known what i did was wrong. I could've returned it and gotten what i paid for and i didn't. Thats why i would've....SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT IT.

I mean really. Congrats on the new iPad, but you have some really messed up morals if you really want to come on here, take advantage of someone that made a mistake, justify it with "well they were stupid so i should get to keep it" and then get on the defensive like you're so shocked at why anyone would disagree with you on this.

Seriously...most of us would've done the same thing. Most of us wouldn't justify doing the wrong thing though. Thats just stupid. Just out of curiosity, what size was it? 16 gig?
Soulweaponry is offline   6
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:18 AM   #30
mcdj
macrumors 604

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/479247/homeless.jpg
mcdj is offline   7
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:23 AM   #31
iHeartsteve
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Lol awesome! Did you photoshop that text in? Hahhaa
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:31 AM   #32
mcdj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHeartsteve View Post
Lol awesome! Did you photoshop that text in? Hahhaa
Nope, snapped it on my way to a friend's place tonight just outside Round Lake, IL.
mcdj is offline   4
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:33 AM   #33
iHeartsteve
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Nope, snapped it on my way to a friend's place tonight just outside Round Lake, IL.
Lol righhhhhht
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:34 AM   #34
richpjr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
There's no way anyone on here would drive all the way back and give back their own iPad.
I would have brought it back. The salesperson made a mistake and I would not feel right taking advantage of it.

My wallet fell out of my pocket in a rest room at a restaurant when I was in college. I had just cashed my paycheck and had around $150 in it. Someone found it, looked up my name in the phone book and drove it to my house and gave it back to me. Wouldn't take a dime from me as a reward. He just told me - someday you may find a wallet and the person who lost it will feel just like you do now. I always remembered that on the rare occasions when something like this happens.
richpjr is offline   9
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:48 AM   #35
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulweaponry View Post
Whatever happens to the sales person is a completely separate issue from what you should morally do. If he got fired for a mistake he made, then thats just the way it goes down. Lets not pretend you're out there looking out for his job anyway. You're keeping it because you want it, not because you're concerned for this poor guy that made a mistake in ringing up your purchase. Whatever happened to him is with him. You can only control you and your life. Not his.

I can sympathize with the fact that the boxes look so much alike. I know! Infact, i just did a google search for the new box and it looks near identical. No "iPad 3" or anything on the box, so yeah. Even if you checked at the store, it'd be hard to tell. But thats not really the issue either is it? Thats just another way to distract from the issue.

The issue was and always has been that when you got home and saw that you benefited wrongly from someone's mistake, you not only didn't do the right thing and return it, you went online and boasted about how you got it the "honest" way. What's honest about it? When you're keeping important information from the retailer about how you got something you didn't pay for, you think thats honest? Want a link to the definition of "honest"?

Anyway, it's hard to really argue with you on this issue since like i said, i'd do the same as you and probably keep it myself. I'm not really arguing about you keeping it, but on your wording and further justification of it. It'd be one thing if you said "i lucked out and accidentally got an iPad 3. Cool!" but you didn't. You literally said you got an iPad 3 without paying for it and it was the "honest" way of going about it. You're only mistake is wording and instead of recognizing it as a mistake, you further tried to justify with ridiculous excuses about you being worried about the employee or that you shouldn't have to pay gas money to return it or some other dumb ****.

Me? I would've kept it. Well, probably. There's no telling if i'd feel guilty in the moment, but i'd say there's a possibility i'd keep it. I would've gotten home, seen i got an iPad 3 by mistake and did a happy dance. Then, leave it at that. I wouldn't have gone online to brag about it and call it "honest" and then basically say the employee was an idiot and had it coming. No. I would've known what i did was wrong. I could've returned it and gotten what i paid for and i didn't. Thats why i would've....SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT IT.

I mean really. Congrats on the new iPad, but you have some really messed up morals if you really want to come on here, take advantage of someone that made a mistake, justify it with "well they were stupid so i should get to keep it" and then get on the defensive like you're so shocked at why anyone would disagree with you on this.

Seriously...most of us would've done the same thing. Most of us wouldn't justify doing the wrong thing though. Thats just stupid. Just out of curiosity, what size was it? 16 gig?
This.

I would've kept the iPad, too. But there's no question that the honest thing to do is to go back to the store and return it for what you intended to buy.

As for the poster above that said this is a classic example of what's wrong with society, I submit to you that it's a classic example of human nature. Put humans in any situation where resources are scarce, and so-called principles will fly out the window. Welcome to the real world. A world where everyone walks around telling the truth, doing honest deeds exists only in the imagination.
thelookingglass is offline   1
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:48 AM   #36
gdjsnyder
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to gdjsnyder
In regards to the original post, I can not judge the OP as it was the stores mistake and not his, and whether it's morally right or wrong to keep it is up to the OP to decide.

However I will say this: I work in the medical profession, everything is monitored, 24/7 such as medications, especially controlled substances. I saw a nurse, through no fault of their own, an "honest mistake", give a patient an extra Vicodin because the patient was in excruciating pain. A year ago I saw a different nurse taking care of a patient wHo was their friend outside of the hospital, and willingly gave that friend prescription medication not ordered for him. Both nurses were fired.

The moral I make here: an honest mistake or purposeful, it doesn't matter. What the OP may call lucky may not be lucky for someone else- maybe that employee who made this honest mistake depends on this job, and perhaps like medications in the hospital, serial numbers are checked against inventory and when an inventory unit is missing, it will go right back to the employee who scanned it. And then possibly no job, because the employee can't prove one way or another that it was just an "honest mistake".

Just my two cents.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:48 AM   #37
iHeartsteve
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
I would have brought it back. The salesperson made a mistake and I would not feel right taking advantage of it.

My wallet fell out of my pocket in a rest room at a restaurant when I was in college. I had just cashed my paycheck and had around $150 in it. Someone found it, looked up my name in the phone book and drove it to my house and gave it back to me. Wouldn't take a dime from me as a reward. He just told me - someday you may find a wallet and the person who lost it will feel just like you do now. I always remembered that on the rare occasions when something like this happens.
I've def turned in my fair share of people dropping or leaving their phone behind. Or dropping a $20 bill while at a register. Never found anyones wallet so far but would def return that. To me at least, giving back someones personal belongings is different. I'm sure someone else would argue this but from my stand point it is.

This iPad issue is business. The business/SA made a business mistake. Similar to any retailer mistakingly printing the wrong price on an ad or something. Many stores have to honor the price listed. This SA gave him the wrong item and charged another price.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:20 AM   #38
richpjr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I've def turned in my fair share of people dropping or leaving their phone behind. Or dropping a $20 bill while at a register. Never found anyones wallet so far but would def return that. To me at least, giving back someones personal belongings is different. I'm sure someone else would argue this but from my stand point it is.

This iPad issue is business. The business/SA made a business mistake. Similar to any retailer mistakingly printing the wrong price on an ad or something. Many stores have to honor the price listed. This SA gave him the wrong item and charged another price.
Losing a wallet or grabbing the wrong box are both mistakes, regardless of who made it. I can only speak for myself in that I wouldn't want to profit from someone's mistake.
richpjr is offline   2
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:03 AM   #39
aa521490
macrumors regular

Lucky you. I am jealous.
aa521490 is offline   1
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:59 AM   #40
GUCCIMAN
macrumors regular

This entire thread and everyone including I wasting time about such a common act of dubious morality is seriously first world problems!

Those that are bashing him or piping in the guilt trip must never of played a pirated game, have never downloaded copies of programs or seen a bootlegged DVD.

There are many who do what I've just listed, astronomically fewer who are completely opposite, but c'mon. When life hands u lemons, don't throw ur back At the sky. It's not like he willingly and knowingly did this, what's done is done. If he drives back like someone mentions, are they going to compensate him for his time and gas? What about the bandwidth he used to make this thread and get here?

Bigger picture people
GUCCIMAN is offline   -1
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:06 AM   #41
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUCCIMAN View Post
This entire thread and everyone including I wasting time about such a common act of dubious morality is seriously first world problems!

Those that are bashing him or piping in the guilt trip must never of played a pirated game, have never downloaded copies of programs or seen a bootlegged DVD.

There are many who do what I've just listed, astronomically fewer who are completely opposite, but c'mon. When life hands u lemons, don't throw ur back At the sky. It's not like he willingly and knowingly did this, what's done is done. If he drives back like someone mentions, are they going to compensate him for his time and gas? What about the bandwidth he used to make this thread and get here?

Bigger picture people
You totally ignored what people in here were actually talking about. Morality was a part of it, but bragging about doing something not so cool isn't exactly something anyone should be doing. Considering pretty much all of us freely said "Hey. We'd do the same thing if we were in your position!" i don't think we're all oblivious to how we'd act if we were in his situation
Soulweaponry is offline   0
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:27 AM   #42
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
And this is a classic example of what is wrong with society and principles
Welcome to a real world, not coated in glazing and beautiful gumdrops. Morals are subjective from human to human, an excellent thing that separates us all into somebody different who can live their own life.

A lot of you seem to be attacking the OPs integrity and telling him how immoral and dishonest he is, as if somehow his personal actions are changing the world in any way. He's just another person getting by in life. Why don't you all go and dedicate your lives to save starving children or something? I mean, that's super moral, isnt't it?
Dangerous Theory is offline   2
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:54 AM   #43
kemo
macrumors 6502a

I for example get instead of one 3G sim card with 3 months unlimited internet 4 of them, so Im enjoying one year free unlimited internet on new iPad. Just because I have asked - don't you have more of them guys? They always do

----------

Quote:
rofl!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:05 AM   #44
barryl85
macrumors regular

I would keep it too.

Ever been short changed at a store only to notice when you get home and you go back they refuse to help? I have.

And what about if it was someone who didn't know much about iPads and didn't even realise they had been given the newest one? Are they responsible for the workers actions?

NO

Enjoy your new iPad
barryl85 is offline   2
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:08 AM   #45
JohnnyComeLatly
macrumors member

Sounds similar to moral issue on a flight

I was on a 18 hour flight from Los Angeles to Dubai, and when we landed there was a really long wait to get off. As we waited for the doors to be opened, there was a very beligerant person who pushed past quite a few people (5 or 6) and was very abrasive.

After watching him make a spectacle of himself, me and the person who sat next to me (the row behind the @$$hole) looked down at his seat. There was a nice shiny iPad2. He looked at me, down at the iPad and back at me. He finally said, "Yours?" which he knew the answer to... So we paused. Finally, I called out to the *******, "Sir, is this yours?" holding up his iPad. He now had the really funnny (to us), awkward (for him) situation where he not only had to come back through all the people he'd pushed past, but still wait (the doors were still closed) BEHIND all the people he'd been so nasty towards.

Karma baby.
JohnnyComeLatly is offline   4
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:23 AM   #46
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRP View Post
Using a sales person mistake to your advantage isn't "honest". But whatever helps you sleep at night.

That said I probably wouldn't return it either.
Then why say it at all.

----------

Quote:
I really want to agree with you. Really. Like all the times i go through the drive thru at wendys or mcdonalds or something and they get my order wrong and i have to drive all the way back when i see the mistake just so they can correct me. Bad service pisses me the hell of. If i ever got an extra burger in the future, i'd probably keep it.

But in this situation, exploiting a mistake made isn't getting something the honest way. I'm a complete hypocrite saying this because if i was in your situation, i'd do the exact same thing. I mean really. If they handed you change back and instead of a $1 bill they gave you $100 by accident, and you kept it, is that getting it the honest way? Just because they handed you the wrong thing and you were allowed to walk out of the store without being called a thief, doesn't make it right. Just know this: If they knew on your way out that you paid that price for an iPad 3, would they have stopped you? Why? Because it's not right.

Again, i would've probably seen it when i got home, been like "score! Good luck for once" and kept it too. But i can recognize that it's not the right thing to do. The right thing to do would be go back to the store, tell them the mistake and have them correct it.

Now i don't know why you're trying to justify it with "well they made the mistake so screw them" but it's not right. Even you should be able to recognize that. I'm not asking you to return it, just saying. At least recognize that it wasn't exactly honest. The "but they're not going to reimburse me for gas money" excuse doesn't work when you should've made sure what you're getting was what you paid for. Just like me getting the wrong order at wendys, i should've checked the bag. I can't bitch because i decided to drive all the way home without checking my stuff.

Anyway, i can see you're going to get some hate. I'm not trying to add onto it, just a reality check. Theres nothing worse than doing something wrong and then justifying it afterwards with "i'm allowed to do this wrong thing because they're stupid"

Anyway, congrats!
How's it on the fence? Really, did you need to waste the time posting this?

Last edited by ZipZap; Apr 12, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
ZipZap is offline   -2
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:26 AM   #47
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

I just flicked thru this thread, I want all 3 seconds of my life back
Fruit Cake is offline   -4
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:38 AM   #48
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
That never crossed my mind. Never thought that a "honest" mistake could get someone in trouble. Guess I can sleep better at night.
It can't. It won't. If that were true, there'd be no one working in retail.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag'nGT View Post
The < 10% of people with complaints and you listen to them like they're the majority. We've already seen polls of users who claim there's no issue.
Sure there are issues. There are always issues. Anyone who says otherwise is FOS.

----------

Quote:
There's no way anyone on here would drive all the way back and give back their own iPad. Haters on here. Enjoy your new iPad! I would have kept it also. And I do agree the sales person would probably get in trouble.

Having said that, technically the honest thing to do is bring it back but your not obligated to do so. It was the sales associates mistake.
Have the guts to have a point.

----------

Quote:
What if I did bring it back to the store and the person that did the price match got fired? I guess I would have done the right thing correct? People make honest mistakes in life. And the reason I did not check the iPad was because I figured the store clerk would pick the right model. There was a white iPad on the box and I figured that hey, white iPad 2 for $359 is a good deal. I'm not going to open up the box in the middle of the store and check for dead pixels. And remember the boxes look the same. Can you tell the difference between a iPad 2 and iPad 3 box at first glance? It's not the stores fault that Apple made the boxes look similar.
You dont need to defend your decision. You did the right thing. Enjoy it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparjr View Post
And this is a classic example of what is wrong with society and principles
Wha Wha....there are other countries you can live in if you're not happy with our retail system.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getitdone View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you didn't get lucky the honest way. And don't even try to kid yourself that you are helping to save the job of the sales clerk who made an honest mistake.

But the good news is that you can correct the situation by calling the store and arranging to either return the iPad3 for the iPad 2 or offering to give them your credit card information so that you can pay them the difference in price that you owe them. Or maybe, just maybe, they will tell you to just keep it and eat the cost.

The choice is yours - be honest or not.
This thread is really useless....

He made a purchase and left. End of story.
If it turns out he got the wrong thing and wants to do something about it he can. Its his item now and he can make the call morality and judgement free.
ZipZap is offline   0
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:15 AM   #49
ditzy
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Now i don't know why you're trying to justify it with "well they made the mistake so screw them" but it's not right. Even you should be able to recognize that. I'm not asking you to return it, just saying. At least recognize that it wasn't exactly honest. The "but they're not going to reimburse me for gas money" excuse doesn't work when you should've made sure what you're getting was what you paid for. Just like me getting the wrong order at wendys, i should've checked the bag. I can't bitch because i decided to drive all the way home without checking my stuff.

Anyway, i can see you're going to get some hate. I'm not trying to add onto it, just a reality check. Theres nothing worse than doing something wrong and then justifying it afterwards with "i'm allowed to do this wrong thing because they're stupid"

Anyway, congrats!
I agree that the OP should let the store know that they have made a mistake, but, I do not believe that it is his responsibility to rectify that mistake. If they send a person who works at the store to his home or place of work to pick it up, while bringing the iPad 2 that he paid for, that would be acceptable. However as the package has been opened they can no longer sell it as new, I doubt it is worth their while to do this.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:12 AM   #50
Thomas Davie
macrumors 6502

I would return it, and I have done so as regards similar incidents in the past. I drove back a few miles to return about 20$ extra that a kid gave to me in change for some burgers at a fast food joint.

Did I come buy it 'honestly'? No, it was a mistake on the kid's part and one I didn't want him getting fired for.

You received something that you did not contract or pay for. Return it, or phone and explain what happened. You're a thief. Stay away from where I live please.

Tom
Thomas Davie is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland