Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:02 PM   #76
ashVID
macrumors regular

One thing for sure, going on the Internet to brag about it was NOT the right thing to do. What if that employee's boss is a forum member? What if others now try the same thing?

I would have returned it myself, it WILL come up when they check stock and someone will be accountable. No matter what, you should have kept it quiet. Bad internet.

Ash
ashVID is offline   1
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:36 PM   #77
iHeartsteve
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by plucky duck View Post
Even before this thread just looking at the boxes one could very well guess something like this was due to happen sooner or later.
I bet this this happened more than 50 times lol and will continue to happen.
MacBook Pro | 15 Retina Display
iHeartsteve is offline   1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:27 AM   #78
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

I'm so glad i got out of this discussion when i did
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:35 AM   #79
iHeartsteve
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulweaponry View Post
I'm so glad i got out of this discussion when i did
Lol discussion is an understatement
MacBook Pro | 15 Retina Display
iHeartsteve is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:07 AM   #80
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Here's one for predictability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Your version of the story:

Stole - Past tense of Steal (verb)

1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission
2. To present or use (someone else's words or ideas) as one's own.
3. To get or take secretly or artfully.

My version of the story:

Mistake (noun)

1. An error in action, calculation, option, or judgement caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.
2. A misunderstanding or misconception.

You sir need to go back to school. Maybe you should know how to use a dictionary before playing with the big boys. The store clerk made a "mistake" by price matching the wrong item. He "carelessly" picked the wrong iPad. He had "insufficient" knowledge to know the difference between a iPad 2 and a iPad 3 box. It was an honest "mistake" that I ended up with a iPad 3 that I paid for with receipt to prove the transaction.

Receipt (noun) - A written acknowledgment of having received, or taken into one's possession, a specified amount of money, goods, etc.

Once you get off your high horse you will see the difference. I will let you have the last word because you are so predictable.

Predictable (adj) - Expected, especially on the basis of previous or known behavior.
Hi Bill,

You are in fact in possession of an item that you did not pay for. Stealing is not limited to the time at which said item was taken possession of. I said previously that you had unintentionally stolen it. Once you opened it and realized that it was a new iPad and that you had gotten away with getting it, and then decided not to return an item that you did not pay for, it is considered stealing.

It's also funny to me that you chose to include definitions. Especially in regards to the first definition of "stole."
"To take(the property of another) without right or permission." Did you have the right or permission to take home the new iPad? Or did you in fact have the right and permission based on a price match to take home an iPad2? If your understanding(along with the retail store employee's) was that you were purchasing an iPad2, then you did not have the right or permission to take home the new one.

So yes(according to my "version" and the definition you chose to use), you stole an iPad. The mistake was on the part of the employee; not yours. That mistake also does not transfer culpability to the employee or the retail store and cannot justify your action.

Did you actually plan or hope for this outcome based on your observation that the packaging was very similar?

Basically, you can try and justify this any way you want, and even have the support of a bunch of other people that would be just as guilty of stealing as you are. Your action is still wrong.

And since you mentioned the receipt, how did a new iPad(if scanned) come up at that price?

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   2
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:22 AM   #81
LanEvo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You got me dead to rights!!! LOL. Nice one.
Hey OP, just enjoy your deal and don't pay attention to these others. They are mainly just jealous of what you got, who cares if it is a mistake or not, you paid for the item that was supposed to be something else. If they were in your situation now, they would be doing the same thing and keep it. Mistakes happen and you got the better end, congratulations. I am happy as well, picked up an Open Box 16gb at BB which was better than the original one I paid full price for.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:34 AM   #82
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

If the OP didn't want people to criticise him, then he should have just kept his stroke of luck to himself and not share it with anyone else.

Since he chose to post details of it online, then he should be prepared for criticism, both positive and negative.

Like other people here have said, everyone has differing interpretations of what is right and wrong, and that is exactly the point. Not everyone (and I for one am glad that those who did agree with the OP appear to be in the minority) can be expected to agree with his actions!
Abazigal is offline   2
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:05 AM   #83
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Hey, lets make things easier.

If you're not an attorney please dont support your position by stating something is illegal.

If you are an attorney, then be specific as to why this is illegal.

If I go to the supermarket and buy an Apple and the charge me the wrong price, do I now have a stolen apple?

I mean come on!

Yes a mistake was made, and yes the seller stands to loose some money but that is not the buyers fault.

If it makes you feel better to return it then do so, but dont tell those that dont want to return it that they are morally bankrupt. That might be your opinion, but keep it to yourself.
ZipZap is offline   3
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:32 AM   #84
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Hey, lets make things easier.

If you're not an attorney please dont support your position by stating something is illegal.

If you are an attorney, then be specific as to why this is illegal.

If I go to the supermarket and buy an Apple and the charge me the wrong price, do I now have a stolen apple?

I mean come on!

Yes a mistake was made, and yes the seller stands to loose some money but that is not the buyers fault.

If it makes you feel better to return it then do so, but dont tell those that dont want to return it that they are morally bankrupt. That might be your opinion, but keep it to yourself.
Then exactly what sort of response would you expect us to give here?

I cannot in clear conscience condone the OP's actions. Yeah, he likely lives half the globe away from me, his actions won't affect me one bit, but what am I supposed to say here? Praise him for his luck?

I say again, if the OP didn't want our opinions to start with, then he shouldn't have posted here in the first place. He's made his bed, now he gets to lie in it.
Abazigal is offline   -5
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:48 AM   #85
iRooney
macrumors 6502

This forum becomes an all out ethics war more often than I blink. It starts off kind of funny and then people get really pissy. My favorite part is the guy who said "I don't lie or steal". Really? Never touched Napster did ya? Oh, and never lie.....ever? Really? You defeated the natural human condition? Even toddlers lie. Unless this is the rapture, but I find it hard to believe Jesus came back and is starting with MacRumors.
iRooney is offline   6
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:25 AM   #86
tcphoto
macrumors 6502a

Mr. or Miss Moore, you should be looking over your should for Mr. Karma. You may have benefited by the employees mistake but when you discovered it you chose to do nothing but gloat about it on this forum. Funny how things can be going well and all of the sudden you get blindsided.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #87
shyam09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
Then exactly what sort of response would you expect us to give here?

I cannot in clear conscience condone the OP's actions. Yeah, he likely lives half the globe away from me, his actions won't affect me one bit, but what am I supposed to say here? Praise him for his luck?

I say again, if the OP didn't want our opinions to start with, then he shouldn't have posted here in the first place. He's made his bed, now he gets to lie in it.
you answered it He shouldn't have come on the forums. Mistake # 1. Mistake # 2: He is supporting it, which makes this thread remain alive and growing.

But then again, we as members of the forums have a responsibility too. We did not have to have this moral and ethical battle in the first place. I got dragged in too. The intentions may have been good for some posters, but they should have realized that they should simply pass on their opinions (as this is a forum after all) and leave it to that. But now that we have attacking and defending, it's like I said: a moral and ethical war about one little iPad?!?! Yesterday, I wrote a big post in reply to someone else on this thread... I didn't even post it, because I realized it was a waste of time (but then I got dragged in at night )

One could very well say for me to just leave this specific thread, and I will probably do that, but wake up people! Not everyone will listen to your advice, so if you want to give advice, give it and go. Why waste time for something that may not work in the first place...
shyam09 is offline   1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:33 AM   #88
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Mr. or Miss Moore, you should be looking over your should for Mr. Karma. You may have benefited by the employees mistake but when you discovered it you chose to do nothing but gloat about it on this forum. Funny how things can be going well and all of the sudden you get blindsided.
My best friend died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 38 leaving behind 4 kids and a husband. My best friend got laid off 3 weeks ago. Steve Jobs died of cancer last year. Did these people have Mr. Karma seeking revenge? Please define your level of bad ill that you wish upon me and I will ask God for mercy on your soul when I see him. Maybe you can ask from your high horse.
cdmoore74 is offline   2
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:37 AM   #89
malnar
macrumors 6502a

This is incredible. Four pages so far to berate someone who innocently bought an iPad and got an upgrade he didn't expect. There's nothing more to it than that. He did nothing out of malice. He is not expected to make any kind of amends to the store for the extra price. It is their problem and their fault entirely. It's even entirely possible that had he not been so savvy, he might not have realized he even HAD a new iPad instead of an iPad 2. Had he walked into the store attempting to get a new iPad for an iPad 2 price, THAT would have been a deceitful, malicious thing worthy of the contempt that is being thrown at him. Had he been standing at the register, realized what was happening, and not said anything, THAT would be worthy of this anger. This, however, is no worse than coming home from the grocery store to find that you got a can of peas for sale price instead of full price. Do you REALLY go back to the store and demand that you pay for that, too? Of course not. It's their problem. They will pick up on it quick enough and the problem with their system will be corrected. The only difference here is that the item in question is more expensive.

cdmoore74, enjoy your new iPad guilt-free. The rest of you jumping all over him, take a chill-pill - and hopefully you paid the correct price for them.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:57 PM   #90
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

For those of you calling him an unhonest person it's Capitalism, live with it.

I'm sure apple can find $200 somewhere to replace the cost.
Redjericho is offline   1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:16 PM   #91
shyam09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjericho View Post
For those of you calling him an unhonest person it's Capitalism, live with it.

I'm sure apple can find $200 somewhere to replace the cost.
lol i don't think apple would even need to justify the $200 bucks since they have billions

But i wonder why people are getting so upset for this? Well I'm glad, as a future businessman, that people are starting to look out for the businesses rather than consumers
shyam09 is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:24 PM   #92
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Wrong again

Quote:
Originally Posted by malnar View Post
This is incredible. Four pages so far to berate someone who innocently bought an iPad and got an upgrade he didn't expect. There's nothing more to it than that. He did nothing out of malice. He is not expected to make any kind of amends to the store for the extra price. It is their problem and their fault entirely. It's even entirely possible that had he not been so savvy, he might not have realized he even HAD a new iPad instead of an iPad 2. Had he walked into the store attempting to get a new iPad for an iPad 2 price, THAT would have been a deceitful, malicious thing worthy of the contempt that is being thrown at him. Had he been standing at the register, realized what was happening, and not said anything, THAT would be worthy of this anger. This, however, is no worse than coming home from the grocery store to find that you got a can of peas for sale price instead of full price. Do you REALLY go back to the store and demand that you pay for that, too? Of course not. It's their problem. They will pick up on it quick enough and the problem with their system will be corrected. The only difference here is that the item in question is more expensive.

cdmoore74, enjoy your new iPad guilt-free. The rest of you jumping all over him, take a chill-pill - and hopefully you paid the correct price for them.
It isn't as simple as receiving an upgrade that he didn't expect. He got a different item than the one he paid for and expected to receive. An "accidental upgrade" could be negligible depending on the upgrade and the product it is associated with, but I seriously doubt that the store where he got it would mark it down as a lucky customer who got a free upgrade.

What you're also forgetting is that he didn't respond to this situation the way someone would about finding out they got the sale price on a can of peas. It's also a bad comparison because grocery stores work differently than retail electronics stores. Grocery stores receive incentives from the companies whose products they sell. They also receive funds to reimburse their losses on items when they are purchased with manufacturers coupons. With an electronics retail store, there is no incentive or reimbursement program like that that the store can rely on to support their business.

You can also tell by his posts and responses to others that he knew he should have taken it back. What he did was post it in a forum where he was hoping to find enough people to make him feel better about what he had decided to do. If it was as simple as getting a sale price, he wouldn't have posted it and surely wouldn't have been looking for justification from other people.

It's also obvious that he feels like he "got away with it." Thanking Apple for making the packaging so similar was just another way of him trying to put the responsibility on to someone else. First, it's Apple for making the packaging so similar, then it's "worrying" about whether or not Apple would lose money because they would have to refurbish it, and then pretending to consider the situation of the retail store employee who made the initial mistake. These are all weak attempts to justify a wrongdoing; not to justify an honest mistake.

RedCroissant is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:45 PM   #93
TannerH
macrumors regular

The honest thing would be to return it. But it could get the sales associate in a lot of trouble. So therefore, it might be a bad idea to do so because it would cost the sales associate a lot more than the store lost.

The thing is that you paid over $100 less than you should have for a product. That is more than stealing an apple from the supermarket.

That having been said, they sold it to you at the price they said they would sell it to you. So the retailer was in all power of how much they charged you. Therefore, it cannot be considered your fault. If you somehow get in trouble, the innocent card would work if they didn't see this forum.
TannerH is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:55 PM   #94
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

Who knows, maybe when the store see the mistake they tighten up measures and improve their system somewhat altogether? It may well lead to less mistakes happening in the future. I believe that things happen for a reason, and often you should go with the flow.

The bottom line is that your actions were not illegal or intentional, and it's hardly your responsibility to make sure they haven't ripped themselves off. If they made the effort to contact you and recall the product, then I'd totally expect it to be returned.
Dangerous Theory is online now   0
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:08 PM   #95
shyam09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
It isn't as simple as receiving an upgrade that he didn't expect. He got a different item than the one he paid for and expected to receive. An "accidental upgrade" could be negligible depending on the upgrade and the product it is associated with, but I seriously doubt that the store where he got it would mark it down as a lucky customer who got a free upgrade.

What you're also forgetting is that he didn't respond to this situation the way someone would about finding out they got the sale price on a can of peas. It's also a bad comparison because grocery stores work differently than retail electronics stores. Grocery stores receive incentives from the companies whose products they sell. They also receive funds to reimburse their losses on items when they are purchased with manufacturers coupons. With an electronics retail store, there is no incentive or reimbursement program like that that the store can rely on to support their business.

You can also tell by his posts and responses to others that he knew he should have taken it back. What he did was post it in a forum where he was hoping to find enough people to make him feel better about what he had decided to do. If it was as simple as getting a sale price, he wouldn't have posted it and surely wouldn't have been looking for justification from other people.

It's also obvious that he feels like he "got away with it." Thanking Apple for making the packaging so similar was just another way of him trying to put the responsibility on to someone else. First, it's Apple for making the packaging so similar, then it's "worrying" about whether or not Apple would lose money because they would have to refurbish it, and then pretending to consider the situation of the retail store employee who made the initial mistake. These are all weak attempts to justify a wrongdoing; not to justify an honest mistake.
woah!! you really analyze stuff. Well done
shyam09 is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:50 PM   #96
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam09 View Post
lol i don't think apple would even need to justify the $200 bucks since they have billions

But i wonder why people are getting so upset for this? Well I'm glad, as a future businessman, that people are starting to look out for the businesses rather than consumers
By this definition, I suppose it is alright to keep money belonging to a rich man because he can well afford the loss?

Looking out for businesses has nothing to do with this. When I buy anyhthing such as groceries, I always make it point to check my receipt and ensure that everything is in order. Often, i have already added up the total while queueing in line, so I know exactly how much I should pay and receive for my change. And yes, I have returned money to the cashier if I realize I have been undercharged.

To me, it's not the amount that matters, but the principle of things. The thing costs x, I pay x, not one cent more or less, at least not without the seller's knowledge or consent.

Am I a fool for that?
Abazigal is offline   1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:57 PM   #97
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

I got my otterbox defender in the mail today and I don't see what all the fuss is over the built in screen protector. Got mine for only $62 dollars shipped from Amazon. Some people only paid $33 a few days ago but I'm happy they got a good deal.
cdmoore74 is offline   1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:00 PM   #98
braddick
macrumors 68030

It's not so objectionable you got a "discounted" iPad and profited off of someone's error, but rather did so and still consider yourself an honorable and honest person.

You can have one, or the other, but never both.
braddick is offline   1
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:05 PM   #99
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

A Challenge for you....

Quote:
I got a cool story that will make any body jealous. I wanted a iPad 2 for the microcenter advertised price of $359 but they (store not important) price matched the wrong model. Did not know until I actually got home and opened the box and checked the model number 3 times. No way I'm going back to the store to complain. Just got lucky the honest way.
Thanks Apple for making the box look 95% like the iPad 2 box. But on a serious note please triple check model numbers if your buying used off Craigslist.
Hey Billy,

I have a very easy way for you to prove that you have no problem with keeping the iPad and that you truly believe that you are justified in doing so...

As you can see from the original post that opened this thread, you neglected to include the name of the store where you received the new iPad. I wonder if you are secure enough in your position to post the name, location, and phone number of the retail store... In addition to that, post a copy of the receipt.

RedCroissant is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:57 PM   #100
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Hey Billy,

I have a very easy way for you to prove that you have no problem with keeping the iPad and that you truly believe that you are justified in doing so...

As you can see from the original post that opened this thread, you neglected to include the name of the store where you received the new iPad. I wonder if you are secure enough in your position to post the name, location, and phone number of the retail store... In addition to that, post a copy of the receipt.
Why.........so.......serious?

To tell you the truth I thought this thread would have died two days ago. Time to let it go. You can do it!

Mods.....time to close her down.
cdmoore74 is offline   -3

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland