Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:07 PM   #76
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
We are producing more now than under Bush, because of Bush. It was approved by Bush prior to Obama's reign.

The problem is demand, because of world growth is growing faster than the expansion of supply.

Where did I say it was because of Obama?
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:18 PM   #77
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Where did I say it was because of Obama?
I didn't say you did. I just wanted to add that.
ericrwalker is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:25 PM   #78
Sydde
macrumors 68000

This kind of fits in here somewhere ...

Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:54 PM   #79
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
The problem is demand, because of world growth is growing faster than the expansion of supply.
The majority of which is in developing countries like China and India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Prove all of that is true.
Prove any of it is false.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 01:05 PM   #80
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM2 View Post
How could The US Have known Al Quida [sic] would turn against us? ....
Well, let's see. al-Qaeda openly declared war (jihad) on the US sometime around 1996. How could the Bush administration possibly imagine that terrorists would fly planes into buildings? By reading a Tom Clancy novel written in 1994.

Perhaps you could answer how Bush, the US Commander-in-Chief during the 9/11 attacks, allowed our air defenses to be so poor that the lumbering civilian planes got through without a single fighter intercepting any of them? The level of culpable military incompetence was so high that it spawned conspiracy theories because nobody could believe Bush and his military advisers could be so wholly unprepared. Regrettably they were, and yet they had the unmitigated gall to wrap themselves in the flag as 'hawks' during the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In any case, getting back to the thread, I have always found the communism thing in the US to be rather surreal. So far as I am aware, being a card-carrying member of the communist party is no more illegal than being a GOP supporter. It's not the government's business what party people belong to, provided they obey the law.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:26 PM   #81
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Well, let's see. al-Qaeda openly declared war (jihad) on the US sometime around 1996. How could the Bush administration possibly imagine that terrorists would fly planes into buildings? By reading a Tom Clancy novel written in 1994.
Or the famous August 6th 2001 Presidential Daily Briefing (except, one cannot blame Bush for that, he had brush to clear).

Quote:
In any case, getting back to the thread, I have always found the communism thing in the US to be rather surreal. So far as I am aware, being a card-carrying member of the communist party is no more illegal than being a GOP supporter. It's not the government's business what party people belong to, provided they obey the law.
Communists are bad because they are dedicated to the destruction of America and its government, which Republicans strive ever so hard to preserve and protect.

My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub.

– Republican Strategist Grover Norquist
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:44 PM   #82
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
How could The US Have known Al Quida would turn against us? The Republican Party did not cause 9/11, it was a group that turned against us. Bush 11B Debt? Look at your parties failed leader called Obama, 15.6T debt. Since Obama became president the debt increases around $3.80 billion per day. And lets not forget Clinton, Having affairs and setting the housing market up for collapse, which by the way, Bush and McCain both warned the democrats about to fix, and look where they got us.
Your precious Bush didn't even know that gas prices were about to hit $4 a gallon (yes gas was high under his watch too...not that any Presidents really control the price of oil...but they can at least be AWARE of the price) so the notion that he warned anyone about the housing market is amusing. It was in his power to make some changes, it was in his power to do something about the hemorrhaging job market.

Quote:
Your party also has bailed out GM, Chrysler, and many more big companies, hell even bailed out fanny mac and other BS companies that put us here.
Oh that's right...Bush DID attempt to help the bad economy he created by doing what? BAILOUTS!!! They started with him. So guess what? That means the GOP had a hand in it too! Not that these were bad things. It's ironic that a party that is so gung-ho on big business thinks a business that employees thousands of people should just close up shop and not be saved. Unless THEY are proposing such saving of course. Then all bets are off. Hypocrites.

Quote:
Until Obama the US has never had a trillion dollar deficit in the 220 years before him, now we have 4. You do realize we are still in a worldwide recession and gas is way higher now? We would have more supply if you damn liberals would let us drill.
Why are conservatives so obsessed with oil? You DO realize that it is going to run out one day, right? Then what? It's unbelievable that conservatives just want to use it up even faster. Ironic considering doing more of something is counter to the word CONSERVE. Maybe conservatives should change their name since they don't seem to want to conserve at all. Drilling is not the solutions to our problems.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:26 PM   #83
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
The majority of which is in developing countries like China and India.
I agree 100% since it's traded on the world market, that's why we need a combination of alternative energy and increase production of what we currently use as well.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:50 PM   #84
eric/

Quote:

Prove any of it is false.
you make the claim, you have to provide evidence for said claim.
eric/ is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:06 PM   #85
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I agree 100% since it's traded on the world market, that's why we need a combination of alternative energy and increase production of what we currently use as well.
Seriously, what we need to explore is the most abundant source on the planet: Grey Energy. We waste enormous amounts of energy just, um, being wasteful. With three hundred million people in .us alone, there is enough grey matter there to tap into, to address our energy needs by addressing the need. Efficiency and wise use is a far better way to deal with this problem than harvest more. After all, at this point, all our technology revolves around oil. Everything we have, in such abundance, is based on dinosaurs. Even bicycles, possibly the most efficient form of transportation, require a lot of fuel to build and maintain. The very economy we depend on depends on oil, a fact which even the wealthiest among us cannot escape, and unless we can convert to a sustainable economy, we will be in for a hard fall.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:35 PM   #86
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Seriously, what we need to explore is the most abundant source on the planet: Grey Energy. We waste enormous amounts of energy just, um, being wasteful. With three hundred million people in .us alone, there is enough grey matter there to tap into, to address our energy needs by addressing the need. Efficiency and wise use is a far better way to deal with this problem than harvest more. After all, at this point, all our technology revolves around oil. Everything we have, in such abundance, is based on dinosaurs. Even bicycles, possibly the most efficient form of transportation, require a lot of fuel to build and maintain. The very economy we depend on depends on oil, a fact which even the wealthiest among us cannot escape, and unless we can convert to a sustainable economy, we will be in for a hard fall.
Are you suggesting something out of the Matrix?
Sedulous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:10 PM   #87
ericrwalker
Banned

Nothing wrong with finding new energy, but currently the most affordable is oil. There are people that can barely get by. Some people can't afford a new car payment to buy a hybrid or electric car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:12 PM   #88
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
There are people that can barely get by. Some people can't afford a new car payment to buy a hybrid or electric car.
If they are really tight for money they should use public transport, or a scooter/push bike.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:13 PM   #89
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
If they are really tight for money they should use public transport, or a scooter/push bike.
Have you been to the USA? The UK is tiny. Public transportation is an option there. Only in cities here.

Scooters are great in the winter.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:17 PM   #90
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Have you been to the USA? The UK is tiny. Public transportation is an option there. Only in cities here.
China's not tiny (in fact its basically the same size as the US) and it has perfectly decent public transport.

Quote:
Scooters are great in the winter.
All you have to do is wear more clothes, not a particularly expensive problem.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:19 PM   #91
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
China's not tiny (in fact its basically the same size as the US) and it has perfectly decent public transport.

You are quite wise, China's population density is 363.3/sq mi The USA is 87.4/sq mi.

EDIT: and your population density is 661.9/sq mi. I can see why you think public transportation works so well.

Public transportation works well in higher population density.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:20 PM   #92
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
And swap-out the front wheel with a ski???

Not particularly feasible.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:21 PM   #93
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
And swap-out the front wheel with a ski???

Not particularly feasible.
We could put a side cart on there for the children. Give them hand warmers.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:23 PM   #94
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
We could put a side cart on there for the children. Give them hand warmers.
How about one on each side, like a catamaran?

Let's try to be serious, unless I lapse into a flight of fancy.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:24 PM   #95
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
How about one on each side, like a catamaran?

Let's try to be serious, unless I lapse into a flight of fancy.
Lets not push it. Just buy a used car.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:30 PM   #96
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You are quite wise, China's population density is 363.3/sq mi The USA is 87.4/sq mi.

EDIT: and your population density is 661.9/sq mi. I can see why you think public transportation works so well.

Public transportation works well in higher population density.
How about Russia,density 22/sq mile,it ranks the highest in the world for public transport usage according to the Greendex survey.
Peterkro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:32 PM   #97
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
How about Russia,density 22/sq mile,it ranks the highest in the world for public transport usage according to the Greendex survey.
Their public transportation is great in their cities, not the entire country.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:44 PM   #98
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Their public transportation is great in their cities, not the entire country.
The urban/rural split is higher 79/21 in the U.S. than it is in Russia.Only one nation has a majority of people who never use public transit, the U.S., they also rank lowest on the walking/biking scale.
Peterkro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:48 PM   #99
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
The urban/rural split is higher 79/21 in the U.S. than it is in Russia.Only one nation has a majority of people who never use public transit, the U.S., they also rank lowest on the walking/biking scale.
I UP'ed your post, but I would like to see some research results.

I agree that the average person in the U.S. feels they are owed a car, with little regard for the consequences.
iJohnHenry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:49 PM   #100
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Exactly....but in the rural areas the population density to too low for public transportation.

As for walking biking scale I walk to work most days 4.75 miles each way. I don't fall into your statistics. I only drive or bike when I didn't get up early enough.

----------

Quote:
I agree that the average person in the U.S. feels they are owed a car, with little regard for the consequences.
I would have to agree that in cities...even small cities people don't need one, but often they still have one.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues