Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
What is this PB? I can't place it. This is from a live concert recorded in June '94, being used as a sequencer I suppose.

I suppose it's from the 1xx series. If anyone knows, I would certainly appreciate the help.

Thanks all.

EDIT: It seems to be either a 160 or 180. The two look absolutely identical, so I wouldn't know how to differentiate it further.

EDIT 2: Or maybe a 170...

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
OP: My guess would be a PB 160 170 or 180 like you guess but the pic is extremely bad in quality. What you don't seem to understand is that it is not a PowerPC Mac at all. It's a 68K Mac which was the architecture before PowerPC.

Drew: These didn't have a trackball "instead" of a trackpad because trackpads were not invented yet. The PowerBook 500 series were the first with trackpads and they were released about 2-3 years after this.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
OP: My guess would be a PB 160 170 or 180 like you guess but the pic is extremely bad in quality. What you don't seem to understand is that it is not a PowerPC Mac at all. It's a 68K Mac which was the architecture before PowerPC.

Drew: These didn't have a trackball "instead" of a trackpad because trackpads were not invented yet. The PowerBook 500 series were the first with trackpads and they were released about 2-3 years after this.

Yea that's what I meant... that they didn't have trackpads. Still, it would be interesting to use :D

Apples555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012

Ah, sounds about right. Yeah, it really is; it's from a Youtube video.

I understand that, but I don't believe Macrumors has a 68k section. I thought PowerPC was the closest relative.

Anyways, thanks all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.