Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Eddyish
macrumors member

iPhone 4S battery suddenly drains very fast

I noticed this happened on wednesday, my phone was in my pocket and it suddenly felt very hot and when I checked it I was surprised to see that battery life had somehow drained to 15% even though I had hardly used it except fro briefly checking my email and time (besides that it had just been sitting in my pocket). Prior to this, my battery life was pretty good and I usually had around 50%ish after a day of moderate usage. Currently it's been 5 hours after it's last charge and it's already down to 50%. I hardly used it today and it seems to drain incredibly quickly when not in use. Oddly I'm using it now to type this and it doesn't seem to drain as fast.

I've updated to 5.0.1 and jailbroke it in January and it was fine so I don't think that's the reason why. And usually I don't turn on location services, I set the brightness at around half, don't turn on Bluetooth. I've tried recallibrating the battery to no avail. I did a hard reset once I noticed the phone felt hot and was at 15% on Wednesday but nothing seemed to come of it. The battery still drains very fast when not in use but doesn't get hot.
Eddyish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:05 AM   #2
jasper2012
macrumors newbie

you are moving too fast when you put it in you pocket?
jasper2012 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Jamie0003
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jamie0003 Send a message via MSN to Jamie0003 Send a message via Yahoo to Jamie0003 Send a message via Skype™ to Jamie0003
You should update to 5.1; battery life has been improved with the latest version.
iPad Mini 16GB
Jamie0003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:54 AM   #4
joegarlick
macrumors newbie

I also have just started to have the same problem the last two days, it was doing nothing sitting on my desk at work. I came to work with 90% battery, put it on my desk, barely touched it and it was dead and hot when I left at the end of the day. This has happened two days in a row. I have installed nothing in the past two days and made no settings changes. I updated to 5.1 when it came out and no Jailbreakage either. I feel that either there is a severe software error sucking the battery dry or a hardware problem.

Last edited by joegarlick; Apr 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling error
joegarlick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:42 PM   #5
blatopilot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegarlick View Post
I also have just started to have the same problem the last two days, it was doing nothing sitting on my desk at work. I came to work with 90% battery, put it on my desk, barely touched it and it was dead and hot when I left at the end of the day. This has happened two days in a row. I have installed nothing in the past two days and made no settings changes. I updated to 5.1 when it came out and no Jailbreakage either. I feel that either there is a severe software error sucking the battery dry or a hardware problem.
Been having the same thing happen strangely. Along with constant AWDD logs concerning "wifiMetricIPV4DHCPlatency" at home. At work, I don't use the wifi so that disappears, but something seems to be trying to establish contact. Maybe there is a mothership overhead.

I'm to the point where I just want all syncing to go away unless it is with a wire. Just a phone that works as a phone first, and happens to have other features.

EDIT: I have had success turning off Cell Network Search and Compass Calibration under location services -> System Services. Cell Network being the most likely as it has been accessing my location....

Last edited by blatopilot; Apr 24, 2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: updated situation
blatopilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting