Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrendmiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
I have the New iPad, and I am hoping to get a case that doubles as a stand for the iPad in both portrait and landscape positions. There doesn't seem to be a ton of options out there yet, so for now I've been waiting. I was just wondering if anyone has any actual experience with any of these cases yet, and what your thoughts are. Thanks for any info!

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
I have the New iPad, and I am hoping to get a case that doubles as a stand for the iPad in both portrait and landscape positions. There doesn't seem to be a ton of options out there yet, so for now I've been waiting. I was just wondering if anyone has any actual experience with any of these cases yet, and what your thoughts are. Thanks for any info!

Never used one but there's the DeviceWear Detour 360 that can rotate. Targus also has something similar.. the difference is Targus has a track record this year of producing too early and having non working magnets.. the Devicewear seems to be able to trigger the on/off

http://www.devicewear.com/products-...360-by-devicewear-black-rotating-ipad-3-case/

as for my own thoughts.. I'm still deciding between the detour360 and the ridge.. however after some thought.. I only use the portrait mode when I'm holding my iPad like a book, usually to read a pdf or ebook. most of the time I use it in landscape. so leaning against the added thickness of a rotating case.

this could change once MS Office hits iOS and i get my keyboard..

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
rooCase

I got the rooCase and like it a lot. Supports standing in both landscape and portrait modes. The protective sleeve is also detachable from the cover. It's real leather, and you can't beat the price.

BrassPro

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
The rooCase and KaysCase are indeed very much alike!

I got the rooCase and like it a lot. Supports standing in both landscape and portrait modes. The protective sleeve is also detachable from the cover. It's real leather, and you can't beat the price.

darrendmiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2012
Thank you for all these responses! These are helpful.
A lot of the ones I've found on amazon from smaller manufacturers have reviews that seem pretty fishy so it's tough to now what's really good.
@BrassPro I registered for that site but that link still doesn't seem to work for me. It says I don't have permission to see the page even if im logged in. Do you have another link to the same product?
It looks like the bigger manufacturers are coming out with some good stuff. But it ain't cheap.

BrassPro

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
Hmm, not sure what happened with SD, but we still have FW:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1185326/

Or you just go directly to the product page on Amazon and use coupon code: 5OOFFOMG.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HE19ZW/

Thank you for all these responses! These are helpful.
A lot of the ones I've found on amazon from smaller manufacturers have reviews that seem pretty fishy so it's tough to now what's really good.
@BrassPro I registered for that site but that link still doesn't seem to work for me. It says I don't have permission to see the page even if im logged in. Do you have another link to the same product?
It looks like the bigger manufacturers are coming out with some good stuff. But it ain't cheap.

BrassPro

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
it means Original Equipment Manufacturer
or in other words Kayscase and other companies don't actually manufacture the case, most likely done by some Taiwanese or Chinese company who sells it to others who add their branding and do the marketing work.

Really, that will make the KaysCase deal sweeter! (Assuming rooCase is a better-known brand. They are all the same to me, though.)

Is that legal? Can I just go to Coca Cola factory and ask them to make the same soda for me and sell them as Koka Kola?

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Really, that will make the KaysCase deal sweeter! (Assuming rooCase is a better-known brand. They are all the same to me, though.)

Is that legal? Can I just go to Coca Cola factory and ask them to make the same soda for me and sell them as Koka Kola?

probably not as easy as it sounds. another example is this notebook company called Clevo that's famous for making gaming notebooks.. lots of other companies like power notebooks, sager, etc (usually those small ones) buy the Clevo notebooks, and slap on their own branding, then sell it as their own model. Although these days they'll advertise as (built on Clevo). In the past they didn't mention Clevo anywhere.

back to portrait/landscape models, I found this in Japan that recently went on sale. Very simple design

http://ameblo.jp/ktmrmt-515255/entry-11210235901.html

o0450052211888473113.jpg

o0500031411888473110.jpg

o0500030511888473109.jpg

o0400031711888490269.jpg

since it has no grooves like say the switcheasy canvas or devicewear ridge, I wonder how stable it is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.