Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyroo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Hi, this is very annoying and I don't know how to make it stop. I set the ipad to sync to icloud rather than my computer, and I also unchecked "sync apps" in itunes, but I still transfer music from my laptop to my ipad, so when I sync my ipad to add new songs, it automatically transfers 8gb+ of apps into my laptop! How do I make this stop? Thanks!

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I don't think this is possible. Could be wrong but I haven't seen the option to do this.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Consider it backup for your apps. If any of them ever get pulled from the app store for whatever reason (happened to a few of my favorite apps, including one the developer pulled because they didn't want to support the app anymore), you'll be glad to have them on your computer.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
It's still stupid. There is no reason why I should have my apps stored on my MBA, PC and work pc when I want to sync something.

pyroo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
That's too bad, I have limited space on my laptop so I thought that backing up onto iCloud would solve this problem. It's just taking up unnecessary space on my laptop now.

And Night Spring, that's a good point, but there are so many apps in the app store, if one gets pulled out of the app store, there will be hundreds of other similar apps to replace it. I guess it makes restoring the iPad a lot faster, but with iOS 5, I will be restoring my iPad without connecting it to my computer. Therefore, having a backup of all the apps is just useless, not like I can use the apps on my laptop!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
but there are so many apps in the app store, if one gets pulled out of the app store, there will be hundreds of other similar apps to replace it.

Sou your saying that if an app uses a non published API and gets pulled there will be hundreds of other similar apps that also use the same non published API to replace it? I highly doubt that. Apps get pulled for a reason. Why would other developers risk possibly getting their apps pulled?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
It's the way it works. You may think its stupid that a car needs gasoline, but try driving somewhere without it.

If you don't like your iPad, please, stop whining and just return it. it's a perfect product. It doesn't need you.

BJ

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
That's too bad, I have limited space on my laptop so I thought that backing up onto iCloud would solve this problem. It's just taking up unnecessary space on my laptop now.

And Night Spring, that's a good point, but there are so many apps in the app store, if one gets pulled out of the app store, there will be hundreds of other similar apps to replace it. I guess it makes restoring the iPad a lot faster, but with iOS 5, I will be restoring my iPad without connecting it to my computer. Therefore, having a backup of all the apps is just useless, not like I can use the apps on my laptop!

Work around to save space on your laptop is to find the folder the apps stored on your laptop and move the apps from your computer to an external drive. As long as you don't delete the apps inside the iTunes and just move them using Finder, iTunes won't know that the apps are gone and won't delete it from your idevice. I save >10 GB by moving them to an ext HDD.

mrrish

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Hi, this is very annoying and I don't know how to make it stop. I set the ipad to sync to icloud rather than my computer, and I also unchecked "sync apps" in itunes, but I still transfer music from my laptop to my ipad, so when I sync my ipad to add new songs, it automatically transfers 8gb+ of apps into my laptop! How do I make this stop? Thanks!

There is no work around at the moment. But what you can do is delete the files app files after a sync (in itunes, select all and press the delete key; make sure it goes in the trash). Then the next time you do a sync, the only files that will copied over are one's that you have newly downloaded and updated since your last sync.

Unless you are some kind of app-downloading beast, you won't be deleting apps too often.

Not perfect, but it works for me. Most importantly, it allows me to conserve the disk space on my small solid state drive.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
There is no work around at the moment. But what you can do is delete the files app files after a sync (in itunes, select all and press the delete key; make sure it goes in the trash). Then the next time you do a sync, the only files that will copied over are one's that you have newly downloaded and updated since your last sync.

Unless you are some kind of app-downloading beast, you won't be deleting apps too often.

Not perfect, but it works for me. Most importantly, it allows me to conserve the disk space on my small solid state drive.

If you delete apps using iTunes, doesn't it delete it from your device next time you sync? Maybe the newer versions allow this. :confused: Do you empty your trash?

mrrish

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
If you delete apps using iTunes, doesn't it delete it from your device next time you sync? Maybe the newer versions allow this. :confused: Do you empty your trash?

No, but only as long as you had 'sync applications' unchecked from the day you set up your ipad (which the OP said was done).

I am using 10.6. Yes you can empty the trash.

I do have to reiterate that unchecking that box now if you already havent done so, will remove all your apps.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Saying people are emotional around here about their iPads will get your comment deleted. Someone calling me stupid doesn't :cool: I see how mods run this place... Sure, the iPad is perfect and we need 100gb's of apps stored all over the place. That surely can't be improved. Whatever.

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
i've found a workaround, create a new itunes library, move your media to the new library, sync your ipad/ipod/iphone.
Problem solved (at least with my ios 5.1 ipad 3 and iphone 4s).

An official solution would be better, but this is what we have now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.