Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the wake of a claim from French designer Philippe Starck that he has been working with Apple on a "revolutionary" new project, Apple has issued a statement to AllThingsD specifically denying the assertion.
Reached for comment, an Apple spokeswoman said the company is not working on a new product with Starck. And while she declined to speculate about what the designer might have been referring to when he told France Info Radio that he and Apple "have a big project together that will be out in eight months," there's a good explanation for the remark.
The report goes on to explain that the project mentioned by Starck appears to be a yacht being built for the Jobs family and mentioned in Walter Isaacson's biography of Jobs. French site igeneration had speculated as much [Google translation] earlier today, knowing that Jobs was working with Dutch shipbuilder Feadship and that Starck had also worked with the company on other boat designs.

wedge_too_starck_yacht.jpg
'Wedge Too', a previous collaboration between Starck and Feadship (Source: Superyacht Times)
The report from AllThingsD seems to confirm that Starck has been involved in the design of Jobs' yacht, and would explain why Starck is continuing to travel to Cupertino to meet with Jobs' wife Laurene as the project moves along.

Article Link: Philippe Starck's Project With Apple is Steve Jobs' Yacht

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Man, If I were him I'd hope I'd already have most of the work done so that it would be harder to fire me. If I were Jobs' family I would not be amused by him using my name to try to make false announcements of designing the product for the company.

MrPhineas

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
I thought the revolutionary project consisted on mass produced Iron Man's armors considered that the designer Philippe Starck might actually be Tony Stark's relative.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I don't know if I could afford to upgrade to a new yacht every year. I guess it would depend on how thin they could make it.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
He could have retired on a yacht 20 years ago. If your work has meaning, then why stop?

Antares

macrumors 68000
Classic miscommunication and translation. :rolleyes:

Sad that Steve never had a chance to enjoy this. I know that I would love to own a yacht, someday.

To all, that picture is of a previous boat and not the one being designed for the Jobs family. I really wonder if the Jobs yacht will feature the simplistic design that Steve seemed to favor later in life. Should be interesting to see once completed!

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Oh God, now this has turned into a very sad story now as Steve I guess never got to sail in his yacht? I hope I am wrong he got to experience it before his passing :)

It's a terrible tragedy when *anyone* dies and does not get a chance to sail in their yacht first. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.