Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Anyone using Dropbox for photos?

I'm thinking about moving iPhoto (not the package, just the actual photos) to Dropbox since it now can create photos albums and automatically sorty my photos by date. I will have to pay for the service to get storage space. Any of you guys use it for photos?
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:13 AM   #2
VideoBeagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I'm thinking about moving iPhoto (not the package, just the actual photos) to Dropbox since it now can create photos albums and automatically sorty my photos by date. I will have to pay for the service to get storage space. Any of you guys use it for photos?
I use dropbox for photos..though my account is older and has their previous photo system...not sure how their new system really works.

Last time I messed with iPhoto, I found rather than store it's photos in any human usable way, it, stuck things in weird photos with weird names, which would make using it with Dropbox's auto galleries difficult.

(There may be settings in iPhoto to make the library better...or even a newer version may have fixed that).
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:13 PM   #3
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I always use Dropbox, I lieterally depend on it. It's the easiest way to share photos with clients too.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoBeagle View Post
I use dropbox for photos..though my account is older and has their previous photo system...not sure how their new system really works.

Last time I messed with iPhoto, I found rather than store it's photos in any human usable way, it, stuck things in weird photos with weird names, which would make using it with Dropbox's auto galleries difficult.

(There may be settings in iPhoto to make the library better...or even a newer version may have fixed that).
Dropbox is cross-platform. Therefore, its photo-handling functions must be lowest common denominator. That means open folders that synchronize with Dropbox's server.

As for your comment about iPhoto's image format--bunk. For a while now, the iPhoto Library has been a bundle rather than an ordinary folder. Your photos that reside in the bundle are ordinary and/or user-edited copies of photos from your camera and/or other sources. There is nothing about them that is in the least bit extraordinary.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #5
VideoBeagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
As for your comment about iPhoto's image format--bunk. For a while now, the iPhoto Library has been a bundle rather than an ordinary folder. Your photos that reside in the bundle are ordinary and/or user-edited copies of photos from your camera and/or other sources. There is nothing about them that is in the least bit extraordinary.
Which I believe was my point. It's not a human navigable folder, but an arcane structure only the program can use, which, if I understand what OP want's to do, means it won't work with DropBox's auto galleries.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoBeagle View Post
Which I believe was my point. It's not a human navigable folder, but an arcane structure only the program can use, which, if I understand what OP want's to do, means it won't work with DropBox's auto galleries.
I literally want to drop ALL my photos in ONE folder and make various albums from that.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
I always use Dropbox, I lieterally depend on it. It's the easiest way to share photos with clients too.
How are you doing this? Put them in a folder and sharing it?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:40 PM   #8
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
How are you doing this? Put them in a folder and sharing it?
There is an option to share a folder with pics when you go login to dropbox.com

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography