Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:11 PM   #26
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashin View Post
Thanks for the info! Very helpful. I just need to get started on bidding on one of these. I wish that I could find one with that level of shutter count but they go for a premium here - if they are available.
The D800 wasn't really a true D700 replacement, but its own niche. At least that's my opinion and the reason why I am keeping mine. Although looking on eBay, I'm tempted to sell mine since I have a low shutter count.
Vudoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:23 PM   #27
tekmoe
macrumors 68000

Congratulations OP! I am lusting for a D700 but I am having trouble pulling the trigger on a 4 year old body when I know an update is imminent. That and I am also waiting to see what the D300s replacement may be as I may go that route instead. Nonetheless, I don't think you can go wrong with the D700 - from what I have read, it is a fantastic camera, no question about it. Enjoy!
tekmoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:21 PM   #28
shashin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Many camera stores in Japan have a sizable used section, I know I'll be looking for an X100 once I'm back
Yes, most of them do and a number of camera stores are used equipment only specialty stores. However, the prices are usually considerably higher than what you would pay at an auction site or for a purchase from a friend. Since the d800 came out, prices on a used d700 have dropped a great deal. The key is to find one that hasn't been beaten to death.
I'll keep on searching...
shashin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:50 PM   #29
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

I paid $2100 USD for my D700 brand new a few years ago. Checking the prices online, it doesn't seem like the price of a D700 has dropped a great deal at all in the US.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:31 PM   #30
shashin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Congratulations OP! I am lusting for a D700 but I am having trouble pulling the trigger on a 4 year old body when I know an update is imminent. That and I am also waiting to see what the D300s replacement may be as I may go that route instead. Nonetheless, I don't think you can go wrong with the D700 - from what I have read, it is a fantastic camera, no question about it. Enjoy!
The update is out: d800. Great camera but, because of a parts problem, they are of limited availability. I would like to buy the d800 but the price is out of my current reach.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo View Post
I paid $2100 USD for my D700 brand new a few years ago. Checking the prices online, it doesn't seem like the price of a D700 has dropped a great deal at all in the US.
I think a lot of people still want the d700 and therefore the prices have held in the States. The new d800 is a great camera but the raw file size for the new sensor is about 75mg per shot You can burn through storage media pretty quick at that rate! Nikon has discontinued production on the d700 and therefore new cameras are few in number and falling.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:43 AM   #31
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I think a lot of people still want the d700 and therefore the prices have held in the States. The new d800 is a great camera but the raw file size for the new sensor is about 75mg per shot You can burn through storage media pretty quick at that rate! Nikon has discontinued production on the d700 and therefore new cameras are few in number and falling.
Megapixel is another reason why I won't be upgrading to the D800. I just don't need or want that size as a pro amateur photographer. I hope that Nikon comes out with another full-frame DSLR in terms of a D300s replacement.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:01 AM   #32
tekmoe
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo View Post
Megapixel is another reason why I won't be upgrading to the D800. I just don't need or want that size as a pro amateur photographer. I hope that Nikon comes out with another full-frame DSLR in terms of a D300s replacement.
This is exactly how I feel as well. I have no desire to capture images in 36MP. I really see the D800 aimed at videographers rather than photographers.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:25 AM   #33
shashin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
This is exactly how I feel as well. I have no desire to capture images in 36MP. I really see the D800 aimed at videographers rather than photographers.
You have named one of the main reasons why I really can't afford the d800, aside from it's price- file storage size! At 75meg per raw file, you can fill up a terabyte size hard drive pretty quick.
That being said, a friend of mine who does a lot of glossy magazine advertising photos here can't wait to get his hands on one of the d800e's. Each camera has it's place.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:28 AM   #34
Razeus
macrumors 68040

The D700 is still a great camera. Yes, it's for your old tech, but that tech still holds up today as it takes great images, as great AF system and at $2200 new, it's a great way to go full-frame. That's why the prices of the D700 are still high when buying used. This shows that there is a market for full frame cameras at the $2k mark. It's a shame that Nikon and Canon haven't been able to realize that until now.

Website, Pictures & Tweets
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:49 AM   #35
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yes, most of them do and a number of camera stores are used equipment only specialty stores. However, the prices are usually considerably higher than what you would pay at an auction site or for a purchase from a friend. Since the d800 came out, prices on a used d700 have dropped a great deal. The key is to find one that hasn't been beaten to death.
I'll keep on searching...
Really? It's been a while since I lived there (2003-2004), but I thought the prices for a lot of stuff was pretty decent. I got an Olympus E-20 back for half of what I would have paid in Germany (including ebay). And since the Japanese tend to baby their stuff, it's usually in very good to pristine condition.

I'll see when I get there. I just want something in addition to my dslr for street photography. I have a Sigma DP1, but it's too wide and it lacks a proper viewfinder.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:57 AM   #36
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The new d800 is a great camera but the raw file size for the new sensor is about 75mg per shot
Quote:
You have named one of the main reasons why I really can't afford the d800, aside from it's price- file storage size! At 75meg per raw file, you can fill up a terabyte size hard drive pretty quick.
The files are closer to 35MB, although that is still rather large. You will only get 75MB files if you save them uncompressed.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:41 PM   #37
shashin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Knox View Post
The files are closer to 35MB, although that is still rather large. You will only get 75MB files if you save them uncompressed.
Yes, but most of those who are using these cameras want to shoot using the raw file format. I think that, if I owned one of these (don't I wish), I would probably use the raw file format. I noticed that there are different levels of jpeg compression that are user selectable on the d700 that I tried for a while. This is a good thing. However, as you probably already know, that 14bit raw file format, with the correct use of a good image editing software, will give you the best results.

----------

Quote:
Really? It's been a while since I lived there (2003-2004), but I thought the prices for a lot of stuff was pretty decent. I got an Olympus E-20 back for half of what I would have paid in Germany (including ebay). And since the Japanese tend to baby their stuff, it's usually in very good to pristine condition.

I'll see when I get there. I just want something in addition to my dslr for street photography. I have a Sigma DP1, but it's too wide and it lacks a proper viewfinder.
I guess it depends on the item and where you buy it. The Japanese stores here give a pretty good price on an item at trade-in but are often then caught by this generosity and maintain a price that is too high for a used piece of equipment. I did see that one used camera shop has now lowered their prices on the d700 across the board by about 15000 ($180 approx.) These cameras, like you have mentioned, are often beautifully clean but the shutter counts are above 70,000 cycles or more:
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:23 AM   #38
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yes, but most of those who are using these cameras want to shoot using the raw file format.
Laird Knox is referring to compressed RAWs. My D7000 (and I imagine the D800 is similar in this respect) offers to save 12 or 14 bit RAWs which are either compressed or uncompressed. Think of a compressed RAW like of a zipped uncompressed RAW.
Quote:
I guess it depends on the item and where you buy it. The Japanese stores here give a pretty good price on an item at trade-in but are often then caught by this generosity and maintain a price that is too high for a used piece of equipment. I did see that one used camera shop has now lowered their prices on the d700 across the board by about 15000 ($180 approx.) These cameras, like you have mentioned, are often beautifully clean but the shutter counts are above 70,000 cycles or more:
Yeah, can't wait to check out the selection (I've booked my flight to Fukuoka two weeks ago )
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:56 AM   #39
shashin
macrumors member

Quote:
Laird Knox is referring to compressed RAWs. My D7000 (and I imagine the D800 is similar in this respect) offers to save 12 or 14 bit RAWs which are either compressed or uncompressed. Think of a compressed RAW like of a zipped uncompressed RAW.

Yeah, can't wait to check out the selection (I've booked my flight to Fukuoka two weeks ago )
Thanks for the info on the raw format. I didn't know they offered in-camera compression of the file.
Landing in Fukuoka eh? Kyushu has some great scenery and a lot of hot springs. Are you coming to Tokyo at all during your stay? If you are looking for used gear I know some places that I can recommend.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:00 AM   #40
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the raw format.
You're welcome!
Quote:
I didn't know they offered in-camera compression of the file.
Landing in Fukuoka eh? Kyushu has some great scenery and a lot of hot springs. Are you coming to Tokyo at all during your stay? If you are looking for used gear I know some places that I can recommend.
I'd say it's very likely I'll be in Tokyo during my 2-3 year stint in Japan. A friend of mine (a French expat) lives there with his Japanese wife, so I may take you up on that offer. Even though I have spent a week in Tokyo 9 years ago, I feel I haven't nearly seen enough of the city to claim to have actually seen anything.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:36 AM   #41
shashin
macrumors member

Quote:
You're welcome!

I'd say it's very likely I'll be in Tokyo during my 2-3 year stint in Japan. A friend of mine (a French expat) lives there with his Japanese wife, so I may take you up on that offer. Even though I have spent a week in Tokyo 9 years ago, I feel I haven't nearly seen enough of the city to claim to have actually seen anything.
Two to three years ought to give you some time to visit and explore Japan's capital city during your stay. However, I have been here almost twenty years and am still discovering things about Tokyo and Japan in general that never cease to amaze me
Used digital and film camera gear: Map Camera in Shinjuku, Fuji Camera in Nakano-ku
Mac-stuff (hey, this is a mac forum, right?) Softmap stores, Akihabara (a lot of different shops carry used and new mac gear but you probably already knew that). Apple's store in Ginza is an impressive place too.
Enjoy your time here.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:43 AM   #42
gryffinwings
macrumors regular

Why did you trade in the D7000 for the D700, I don't get it

The D7000 from what I've heard is already an amazing camera, it's got newer technology in it, that came out 2 years later than the D700???

What made you want a D700 over the D7000 which from what I know is a great camera already?
gryffinwings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:49 AM   #43
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6WHB...e_gdata_player
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:01 AM   #44
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffinwings View Post
Why did you trade in the D7000 for the D700, I don't get it

The D7000 from what I've heard is already an amazing camera, it's got newer technology in it, that came out 2 years later than the D700???

What made you want a D700 over the D7000 which from what I know is a great camera already?
From someone who shot DX and then upgraded to FX, I can tell you that there's a big difference in going full-frame. Just because the D7000 has newer technology, it will still be a DX sensor. If you don't know the advantages of full-frame, then I suggest doing a search. My personal reasons are better low-light capabilities, less noise at higher ISO, a 50mm lens is 50mm and not 75mm and etc.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:09 AM   #45
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the raw format. I didn't know they offered in-camera compression of the file.
Yes, the RAW files may be saved in multiple ways including compression (uncompressed, lossless, lossy) and bit depth (12, 14-bit). As you alluded to I don't know why anybody would want a lower bit depth, lossy RAW file.

The biggest problem I have with the D800 is that all my files are exactly zero bits in size. Someday Nikon might catch up with demand....
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:27 AM   #46
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Two to three years ought to give you some time to visit and explore Japan's capital city during your stay. However, I have been here almost twenty years and am still discovering things about Tokyo and Japan in general that never cease to amaze me
I've already explored Honshu quite a bit (I lived in Nagoya for ten months), and I am very much looking forward to seeing knew parts of Japan.
Quote:
Apple's store in Ginza is an impressive place too.
Agreed. I've been there in December 2003 shortly after it opened, it was the first Apple Store I've ever been to. I wore an Apple Staff Shirt and the manager almost **** his pants, he asked me whether I'm from the Mothership :lol:
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:27 PM   #47
mtbdudex
macrumors 65816

the photos are all un-available....why?
I'm at home so no filter block like at work
mtbdudex is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:55 PM   #48
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

At first I thought it said "I don't want full frame".
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:51 PM   #49
schataut
macrumors member

Did the same thing

I bought a D300s in 2009 and after using it for about a year I wanted to upgrade to D700. However with the rumor of possible D800 around the corner I waited and waited and waited (like many of us) and finally when D800 came out - 36MP scared me. Some argue - storage is cheap - it may be cheap but I don't want to add 1TB every 6 months or even every year. Even while processing D300s RAW file PS slows down after adding multiple layers and I have MBP i7/8GB RAM. So I sold my D300s and got a used D700 (11K shots) for 1850. Sure its 4 yrs old technology but it performs really well. I had to shoot some stage performance recently and most of the shots were at ISO 3200 - very little noise that I could remove using LR. So anyone wanting to move to FF but do not want to get D800 I would definitely suggest the D700. Sure there could be another FF this year (D600) but what if there is not
schataut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 08:04 AM   #50
tekmoe
macrumors 68000

<insert foot into mouth>

I did what I said I was not going to do - I purchased a D800. After digging deeper and reading expert's reviews and opinions, I realized I was wrong - the D800 truly is the successor to the D700, like it or not. We will not see another mid-range FX camera from Nikon for awhile and I'm not interested in buying an entry level FX camera, which would presumably be the D600. So I said F IT and pulled the trigger. Should have it sometime next week. Now to figure out which FX lens to buy...

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography