Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Drodrey
macrumors newbie

Macbook stuck on blue screen

Last night I went to bed leaving my macbook downloading a large file overnight. I come back this morning and my computer was frozen on the password screen. Force shut down and now when I restart it won't move off the light blue screen that first appears when you start up. After a while the Apple logo will come and the little spinning wheel appears as well. For a while a bar came up down the bottom, as if it was installing an update, but i just checked and it's now gone.

I have no idea what to do. I've restarted it with the snow leopard disk in (although this ISN'T the disk it came with - i seem to have misplaced it) and absolutely no response. Also tried restarting in safe mode and no response.

My biggest issue is that i'm leaving tomorrow for a 6 month trip where I need to take my macbook. I don't have time to take it to the apple store or send it in for repairs.

Any suggestions?
Drodrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:56 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

Have you tried any of these steps?
Mac doesn't boot

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac
If it is a Mac, that was released before 2010, you can use the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD, though you can hardly get it not online.

What exact DVD do you use?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Drodrey
macrumors newbie

Okay I've tried a fair few of the solutions with no success, I've seen absolutely nothing other than the blue/grey screen.

I've managed to dig up the cd that came with my Mac, so I'm trying that now. Problem is I don't know how long to try these things for. I tried restarting while pressing the option key and I let it sit, doing the same blue screen loading thing... After 30 minutes I gave up and am now trying the disk option. Is 30 minutes enough time? I inserted the cd about 20 minutes ago and it doesn't appear to be doing anything different.

My closest genius bar is booked out all week, but do you think if I rang and begged and offered to come in first thing tomorrow morning they'd let me? Because as I said, tomorrow night I'm on a plane to London. Otherwise there's a genius bar about 2 hours from me. I'm absolutely desperate. I have physical copies of them but all my travel plans are on thus computer
Drodrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:05 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba

It shouldn't take 20 minutes.
What MacBook (Pro) is it?
London has five Apple Stores too, thus you could take your currently non-functioning MB(P) with you and take it to an AS there.
http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro