Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:08 PM   #1
zerocustom1989
macrumors regular

Can't open AEBS ports

Hey guys,

I'm trying top open some ports for VPN on my Airport extreme, but regardless of what the GUI says, various port checking websites show the port as closed.

I'm not sure how to force this thing to open ports for me if I've already gone and used the utility provided.
zerocustom1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

Are you trying to forward ports?
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:21 PM   #3
zerocustom1989
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezramoore View Post
Are you trying to forward ports?
Ah sorry yes,

I'm attempting to forward ports to an iMac that I've configured with a local static IP. Some of the ports appear open, but others don't.

For Example, I have in Airport Utility that port 500 should be open, but a Port scan via network utility shows that it's not. Also an external check via http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ shows it's closed too.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:35 PM   #4
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

Are you entering them one at a time into the boxes, in multiples, or are you forwarding ranges of ports?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:50 PM   #5
zerocustom1989
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezramoore View Post
Are you entering them one at a time into the boxes, in multiples, or are you forwarding ranges of ports?
The ones automatically set up by OSX Server are multiples. No ranges. I tried another port checker that said the port was refused, meaning that a service that required that port isnt running.

I checked the vpnd process and it is indeed running.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:01 PM   #6
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Are the ports also open on your modem? Most ISPs block incoming ports, so you may have to call tech support to have them open the ports and forward them to your AEBS.

TEG
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:06 PM   #7
zerocustom1989
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
Are the ports also open on your modem? Most ISPs block incoming ports, so you may have to call tech support to have them open the ports and forward them to your AEBS.

TEG
The modem isnt a router, so I dont think I have to worry about port forwarding. I'll call their support to make sure it's not their end, but my port forwarding tool indicated they were not being blocked by a firewall or the ISP and instead noted that they could not find a running service.

I'm tailing the log file of the vpnd process and it's just saying 'Listening for connections...'
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:58 PM   #8
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocustom1989 View Post
The modem isnt a router, so I dont think I have to worry about port forwarding. I'll call their support to make sure it's not their end, but my port forwarding tool indicated they were not being blocked by a firewall or the ISP and instead noted that they could not find a running service.

I'm tailing the log file of the vpnd process and it's just saying 'Listening for connections...'
Unless you are having to put a static address into the ABES, then it has some sort of routing capabilities, and ISPs often block ports, even on static modems to prevent 'unauthorized' services.

TEG
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:19 PM   #9
zerocustom1989
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEG View Post
Unless you are having to put a static address into the ABES, then it has some sort of routing capabilities, and ISPs often block ports, even on static modems to prevent 'unauthorized' services.

TEG
So I think I am incorrectly entering my host name when trying to connect to the vpn.

1) I have a <name>.dyndns.org address that resolves to my VPN server's IP.
2) I currently have a OSX Server hostname of <name>.cloud.private.

When trying to SSH into my machine locally via the .private address I get a connection error, but trying non-locally with the .dyndns.org address works great.

Have I made the correct assumption that internally I must use the .cloud.private address? and Externally use my DDNS address? If so, why did the local address not function?

When trying to connect to VPN neither the external or local addresses work, but I figure I'd get ssh working first.

Any tips?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:43 PM   #10
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

Since you don't have a valid FQDN, I would try SSHing just to <name> internally.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking