Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSUengineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Hi I am an engineering student at OSU and wanted more battery life while studying and pulling all nighters on my iPhone 4. So I added a second battery!

I had to fab a new back for the phone but the upside is the back it now aluminum and doesn't need a back cover, just maybe a bumper so it is smaller than if it had an otter box. Here is the final product! It looks a little jankey but I did make it with a dremel, a file, a hammer, and some stong epoxy. Let me know if you have questions or would like me to make one for you! It is fully reversible for warranties as well. It gets about twice the battery life as the original. Enjoy!

Edit: The start of version two are the last two!

Attachments

• DSCN0244.JPG
    DSCN0244.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 3,484
  • DSCN0245.JPG
    DSCN0245.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,980
  • DSCN0246.JPG
    DSCN0246.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2,308
  • DSCN0258.JPG
    DSCN0258.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,393
  • DSCN0259.JPG
    DSCN0259.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 4,498
Last edited:

OSUengineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Here you go! I wanted to shrink rap the inside but I was a little too excited.

Attachments

• DSCN0250.JPG
    DSCN0250.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,719
  • DSCN0249.JPG
    DSCN0249.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,780
  • DSCN0248.JPG
    DSCN0248.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,471
  • DSCN0247.JPG
    DSCN0247.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,678

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Thanks man!:) I have done cooler stuff, just nothing with a device that half of the people in the world own! haha

That's a great proof of concept. Now I wonder: could you do it with a same form-factor but with a single unit? I realize that you'd probably then have to develop a custom battery for this but hey, one can dream.

Go Buckeyes! Haha. I'll be down in Columbus next month for Rock on the Range. :)

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
So you just stacked two batteries together and soldered them into parallel? How's the battery life looking?

OSUengineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
That's a great proof of concept. Now I wonder: could you do it with a same form-factor but with a single unit? I realize that you'd probably then have to develop a custom battery for this but hey, one can dream.

Go Buckeyes! Haha. I'll be down in Columbus next month for Rock on the Range. :)

Haha! Sweet! Go Bucks!

I was thinking about the same back glass with just a spacer and making the back not be conformed to the 2nd battery. It would just be a little thicker but then wider (higher capacity) battery of the same thickness would probobly be able to take up the empty space for more than double the battery life of the original. I wish someone would sell a battery + back cover kit since there are so many replacements already.

----------

So you just stacked two batteries together and soldered them into parallel? How's the battery life looking?

That is pretty much it! haha It is almost exacltly twice as long as the original. I got ~23 hours of video until it was at 5%.

OSUengineer

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I am also modding my old case to accept the mod as well and will put up pictures when I am all done. :) Thanks for looking.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
for someone who wants to make a quick bucks. book a ticket to china and tell them to produce jumbo battery for iPhone and a compatible back cover. why there is no people doing this? :mad:

LOL.. :D

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Awesome concept.

Im sure some will want this as the only other concept i know is the case you can buy that gives extra juice.

Personally I'm not taken with the extra bulk either concept gives.

One can only hope that Apple continually improve their battery stats.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Since the iPhone 4 battery is about 1400MaH it would now be 2800MaH in the phone, directly connected, unliked the Juice packs or etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.