Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1
matbook101
Banned

What mail app do you use?

What mail app do you use on your mac? I personally use the built in mail app. But what do you use?
matbook101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
ixodes
macrumors 601

On my Macs, I'm enjoying the new highly improved Thunderbird.

My favorite iPhone app is Webmail++

Fast, fun, and very stable, this combo makes handling the large volume of mail I receive, quite easy.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:15 PM   #3
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

I've switched back and forth between Apple Mail and Outlook several times.

The lack of auto-caps at the start of sentences on Apple Mail drives me nuts. Once I found the option to set the email program in Aperture I was back to Outlook - which is still not nearly as good as the Windows version in some ways, and much better in others.
NewbieCanada is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Pinkie Pie
macrumors regular

ngl, I just check my email on my iPad or iPhone because the built-in Mail app is too big and clunky for my needs (email is pretty much solely for notifications from websites) and Sparrow refuses to work. But Sparrow was nice in the little time I got to spend with it.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:29 PM   #5
johndoe119
macrumors newbie

Sparrow for mac. Best mail client I've used.

http://sparrowapp.com/

There's a mac version and an iPhone version. I use both. As a bonus, if you use Gmail, there's excellent Gmail integration. The full mac version costs $10 via the app store, but you can use the ad support version for free. I spent the money and I haven't looked back.
johndoe119 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:57 AM   #6
calb
macrumors 6502

I switched to Sparrow last year and have been using it ever since.
calb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:14 AM   #7
zarusoba
macrumors 6502

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe119 View Post
Sparrow for mac. Best mail client I've used.

http://sparrowapp.com/

There's a mac version and an iPhone version. I use both. As a bonus, if you use Gmail, there's excellent Gmail integration. The full mac version costs $10 via the app store, but you can use the ad support version for free. I spent the money and I haven't looked back.
zarusoba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Dweez
macrumors 65816

On my work MBP I've officially dumped Outlook and have gone Mail.app exclusively. On the home MPB we use Thunderbird.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Macman45
macrumors G5

Thunderbird after becoming REALLY frustrated with Outlook...Might try it since the latest round of updates claims to fix things.

Last edited by Macman45; Apr 16, 2012 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Typo
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:27 AM   #10
SandboxGeneral

I use Mail.app. Tried Thunderbird a while ago and switched back to Mail.app. I have Outlook 2011, but never opened yet.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:29 AM   #11
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

I used to use mail apps, but now just use webmail. I think my favourite was outlook though.
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:24 AM   #12
ItsMeCD
macrumors newbie

The built-in mail app here as well. I've tried TB and Outlook but I like the integration of the mail app much better.
ItsMeCD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:28 AM   #13
3bs
macrumors 603

Mail.app it's not perfect but it gets the job done
3bs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:45 AM   #14
keifer64
macrumors newbie

re. What mail app do you use?

I switched from Outlook to Thunderbird on windows years ago. When I switched from Windows to Mac, I was able to port all my e-mails and folders and contacts right over to the mac.
Thunderbird and has tons of plugins to add any functionality you're missing.

The greatest part for me is to have multiple accounts set up all on 1 e-mail app and they all have their own separate inbox. This way I can have my home and work related e-mails on one client and not mix the two.
keifer64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:48 AM   #15
kastorff
macrumors member

Apple Mail with SpamSieve, Mail Act-On, and MailTags plugins.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:12 AM   #16
odinsride
macrumors 65816

Gmail with Google Chrome...I've never seen a good reason to use a dedicated email client, but that's just me.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:30 PM   #17
infobleep
macrumors regular

I had just spend some minutes typing my message hers and then Safari on my iPod crashed and I lost what I had typed. Would that be a bug causing that to happen? Not that I could replicate it.

As I was saying, I am sick of Mail and the add on I use Mail-Act-on. Mail may have problems dealing with large volumes of e-mails say 50-100 per 1-2 days from various accounts. I'm certainly having problems with it.

I use message rules and because Mail doesn't allow you to combine and & or into one rule, I use the Mail-Act-On plugin. As an aside, Outloook Express offered more advanced email rules as fat back as 2000 if not before, yet Apple don't 12+ years later.

Mail-Act-on however does have bugs, such as duplicating ny emial and sending it to the wrong folder. I've been in contact with the company who make it a reasonable number of times and I think they have given up trying to locate and find the source of the problem.

When I last researched this, Entourage wasn't considered good and Thunderbird didn't offer more advanced mail rules. I believe from memory Opera did. However everything was tied to email accounts which meant if you deleted an account, all your offline emails would get deleted. Like I want that to happen.

I am considering Outlook for Mac. Might see if Thunderbird has improved at all. I don't know if Sparrow has any advanced email rules.
infobleep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:33 AM   #18
sinanziric
macrumors newbie

I'm yahoo user and i enjoy using Mail.app, it's just great, looks nice, easy to use. I don't see any reason why should i switch to any other mail client, maybe that would be needed for some mail providers, but Mail.app is good enough.
sinanziric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:09 AM   #19
MadMitch89
macrumors regular

I use Outlook 2011 for my exchange (work) account and mail.app for my iCloud account (mainly just online shopping). Works well. No overlapping of work and personal items.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:26 AM   #20
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

I use the mail app on my iPhone/iPad, else just web based interface.
Sedulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:47 AM   #21
Mantasis
macrumors member

Just started using Postbox...Lots to like, but it seems to be buggy...Only just started using it though...
Mantasis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:18 AM   #22
The Mercurian
macrumors 6502

I use 3 different ones - Mail, Thunderbird and Sparrow. Thunderbird is the best imho.

Why 3 ? Because they ALL suck at multiple accounts and I like to get separate notifications when mail comes to different accounts
The Mercurian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:52 AM   #23
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I've used Thunderbird and the native mail app. However, lately I've been having problems with the mail app so I'm trying out Sparrow. I'm likely to change back to the mail app once I can figure out how to fix the problem. I really like both Thunderbird and the native app.
jojoba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:52 AM   #24
wilsonlaidlaw
macrumors regular

Outlook but only because it is the best of a bad lot

Mail apps are the only real area where Mac is still seriously behind Windoze. I want an integrated business mail (for multiple mail addresses)/contacts/notes/diary and task manager app just like Outlook has been on PC for donkey's years. Outlook 2011 purports to be that but is missing basic things like stationery, which was promised but has never arrived. It is also far too difficult to import and export from MS's weird proprietary data formats. Mail is an amateur app and does not work for integrated business use. I have to admit I have not looked at Thunderbird for some years, as it was good back in 2003 but had not moved on. If there is a new version, I will have a look.

A stupid 12 year old could have designed sync better on Outlook 2011. MS knew it was going to have to sync to Mobile Me/iCloud via Address book/calendar/notes etc. It should not have been too difficult or onerous to have made sure the field names and types matched, so that data transferred backwards and forwards without ending up in the wrong field, duplicating data or going missing altogether. Obviously it was too difficult for the genii at MS' Mac division. They really need to get a decent senior manager in there who can shake things up and kick some ass.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:29 AM   #25
calb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinsride View Post
Gmail with Google Chrome...I've never seen a good reason to use a dedicated email client, but that's just me.
Just you. Well not just you, but for those of us running multiple email accounts with different providers it's much more convenient for them to be in one place.
calb is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store