Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Rogifan
macrumors G3

How do I know what data is taking up space on my iPhone?

I have a 32GB 4S. I recently received a message that my phone is running out of space. How do I know what documents and data are taking up space on my phone? Obviously some things are easy...I know my music, videos and Spotify are the biggest culprits. And I also use podcasting software and the Nook app. But with some of my apps I wasn't sure what was causing the large data store. For instance I use TweetDeck. The size of the app is 2.5MB. But the total usage on my phone was showing 430MB. I ended up removing the app and reinstalling it to reduce the size. But what is all that data and how do you remove it without having to uninstall and reinstall the app? I use TweetDeck a lot so I don't want to have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling it to reduce the app size. Another example is the EuropeanTour golf app. I hardly ever use the app but it says I have 17MB worth of documents & data stored on my phone. Is there a way to tell what that is and how to get rid of it?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:17 AM   #2
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

I think there is an option in General: About settings that gives you some more info.

Also the bar at the bottom in iTunes show how much is made up of each media kind
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Intell
macrumors P6

An application's data also contains caches, settings, application generated files and folders.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
An application's data also contains caches, settings, application generated files and folders.
I'm assuming it's the cache that's eating up space. Is there any way to clear the cache without removing and reinstalling the app?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
I think there is an option in General: About settings that gives you some more info.

Also the bar at the bottom in iTunes show how much is made up of each media kind
I can easily see which apps are taking up the most space but within some apps I'm not sure why they're as large as they are (as they're a lot larger than the initial size of the app when I downloaded it).
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Antoni Nygaard
macrumors 6502

Most of the cases it's the cache that's going up in size. There is lo limitations that I know of. The cache file of some of my apps is. : tweetbot 128mb, Facebook 33.5mb, flipboard 28mb. Instagram 17.6mb. All of them is just getting bigger for everyday.

I recently reinstalled some the apps that used lot of space. That's why they not so big anymore.

I don't get why the developers didn't put a limitation on or the cache could clean itself after a maximum of mb.
Antoni Nygaard is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier