Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:31 AM   #1
kocoman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
How to prevent someone from turning off "Find my ipad"

Anyone can go into Settings > Location Services, then Turn off location services.

This message will pop up

“Turning off Location Services will no longer enable you to locate your ipad on a map with "Find My iPad"
kocoman is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Gol27
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Wirelessly posted

I think that's why people password lock their devices. That way they can't get to the settings area to turn location services off.
Gol27 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:34 AM   #3
miles01110
macrumors 604
 
miles01110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Obviously a passcode or a password will prevent someone from getting in to turn it (location services) off.
__________________
Got a problem? Check here first.

Last edited by miles01110; Apr 16, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
miles01110 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:39 AM   #4
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
The best way I have found is to set a password in Settings > General > Restrictions. Over here, you must disable that any changes can be made to Contacts.
ThatsMeRight is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:17 AM   #5
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
The best way I have found is to set a password in Settings > General > Restrictions. Over here, you must disable that any changes can be made to Contacts.


Yeup, best way!
Screen lock will give another added layer of protrecton.
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Herdfan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Obviously a passcode or a password will prevent someone from getting in to turn it off.
Location services, yes. The device? No. You can turn off an iPhone that uses passcode or password without it. Takes about 10 seconds. Has the same effect as turning location services off.

Sent TC an email about this but never got a response.
Herdfan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
miles01110
macrumors 604
 
miles01110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdfan View Post
Location services, yes. The device? No. You can turn off an iPhone that uses passcode or password without it. Takes about 10 seconds. Has the same effect as turning location services off.

Sent TC an email about this but never got a response.
Right. Ambiguous pronouns ftl.
__________________
Got a problem? Check here first.
miles01110 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:58 AM   #8
rmhop81
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
Anyone can go into Settings > Location Services, then Turn off location services.

This message will pop up

“Turning off Location Services will no longer enable you to locate your ipad on a map with "Find My iPad"
it won't matter. if they find your device and it has a lock code they can simply turn the device off and you won't be able to locate it via find my iphone.
__________________
MBA|11.6"|128GB • iPad rMini|32GB|LTE • iPhone 5|16GB • Apple TVTime Capsule
rmhop81 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back in time 2.0 (iPad|iPhone) "The coolest history textbook you’ll find on the iPad" LANDKA iPad Apps 0 Jul 13, 2013 04:56 AM
Script to prevent Macbook with "Replace Soon" battery from crashing spt MacBook Pro 0 Jun 13, 2013 02:03 PM
iPad: Does anyone else find it funny how some say the ipad 3 is all of a sudden "flawed"? Jacoblee23 iPad 13 Nov 1, 2012 06:35 AM
does the rMBP 13" SD card "stick out" to prevent quasi-internal SD harddrives? SphericalPear MacBook Pro 6 Oct 28, 2012 10:52 AM
Why I find an "iPad mini" appealing zachnelson iPad 15 Aug 17, 2012 12:29 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC