Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I'm using a Mac, and using the latest Redsn0w. I have my SHSH saved for 5.0.1 and can successfully download them from Cydia via Tiny Umbrella. I have used Redsn0w to verify the blobs, and the Apticket is also valid.

I then choose to stitch the blobs to the 5.0.1 ipsw file and create a custom ipsw, although I don't see this NO_BB ipsw, all I see is a new ipsw with the same name as the blobs file (a series of numbers).

I then enter pwned DFU mode, and use the usual method of browsing for an ipsw in iTunes, selecting my custom build ipsw from Redsn0w. The restores gets 3/4 of the way through then tosses me out, giving me iTunes Error 1 and returning me to Recovery Mode and the "Connect To iTunes" screen.

Am I missing a step in the custom ipsw build process? I also edited the host file to ensure that the 74 ... etc etc gs.apple was not scored out at the beginning of it's line, thus pointing iTunes to the Saurik servers.

All the decent guides I can find on Google for downgrading mention iFaith, but this is Windows only correct?

Thanks.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yes you are missing a step

first make a custom NO_BB ipsw in redsn0w/extra's/Custom IPSW

with the NO_BB IPSW create the stitched IPSW in SHSH/Stich

Almost there

good luck

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
If you have a CDMA iPhone 4 that might be your problem. I had this exact problem a few days ago and couldn't get around it, seems like the custom OS loads but it goes into recovery and there is NO way out. There must be an issue with redsn0w/CDMA iPhone 4. It won't even auto detect the software after a reboot when jail breaking. I have always had to go in and select the OS before doing any jailbreaks, only on the CDMA iPhone once again. How I got around the downgrade is using iFaith, which yes is windows only...had an old computer laying around!:)

Hope this other method works for you! Keep us updated.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
If you have a CDMA iPhone 4 that might be your problem. I had this exact problem a few days ago and couldn't get around it, seems like the custom OS loads but it goes into recovery and there is NO way out. There must be an issue with redsn0w/CDMA iPhone 4. It won't even auto detect the software after a reboot when jail breaking. I have always had to go in and select the OS before doing any jailbreaks, only on the CDMA iPhone once again. How I got around the downgrade is using iFaith, which yes is windows only...had an old computer laying around!:)

Hope this other method works for you! Keep us updated.

Nope, I have a GSM iPhone 4, UK unlocked model sold by Apple Store.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Not gotten round to trying the NO_BB method yet, just like to ask what the NO_BB is required for? My iPhone is a factory unlocked UK model bought from the Apple Store directly.

What does adding the NO_BB step do to the ipsw file and why is it needed? I just don't want to end up in an endless recovery cycle like the above guy mentioned.

Thanks.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Error 1 or -1 is a BB error in the restore, with the 5.1 restore you installed the 4.12.01 BB.

BB can't be downgraded, so if you then try to install stock 5.01 with SHSH stitched it will error-out when it tries to install the 4.11.08 BB from 5.01.

you do it like dhlizard says and kick it out of recovery when the rror occurs or the NO_BB IPSW without any errors.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Ok, dunno what I'm doing wrong, I genuinely suck at this Jailbreaking stuff.

Created a NO_BB ipsw then stitched the SHSH to the NO_BB ipsw, entered pwned DFU mode, checked the host file for the '74 etc etc' line, Alt+Click in iTunes to select the NO_BB ipsw and it gives a 1600 iTunes error.

Think I'll admit defeat and leave this to you guys who know your stuff.

jay47

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
You do not need your hosts pointed to sauriks server if you have stitched your blobs into the ipsw file . Your hosts should be left unedited & pointing to apple server .

The only time you need to edit your hosts is when you have not downloaded & stitched your blobs into a custom ipsw .

Try changing your hosts back to apple & stitch your blobs to the stock apple ipsw . Then create a no BB ipsw from the stitched one .

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Your host file is now pointing to Cydia, thats the reason you get the 1600 error.

The only thing you need to do is open TinyUmbrella, go to advanced tab, UNCHECK Set Host to cydia, close TU

If you fix that your are set to go.

Don't give up, you are close :)

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Right:

Downloaded 5.0.1 ipsw - check.
Download latest Redsn0w - check.
Download SHSH - check.
Check SHSH in Redsn0w, Apticket valid and present - check.
Create NO_BB ipsw - check.
Stitch SHSH to NO_BB ipsw - check.
Enter pwned DFU mode - check.
Host file left as stock, ie: no pointing to Saurik.
Alt + Click in iTunes, select ipsw created - check.

"iPhone Not Eligable For Requested Build".

LOL!

----------

You do not need your hosts pointed to sauriks server if you have stitched your blobs into the ipsw file . Your hosts should be left unedited & pointing to apple server .

The only time you need to edit your hosts is when you have not downloaded & stitched your blobs into a custom ipsw .

Try changing your hosts back to apple & stitch your blobs to the stock apple ipsw . Then create a no BB ipsw from the stitched one .

I'm trying your method, as I'd been created a NO_BB ipsw BEFORE stitching the SHSH blobs. Just stitching SHSH to a NO_BB ipsw and I'll try that.

Edit: when trying to create a NO_BB ipsw from a pre-stitched stock ipsw, it gets to decrypting file system then tosses up a "General Error". Oh well.

WeegieMac

Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Finally! :D dhlizard's method worked for me.

Created a stitched ipsw using my SHSH, checked host file was set to stock, went into pwned DFU mode, used custom ipsw, got error 1, used Fix Recovery in Redsn0w (I thought it was jailbreaking it at first, but it didn't go the whole way), and now I'm back on 5.0.1.

MANY thanks for ALL your help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.