Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

figureicon-150x150.png

We first previewed Propellerhead Software's second iOS app, Figure, last month. It's since been released and has been featured as Apple's iPhone App of the Week in the United States.

The software, powered by Reason -- the company's flagship music production software -- aims to let amateur musicians create their own beats through powerful but easy-to-use multitouch controls.
Playing bass, drums, and lead melodies on Figure all happens through the performance pads. These have been designed for touch control from the beginning. You can tap them like traditional keyboards or pad controllers or you can simply hold your finger down and let the rhythm wheels provide a pattern for you. You can easily tap into the sound-sculpting power of Thor's filters, envelopes, and effects by adjusting each preset's "Tweaks". Don't know what a filter or envelope is? No problem! Just move your finger along the same performance pad and listen to the changes in sound.

Figure for iPhone is available for $0.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Propellerhead Software's 'Figure' Delivers Beats On The Go

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Looks like fun. Hopefully it'll come out on the iPad soon but without the ability to save these songs, what's the point of this app?

Dogface

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
The sound from this app and the sounds you can create are great but it is very limited.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
The sound from this app and the sounds you can create are great but it is very limited.

If you actually dig pretty deep, and are creative enough the sounds can be pretty varied. Sure it's not unlimited but that's not the point, it's a for making your own grooves on the go with an extremely polished interface.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I love this app. My girlfriend gets a kick out of seeing how focused I get when using the app. It's a nice little program to make some music when I am away from the keyboard or guitars.

E

erijkgabriel

It does have a recording feature... :cool:

Glassed Silver:mac

Yes it does, but that's limited to 2 bars recording.

There is no way to export a song, or record multiple 2 bars. So it actually is very limited, I'm a bit disappointed.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Yes it does, but that's limited to 2 bars recording.

There is no way to export a song, or record multiple 2 bars. So it actually is very limited, I'm a bit disappointed.

In defense of Propellerheads,
1. they want you to buy Reason.
2. what would the arrangement of the exported file be? 2 bars?
3. They said it was just a quick sketch mechanism.

All of that said, I dig reason, but this app is a bit too restrictive for my taste. I appreciate trying not to simply add touch to reason, but it IS a virtual rack. I think most of it would hold up. definitely not all... because right click hides some bits, but this is way too far in the 'show them less' direction.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
What do you expect out of $.99? Sure there are some limitations, but I honestly think those boundaries force you to be more creative. Here's an example of me including Figure in my iOS music setup within the first hour of downloading it:

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Cool app but I'd like to see them add the ability to save and export songs. Of course they want you to buy Reason...which is all the more reason to add the feature of exporting to Reason. Garageband iOS exports to GB mac or Logic and I'm sure that doesn't hurt sales of either of those.

I'd be happy to pay a bit more for more functionality. Maybe lite/full versions?

Also, I'm surprised no iPad version. That would be very cool, especially if they supported the new hi resolution.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
Love your setup
What do you expect out of $.99? Sure there are some limitations, but I honestly think those boundaries force you to be more creative. Here's an example of me including Figure in my iOS music setup within the first hour of downloading it: YouTube: video

most people are not taking the fact it's a app for sketching ideas

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
most people are not taking the fact it's a app for sketching ideas

Any app intended for sketching ideas would have a way to save or export. An app that doesn't have that seems more like something to just play around with. Something very cool to play around with, of course, but it would be nice to see them beef up the functionality a bit.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Looks like fun. Hopefully it'll come out on the iPad soon but without the ability to save these songs, what's the point of this app?
What's the point of a guitar? What's the point of a piano? What's the point of drums? You make music. They don't record and no one complains. The idea is just to create and keep creating, not just make a long loop. You're supposed to keep interacting with it. Play with it and feed it into something else to record, if you feel the need. I think this is pretty cool, personally.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
What do you expect out of $.99? Sure there are some limitations, but I honestly think those boundaries force you to be more creative. Here's an example of me including Figure in my iOS music setup within the first hour of downloading it

Very nice! I really enjoyed watching that.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
What do you expect out of $.99? Sure there are some limitations, but I honestly think those boundaries force you to be more creative. Here's an example of me including Figure in my iOS music setup within the first hour of downloading it: YouTube: video

Very nicely done!

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
yeh.

what the deal with tech forums? i guess most people here aren't artists.
There was the same outcry with paper by 53 or whoever.

these things are for fleshing out ideas, getting fresh inspiration from new tools. Artists are always grabbing new things and doing something new with them.

A real artist already has a recording studio with pro software.
this is just an instrument.

sheesh! no wonder nerds are looked down on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.