Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hey guys I just bought a Gevey Ultra S to unlock my Rogers iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1.1...wish Rogers were nice like AT&T and offered a uncomplicated unlock procedure but thats not the case so I have no choice but to rely on the good ol Gevey SIM. I got it working, everything is nice and smooth as it should be, Even after restart the phone get signal within <1min....

My problem is that I cannot get iMessage and FaceTime to activate.....from my research It shows that the phone is trying to send a text to Rogers local short code 2639(iMessage) and 48899(FaceTime) but because I am in the states it isn't able to. AT&T has their own local short code and others use a International number (where text is sent to activate your iMessage and FaceTime) which starts with +44xxxxxxxxx(Its a UK one so international texting rates apply) but unfortunately I do not have access to the carrier.plist which is the only way I know that you can change/update the info so iMessage/FaceTime activates.....

Anyone else using a Rogers/Telus/Bell iPhone 4S with iOS5.1.1 on a international Carrier/Outside Canada...? (Rogers/Bell/Telus all share the same short codes to activate iMessage/FaceTime so if you are using one of their iPhone's on any canadian carrier it'll work no problem)

I have called ApplenBerry for a solution but the guys them selves didn't know about it.....and are looking into it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

UPDATE MAY 01/2012: I was wondering since the Jailbreak is out for iOS 5.1.1 can I just replace the Carrier.plist, Carrier.pri, info.plist and version.plist from "CarrierLab.bundle" to "Rogers_ca.bundle"? is that ok to do? Can anyone confirm who is running iOS 5.1.1?, I found this info in my Factory Unlocked iPhone 4S so I was wondering if all I have to do is just copy the 4 files and swap them over.....

NOTE: I added TELUS, BELL into the Title as well because those iPhone's are having same issues

Update May 09/2012: I have found a few articles/threads on different forums fixing this issue in slightly different ways, if someone can test out and report back would be great:

http://ios-news.blogspot.ca/2012/04/fixing-it-right.html

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...Voicemail-Imessage-Facetime-Personal-Hot-Spot

http://t-mobilesupportalcommunity2.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/2856

Last edited:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I didn't realize that there is a gevey unlock for the 4S. I guess I'll stop bugging AT&T's CEO via email then.

I wasn't in a hurry to get an unlock, as long as it's before my next trip to Japan.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I didn't realize that there is a gevey unlock for the 4S. I guess I'll stop bugging AT&T's CEO via email then.

I wasn't in a hurry to get an unlock, as long as it's before my next trip to Japan.

Ya it works 100% no doubt about it....but only iMessage and FaceTime having issue with activation....which will be easily fixable once the Jailbreak is out tho.....until then we have to brace our selves unless someone knows a workaround.....which would be greatly appreciated/really helpful:D

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Ya it works 100% no doubt about it....but only iMessage and FaceTime having issue with activation....which will be easily fixable once the Jailbreak is out tho.....until then we have to brace our selves unless someone knows a workaround.....which would be greatly appreciated/really helpful:D

Would be nice to get everything working, but I am only looking at using it for 2 to 4 weeks at a time. Hopefully you'll find a way to make it work.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
if u want to buy it, get it from the "Battery-Juice" seller on eBay....thats where I got mine...he is a distributor for applenberry.com and the chip works as described without issues. Took me approx 3 minutes to get signal.

Still I'm hoping someone has a work around....im sure there are tons of international users using Gevey Ultra S on their iPhone 4S's.....where are you guys:(

weaselmtl

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
if u want to buy it, get it from the "Battery-Juice" seller on eBay....thats where I got mine...he is a distributor for applenberry.com and the chip works as described without issues. Took me approx 3 minutes to get signal.

Still I'm hoping someone has a work around....im sure there are tons of international users using Gevey Ultra S on their iPhone 4S's.....where are you guys:(

$16 to ship a regular envelope via USPS to Canada! No thanks.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ORIGINAL-GEN...=SIM_Cards&hash=item27c550a4c1#ht_9350wt_1163

rodolfo7171

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012

yea im in the same boat as you. i guess all we can do for now is just wait until there is a jailbreak for 4s which who knows how long that will take?

i was actually considering just sending a blank text message to the number +011447786205094. thats the number that shows up in all the guides to activate using gevey

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
yea im in the same boat as you. i guess all we can do for now is just wait until there is a jailbreak for 4s which who knows how long that will take?

i was actually considering just sending a blank text message to the number +011447786205094. thats the number that shows up in all the guides to activate using gevey

can you send a blank text to that and see what happens? let me know please i don't have a texting package right now.

Batman&Robbin

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Sorry for the thread crap. I found this forum from Googling. Can anyone confirm if the Gevey Ultra S works with 5.1? I bought a Gevey Ultra S from http://www.geveypro.com/shop/produc...red-iPhone-4S-Unlocker-*iOS-5.1-Support*.html earlier today.

I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1 and I want to use it when I go on vacation next week. Please let me know. Otherwise I'll need to buy a prepaid phone once I'm there!

Last edited:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Sorry for the thread crap. I found this forum from Googling. Can anyone confirm if the Gevey Ultra S works with 5.1? I bought a Gevey Ultra S from http://www.geveypro.com/shop/produc...red-iPhone-4S-Unlocker-*iOS-5.1-Support*.html earlier today.

I have an iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1 and I want to use it when I go on vacation next week. Please let me know. Otherwise I'll need to buy a prepaid phone once I'm there!

Where are you located? I bought the official one from ApplenBerry.com distributor "Battery-Juice" for $29.99 and it works like a charm on one of my iPhone 4S Locked to Rogers Wireless in Canada running iOS 5.1.....SO YES IT WORKS!....only problem I'm having is with the iMessage and FaceTime

PS...these things are so delicate in a way that its best to spend the money on original and not trust a single outside source no matter how trust worthy they are because I have bought a counterfeit couple times when selling my iPhone 4(2 of them) and trust me things don't work out of the box and are a headache. But the one for my 4S Gevey Ultra S because its original it works like a charm and straight out of the box! took me less than 3minutes to have it up and running.

Pinkthegreat

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
I was wondering how you got your 4s 5.1 to work on the gevey ultra S. I went to a store and they tried the gevey sim out, but it didn't work and that they had to wait for the jailbreak to come out. I also tried using a gpp sim, but it said activation required. Please help.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I was wondering how you got your 4s 5.1 to work on the gevey ultra S. I went to a store and they tried the gevey sim out, but it didn't work and that they had to wait for the jailbreak to come out. I also tried using a gpp sim, but it said activation required. Please help.
It has to be the GEVEY Ultra S Version 1.6 and it does not work on CDMA iPhone.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Yup has to be 1.6.....and honestly I would STAY AWAY from the chinese knock offs.....DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT I repeat trust the chips, they are extremely cheap quality and unreliable. Your iPhone isn't worth damaging.....I have tried the fake chinese ones many times but they don't work as long and aren't as reliable. If you want buy it from eBay because applenberry.com their own prices are higher but their distributors (ApplenAndroid and Battery-Juice) on eBay sell it for good 20-40% off. I bought my first original one (bought 3-4 chinese cheap ones) an I've never been happier....

Pinkthegreat

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Yup has to be 1.6.....and honestly I would STAY AWAY from the chinese knock offs.....DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT I repeat trust the chips, they are extremely cheap quality and unreliable. Your iPhone isn't worth damaging.....I have tried the fake chinese ones many times but they don't work as long and aren't as reliable. If you want buy it from eBay because applenberry.com their own prices are higher but their distributors (ApplenAndroid and Battery-Juice) on eBay sell it for good 20-40% off. I bought my first original one (bought 3-4 chinese cheap ones) an I've never been happier....

Thanks, bought one from battery-juice. I hope it works. Really want to use my 4s.

Batman&Robbin

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Sorry for the thread crap. I found this forum from Googling. Can anyone confirm if the Gevey Ultra S works with 5.1? I bought a Gevey Ultra S from http://www.geveypro.com/shop/product...upport*.html earlier today.

Didn't know USPS does delivery for priority shipments on Sunday. Got it today!

I have iOS5.1 and AT&T. I popped it in, and it worked within a couple minutes. It works perfectly and looks identical to the one sold on applenberry. I'm happy I didn't pay $40 if I didn't have too. $40 seems alot for what this is, a small little chip and tray. $25's reasonable enough I guess, for being a new product.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Didn't know USPS does delivery for priority shipments on Sunday. Got it today!

I have iOS5.1 and AT&T. I popped it in, and it worked within a couple minutes. It works perfectly and looks identical to the one sold on applenberry. I'm happy I didn't pay $40 if I didn't have too. $40 seems alot for what this is, a small little chip and tray. $25's reasonable enough I guess, for being a new product.

I hope it works out for you, BatteryJuice was selling original for $27.xx this week, I just feel better with original than any copy-cat but glad your enjoying, can you tell me if/when you get iMessage/Facetime activated? are you having any issues? what network you using it with?

Batman&Robbin

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
I hope it works out for you, BatteryJuice was selling original for $27.xx this week, I just feel better with original than any copy-cat but glad your enjoying, can you tell me if/when you get iMessage/Facetime activated? are you having any issues? what network you using it with?

How can I tell if it's a copycat? The only difference I see from BatteryJuice and GeveyPro.com is the price. GeveyPro.com doesn't specifically say its 1.6, but it is working on my ios5.1 AT&T locked phone. So it must be?

I only put in my friends T-Mobile SIM to test it and it connected after a couple minutes. I'll try to borrow it again before I leave to test iMessage. My iphone 4s is already activated through iTunes if that makes a difference.

Can anyone confirm if iMessage/FaceTime works with AT&T unlocked phones?

cnblue

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
Hey, so glad that I found this thread as I want to unlock my Bell iPhone 4S 5.1. I'm gonna get one but I'm just wondering if theres any additional charges from costums since shipping from US to Canada (buying from BatteryJuice). Is GeveyPro.com legit? It's a little cheaper shipping to Canada. Thanks!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hey, so glad that I found this thread as I want to unlock my Bell iPhone 4S 5.1. I'm gonna get one but I'm just wondering if theres any additional charges from costums since shipping from US to Canada (buying from BatteryJuice). Is GeveyPro.com legit? It's a little cheaper shipping to Canada. Thanks!

I would recommend Battery-Juice....or you can wait a couple weeks until jailbreak is out then you can do that software unlock instead.....im sure geveypro.com isn't so bad but again as I said I have had my luck with counterfeits. Also the issue with gevey pro I'm having is with iMessage and now to be honest its getting annoying as the phone is being used in USA we constantly keep getting text message saying "please enter a 10 digit number" as even tho iMessage is turned off it somehow still trying to send a message out to apple servers via the shot code 2639 which belongs to the Rogers, Telus and Bell....its annoying to the max.....unless we do a plan all we keep getting is the texts.

If you are on Bell and want to use it within Canada jus on another carrier you will be 100% fine. But anywhere outside without a jailbreak you will also more than likely suffer from the issue I'm having.

allenjuncool

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
Same issue with you hope get solution

Hello Satnam1989
My iphone4S is BELL carries.
I aslo got message in 15 min all the time.
Did you get a solution?
If you get solution please tell me thank a lot..

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Can anyone confirm if iMessage/FaceTime works with AT&T unlocked phones?

The unlock method is not the issue, it is the non-native carrier.

Anytime you use a non-native carrier, getting iMessage and FaceTime activated for your cell number is dicey. They send out an authorization code which un-official carriers interpret as an international SMS. So, getting iMessage and FaceTime to work with your cellular phone # is very difficult on un-official carriers. However, they will both work with an email with no issues.

When I put a T-Mobile sim in my IMEI unlocked iPhone4 the first message I see that pops up is the warning about charges for getting iMessage & FaceTime activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.