Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My girlfriend bought a 3GS from Amazon, that was unlocked to use with her AT&T GoPhone account.

LIke an idiot that I was, I just went ahead and restored the phone, as we didn't care about the unlock on it, since we were planning to use it with AT&T anyway. The iPhone wouldn't activate, and the SIM Card taken out doesn't even generate a "No SIM" Message. It is as if the SIM Card reader is screwed up.

WHEN IT DID WORK, it was on iOS 4 (We restored it because there was a problem with the microphone ALREADY RIGHT OFF THE BAT, hoping that a restore would fix the thing).

It is still under warranty with Apple, and I restored it with Apple firmware, as we don't care about jailbreaks or unlocked. I only bought this for her from Amazon with the anticipation of using it with an AT&T SIM, and the jailbroken/unlocked ones were the lowest priced.

Now I want to go get this phone swapped out under AppleCare. How do I go about doing this? How do I remove all traces that we tried to get this thing to work? It is now on iOS 5.1 and wouldn't work. Because we BOUGHT the thing jailbroken, is there a way to remove all traces of it so we can take it into Apple? Would Apple reject us because we are trying to use it with a prepaid SIM card (even though it is an AT&T one)?

It looks like I have to return this phone to the seller and pick her up an iPhone 4 if anything. I just hate seeing her so disappointed as she was so excited to get the phone. Not also happy about being out $200 for a paperweight.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Apple shouldn't reject you based on the contract you signed with a completely different company. Regardless, you can probably fix this problem yourself using Redsn0w to reflash the iPad BB that's likely on your device. Search the Hacks subforum for instructions. Also, check out iclarified.com for tutorials and downloads of necessary programs and firmwares.

To answer your other question, a DFU restore as new would wipe all data from the device.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
You do NOT need to unlock to use the AT&T Go Phone plan. You don't even need to unlock to use the Straight Talk prepaid plan if you chose the AT&T option. Reason is they are still both AT&T.

Also I highly recommend staying away from the iPad base bands now that AT&T is offering some unlocks.

My last three iPhones were all locked to AT&T on Go Phone prepaid. All you need is to change the APN to get data.

Just plain restore it and select As a new iPhone, this removes all traces of jailbreak and misconfiguration problems. If this doesn't work make a genius appointment, they don't care about the Go Phone part and they won't be able to tell if it was jailbroken.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What you said doesn't make sense because in reality, prices for unlocked phone > price for locked phones.

It seems that you tried to JB and screwed up.

However, just go to Apple Store, and they'll probably just swap it.

jimbo23

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
what did you say when you talked to them?

im in the same situation as op and reaaaallly would like to get it working. can you guys give me a little more info on the baseband tricks? i'm a little confused with the baseband stuff

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just went into Apple and told them the truth (not about the JB), but in my case I bought the thing unlocked and JB already, but we had the intent on using it with AT&T.

We told the genius we didn't know what was going on when we updated it (even though I knew it was because there was an iPad baseband on the 3GS...but I didn't find out until after I updated the phone).

NOT only that but the microphone was broken on the new (to us) iPhone so Apple should have replaced it either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.