Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:22 PM   #1
htg
macrumors regular

Will a standard ATX board fit in a Powermac G4 (MDD)?

Before you comment about what a noob I am and how I should just get a ATX case, I am well aware that a Powermac G4 needs some serious modding in order to accommodate any other board, be it Micro-ATX or otherwise, and I am willing to do that.

What I wanted to know was whether a standard ATX board (not Micro ATX) would fit. In all the other mods I've looked at, people have used Micro ATX, but it is physically possible to put an normal ATX board in there?

Also, heatsink fans and the like hitting the PSU shouldn't be problem as I intend to liquid cool it using an external system. Are there any other reasons why a full size ATX mobo would work (such as I/O ports etc...) Mind you, I don't think that those would cause a serious problem as you have to completely cut out the back panel anyway.

EDIT: Almost forgot, not using this for a Hackintosh, so it's perfectly legal

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Goftrey
macrumors 68000

From what it looks like, it's possible. There's a whole series on YouTube that goes in to great depth on every thing you need to take into account. Here's part 1

Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:27 AM   #3
quaternio
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goftrey View Post
From what it looks like, it's possible. There's a whole series on YouTube that goes in to great depth on every thing you need to take into account. Here's part 1

YouTube: video
I was wondering the same thing: if anybody had successfully fit an atx into a MDD Powermac G4. Haven't found an answer, but to be clear, this video is not of an MDD. It's a graphite.
quaternio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:43 AM   #4
reddrag0n
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to reddrag0n Send a message via Skype™ to reddrag0n
Only problem i foresee in the MDD is that it takes the BTX standard boards. And i don't know if there are many Micro BTX boards out there. That's why the older G4 cases use traditional ATX standards.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
archtopshop
macrumors regular

This might be what you are looking for:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=50817
archtopshop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Juiffi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddrag0n View Post
Only problem i foresee in the MDD is that it takes the BTX standard boards. And i don't know if there are many Micro BTX boards out there. That's why the older G4 cases use traditional ATX standards.
Is this true? I can't find any info on the old graphite G4 Logic board form factors. I happen to have some old G4 macs lying around and could actually build my PC into one.
Juiffi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs