Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

htg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
Before you comment about what a noob I am and how I should just get a ATX case, I am well aware that a Powermac G4 needs some serious modding in order to accommodate any other board, be it Micro-ATX or otherwise, and I am willing to do that.

What I wanted to know was whether a standard ATX board (not Micro ATX) would fit. In all the other mods I've looked at, people have used Micro ATX, but it is physically possible to put an normal ATX board in there?

Also, heatsink fans and the like hitting the PSU shouldn't be problem as I intend to liquid cool it using an external system. Are there any other reasons why a full size ATX mobo would work (such as I/O ports etc...) Mind you, I don't think that those would cause a serious problem as you have to completely cut out the back panel anyway.

EDIT: Almost forgot, not using this for a Hackintosh, so it's perfectly legal ;)

Thanks.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
From what it looks like, it's possible. There's a whole series on YouTube that goes in to great depth on every thing you need to take into account. Here's part 1

quaternio

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
From what it looks like, it's possible. There's a whole series on YouTube that goes in to great depth on every thing you need to take into account. Here's part 1

YouTube: video

I was wondering the same thing: if anybody had successfully fit an atx into a MDD Powermac G4. Haven't found an answer, but to be clear, this video is not of an MDD. It's a graphite.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Only problem i foresee in the MDD is that it takes the BTX standard boards. And i don't know if there are many Micro BTX boards out there. That's why the older G4 cases use traditional ATX standards.

Juiffi

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Only problem i foresee in the MDD is that it takes the BTX standard boards. And i don't know if there are many Micro BTX boards out there. That's why the older G4 cases use traditional ATX standards.

Is this true? I can't find any info on the old graphite G4 Logic board form factors. I happen to have some old G4 macs lying around and could actually build my PC into one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.