Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:08 PM   #1
hafr
Banned

How does iCloud work in ML?

I have tried moving a pdf file to and creating a TextEdit file in iCloud. I can see them, but not view them, through managing iCloud storage in settings in ML and in iOS. When in the opening/saving dialogue in Preview or TextEdit, I only see the one file connected to the app.

Is there any way to access the iCloud files through Finder? Which apps are used to access different file types on iOS devices (apart from the iWorks files)?
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2
arteggio
macrumors member

Currently, TextEdit and Preview seem to be the only apps available to access their respective iCloud-saved documents. But was a little buggy for me in DP2, and I'm not sure about DP3.

There is a way to access these files via Finder. Go to [User]/Library/Mobile Documents to see the apps storing in iCloud. This saved me when I accidentally forgot an unsaved document in TextEdit and couldn't re-open it through the interface. It was still within this folder.

As far as I know there is no way to access the iCloud hierarchy with any iOS app, but I could see such an ability coming to an app like Air Sharing.
arteggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Currently, TextEdit and Preview seem to be the only apps available to access their respective iCloud-saved documents. But was a little buggy for me in DP2, and I'm not sure about DP3.
Do these documents get backed up by TM or is the only copy in iCloud?

Does it keep a local copy of the iCloud files like you were able to do with iDisk?

If the answer to these questions are no, then this iCloud stuff is not quite headed in the right direction.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:23 AM   #4
arteggio
macrumors member

Hm, I hadn't considered that. I can check Tuesday when I get back to my main computer. I would say they are backed up though, as I believe most user things in Library are. But, I've never really checked so am not sure.
arteggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:23 PM   #5
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Do these documents get backed up by TM or is the only copy in iCloud?

Does it keep a local copy of the iCloud files like you were able to do with iDisk?

If the answer to these questions are no, then this iCloud stuff is not quite headed in the right direction.
Since iCloud documents are actually stored locally on your computer, I would assume they get backed up with Time Machine just like any other document. Someone else would have to confirm that though.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:17 AM   #6
Aidoneus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Since iCloud documents are actually stored locally on your computer, I would assume they get backed up with Time Machine just like any other document. Someone else would have to confirm that though.
They do. I've restored several iOS game files which became corrupted through Time Machine.
Aidoneus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion