Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
I have tried moving a pdf file to and creating a TextEdit file in iCloud. I can see them, but not view them, through managing iCloud storage in settings in ML and in iOS. When in the opening/saving dialogue in Preview or TextEdit, I only see the one file connected to the app.

Is there any way to access the iCloud files through Finder? Which apps are used to access different file types on iOS devices (apart from the iWorks files)?

arteggio

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
Currently, TextEdit and Preview seem to be the only apps available to access their respective iCloud-saved documents. But was a little buggy for me in DP2, and I'm not sure about DP3.

There is a way to access these files via Finder. Go to [User]/Library/Mobile Documents to see the apps storing in iCloud. This saved me when I accidentally forgot an unsaved document in TextEdit and couldn't re-open it through the interface. It was still within this folder.

As far as I know there is no way to access the iCloud hierarchy with any iOS app, but I could see such an ability coming to an app like Air Sharing.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Currently, TextEdit and Preview seem to be the only apps available to access their respective iCloud-saved documents. But was a little buggy for me in DP2, and I'm not sure about DP3.
Do these documents get backed up by TM or is the only copy in iCloud?

Does it keep a local copy of the iCloud files like you were able to do with iDisk?

If the answer to these questions are no, then this iCloud stuff is not quite headed in the right direction.

arteggio

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hm, I hadn't considered that. I can check Tuesday when I get back to my main computer. I would say they are backed up though, as I believe most user things in Library are. But, I've never really checked so am not sure.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Do these documents get backed up by TM or is the only copy in iCloud?

Does it keep a local copy of the iCloud files like you were able to do with iDisk?

If the answer to these questions are no, then this iCloud stuff is not quite headed in the right direction.

Since iCloud documents are actually stored locally on your computer, I would assume they get backed up with Time Machine just like any other document. Someone else would have to confirm that though.

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
Since iCloud documents are actually stored locally on your computer, I would assume they get backed up with Time Machine just like any other document. Someone else would have to confirm that though.

They do. I've restored several iOS game files which became corrupted through Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.