Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:47 AM   #1
macjoshua
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
13th iPad (for various reasons)... and still no good

Ok, so I'm on my 13th iPad. In fairness, one of those was because I decided I wanted a different color, and another one i decided i wanted to upgrade to one with 4G. 3 were returned right away in the store (scratches, dark blotches behind the screen). A couple were super yellow, one had over a dozen dead pixels, and one even had the bottom half of the screen turn baby blue!

I just got a new one from the genius bar tonight. Pretty bad backlight bleed, and the weirdest thing: there's a darker 'stripe' through the middle of the screen. Has anyone else seen this on their iPad? (Not to mention the pinkish areas)

UPDATE: I returned this iPad the next night. The Apple store employees saw the problem immediately and quickly went to swap it out. I talked with the store manager and opted for a full refund instead.



Oh... and here's one of the other screens I had. This one looked good at first, but then gradually turned to this:


And one more. This is a very light gray screen (the white balance on my phone didn't accurately show the shadows visible in real life on a white screen). This one had what I would best describe as a wrinkle in the display on the bottom left and some yellowing at the top left.


Last edited by macjoshua; Apr 21, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
macjoshua is offline   -73
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Here we go again
__________________
Samsung Series 9 11.6" Notebook | Galaxy S III | Asus Transformer Prime
Apple TV 2nd Gen | iPod Touch 4th Gen
64GB iPad Mini | iPad 2 - 32GB AT&T
Eddie Bombay is offline   26
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:51 AM   #3
macjoshua
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this. The genius bar employee told me that they would give me a full refund if this one still didn't live up to my expectations. I think I'm ready to take them up on that.
macjoshua is offline   -14
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
I've seen various combinations. I'd give up if I were you. It's ridiculous that the customer becomes Apple's QC.
__________________
Far far too much Apple kit to admit to!
Dlanod is online now   -9
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:15 AM   #5
MR1324
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
that sucks i am looking forward to reading your results on the 14th one.
MR1324 is offline   11
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:23 AM   #6
mcdj
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
I have seen the Stripe of Darkness on the left or right, but not in the center.

This pic is one of the best representations of the utterly awful quality some of these new iPad screens exhibit.

To be fair though, scratches, dust, blotches, etc. does not equate to "DOA". Dead on arrival means dead, as in does not power on, not cosmetically flawed. You're already fighting an uphill battle to be taken seriously by this crowd...don't be dramatic.
mcdj is offline   8
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:25 AM   #7
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Amalgamated States of Central North America
That's ridiculous that you have had to go through so many. I'm surprised they haven't tried capturing these. If the store has so many bad ones, you would think engineering would want to figure out what's going on.
swingerofbirch is offline   2
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:27 AM   #8
macjoshua
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
I have seen the Stripe of Darkness on the left or right, but not in the center.

This pic is one of the best representations of the utterly awful quality some of these new iPad screens exhibit.

To be fair though, scratches, dust, blotches, etc. does not equate to "DOA". Dead on arrival means dead, as in does not power on, not cosmetically flawed. You're already fighting an uphill battle to be taken seriously by this crowd...don't be dramatic.
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't trying to be dramatic, DOA is just what the Apple employees wrote on their notes for the iPads.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch View Post
That's ridiculous that you have had to go through so many. I'm surprised they haven't tried capturing these. If the store has so many bad ones, you would think engineering would want to figure out what's going on.
The thing is, the reason I've noticed they are so bad is because I work with a couple who have spectacular screens. It really is just luck of the draw I think. I don't have much luck.
macjoshua is offline   -3
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:28 AM   #9
master-ceo
macrumors 65816
 
master-ceo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The SUN
So much green in the pic it looks like it was taken with a iPhone 4.
__________________
iOS Power User

Think for Yourself, Stop Mind Control
master-ceo is offline   6
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:29 AM   #10
macjoshua
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by master-ceo View Post
So much green in the pic it looks like it was taken with a iPhone 4.
iPhone 4 indeed. It is actually a pretty good representation of what I'm seeing in real life, though. Which isn't all that wonderful.
macjoshua is offline   0
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:32 AM   #11
mcdj
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch View Post
That's ridiculous that you have had to go through so many. I'm surprised they haven't tried capturing these. If the store has so many bad ones, you would think engineering would want to figure out what's going on.
I took photos of basically the same issue, at the request of Apple corporate, who then forwarded them to "engineering". I was politely told, "Sorry, it's within spec."

I maintain that a large number of these types of flaws are present in many new iPads, and that people are either not using them in a way that it's readily noticeable, (used only for games, photos and movies) or they just can't see it, or they don't realize it shouldn't be like that because they've never owned a previous iPad.

There are more and more people chiming in here on this issue every day. There's also a 29 page thread about it on Apple's forum, and a 7 page thread on avsforums, as well as several other scattered reports on various smaller forums.

I'm willing to bet it gets bigger before it goes away.
mcdj is offline   3
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:35 AM   #12
macjoshua
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
I took photos of basically the same issue, at the request of Apple corporate, who then forwarded them to "engineering". I was politely told, "Sorry, it's within spec."
If that's the response I get from AppleCare tomorrow, I will go for the full refund the genius bar employee offered yesterday. I've had plenty of other Apple products without issues, and I don't really feel like settling for subpar quality. I'd rather just put that money toward vacation later this year.

Last edited by macjoshua; Apr 18, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
macjoshua is offline   -4
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:53 AM   #13
0m3ga
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjoshua View Post
Ok, so I'm on my 13th iPad. In fairness, two of those were because I decided I wanted a different color...
ummm, there are only 2 colors?
0m3ga is offline   15
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:25 AM   #14
master-ceo
macrumors 65816
 
master-ceo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The SUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjoshua View Post
iPhone 4 indeed. It is actually a pretty good representation of what I'm seeing in real life, though. Which isn't all that wonderful.
Forgot to mention that looking at the pic at different angles I can see the dark strip too. Apple needs to tighten up. The green + antenna in the iPhone 4 is a perfect example of the lack of beta testing and poor QC on its mobile devices.
__________________
iOS Power User

Think for Yourself, Stop Mind Control
master-ceo is offline   0
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:37 AM   #15
Giov
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I am with you for this one. If you are not happy, just settle for a refund. It's quite appalling to see that it is still happening even after a month. Don't know how long I am going to wait.
Giov is offline   3
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:40 AM   #16
Mikekan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Athens, Hellas!
Come on man...
Mikekan is offline   5
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:54 AM   #17
nicoplanet
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: France
What about some sort of international petition for this screen issue?
In order to let Apple know this issue more "loudly"?

Honestly, I haven't seen any correct new IPad screen until now... Exchanging is not the solution (even more if Apple guys say DOA!). Apple should modify something in the production lines...

My 2 cents.
nicoplanet is offline   -5
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:10 AM   #18
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Either you must be extremely unlucky or I've been very lucky as my first purchase iPad has been fine. No discoloration on the screen, no back bleed and no dead pixels.

I guess you should have kept one of the two that were the wrong color iPad. How could you have gotten two the wrong color? Did like the box say white and inside was a black one? And this happened to you twice? If so you must really be unlucky as I would say the odds are pretty slim that happening twice in 13 purchases.
Nhwhazup is offline   2
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:18 AM   #19
seadragon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Wow.

That screen looks like absolute garbage. This is what I was seeing in person too. Seriously, these new screens are utterly terrible. How anyone can defend crap like this is beyond me. The apologists have their heads up their own...

Anyway, Apple has a quality control problem here. I sincerely hope they get this sorted out and start producing good and CONSISTENT screens.

But, I'd get rid of that one in the photo for sure. And I wouldn't care if it was number 13 or 113. Or you could do what I did and just give up on the new iPad for now and try again in a few months.

That's the amazing Retina display Apple advertises?

seadragon is offline   2
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:30 AM   #20
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
13 ipads is extreme and I am wondering why you did not inspect them in the store before leaving?

This problem could be easily mitigated if Apple would take a position on these exchanges/issues.

Since Apple continues to allow these echanges, and has remained silent on the issues, I must conclude that Apple agrees that these devices are defective.
ZipZap is offline   4
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:36 AM   #21
macjoshua
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3ga View Post
ummm, there are only 2 colors?
It wasn't two because of color, it was one to change color and one to add 4g. I fixed the original post.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
13 ipads is extreme and I am wondering why you did not inspect them in the store before leaving?

This problem could be easily mitigated if Apple would take a position on these exchanges/issues.

Since Apple continues to allow these echanges, and has remained silent on the issues, I must conclude that Apple agrees that these devices are defective.
I agree. It is extreme. There is one I wish I had just kept in hindsight. The glass wasn't fitting into the aluminum frame right at the bottom, but the screen was absolutely gorgeous. However, every time I went into the store, the Apple employee noticed what I was talking about immediately.
macjoshua is offline   -3
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:17 AM   #22
Abazigal
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
I am starting to wonder if this is apple's way of trolling you.

Want to exchange another IPad? Here's a faulty one. Oh, what's that? You want another one...?exchange some more...we have tons more faulty units where that came from...
Abazigal is offline   6
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:36 AM   #23
tanboom
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjoshua View Post
Ok, so I'm on my 13th iPad. In fairness, one of those was because I decided I wanted a different color, and another one i decided i wanted to upgrade to one with 4G. 3 were returned right away in the store (scratches, dark blotches behind the screen). A couple were super yellow, one had over a dozen dead pixels, and one even had the bottom half of the screen turn baby blue!

I just got a new one from the genius bar tonight. Pretty bad backlight bleed, and the weirdest thing: there's a darker 'stripe' through the middle of the screen. Has anyone else seen this on their iPad? (Not to mention the pinkish areas)

Image
That's ridiculous. New iPad has other problems which and when I put on MR for open discussion, people said I am a troll !!!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1347314
tanboom is offline   -8
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:44 AM   #24
macjoshua
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanboom View Post
That's ridiculous. New iPad has other problems which and when I put on MR for open discussion, people said I am a troll !!!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1347314
Your post was a bunch of reasons why you didn't think people should buy an iPad, or what you didn't like about it.

Mine is a photo of a real quality issue rather than random stuff I am unhappy about. If I could get one that has relatively even backlighting, tint, and no dead pixel issues, I would be super happy with the new iPad.

You're entitled to your opinion, but if you post derogatory stuff about Apple products on an Apple-based forum, you should expect to get some negative feedback.

...and if you noticed, my post has been down-voted quite a bit. So it's not like people are often kind in these forums.

Last edited by macjoshua; Apr 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
macjoshua is offline   -1
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:11 AM   #25
inaka
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I can't wait to see when you next test your car's MPG to the advertised claims....
inaka is offline   5

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: reasons to jailbreak iPad? carjakester Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 13 Jan 3, 2014 03:31 PM
Any good reasons to upgrade? NHProductions OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 3 Mar 27, 2013 04:55 PM
iPod Touch: What are good reasons to postpone upgrading to iOS 6? joyce89 iOS 6 9 Mar 27, 2013 05:14 AM
Reasons why upgrading to the 5 aren't worth the hassle (and reasons why I should). Big.Mac.Daddy iPhone 9 Sep 20, 2012 09:33 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC