Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:43 AM   #26
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dades View Post
Do you know what it's going to be called?

People have to call it something until it's announced. Who gives a crap - we all know the rumour relates to the next iPhone. 5, 6, HD, *new* whatever.
Yes. Based on the iPad release, it will be called the new iPhone. Did you miss that whole conversation? Lots of people care, just because it's not important to you doesn't mean it's not important.
Tilpots is online now   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:45 AM   #27
DrMotownMac
macrumors regular

Um.... LIQUIDMETAL?!?

Awesome. Simply awesome. I'm ready to buy it based on that word (or words?) alone!

And yes, before you down-vote me, I am a sucker for all things Apple.
DrMotownMac is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:48 AM   #28
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

I would love to see the new iPhone sooner than later but I believe October is the new release month unfortunately.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:49 AM   #29
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Really excited about the iPhone 5.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:49 AM   #30
chuges
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
In July I know what Android can offer to me, but I won't know what Apple will offer.

It all depends on what Apple is going to do with iOS 6, when they are announcing the next-gen iPhone and what they are going to do with the next-gen iPhone.

I'll go with the best device available, and for me that was normally a recently-announced iPhone with a new version of iOS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This year, the choice is more difficult. I have found that, in my opinion, for the first time ever Google has a really stable, and good, version of Android (Android 4.0). And the Android Market/Play Store is 'up to date' with the most popular apps.

If the choice is this:

- An iPhone 4S (2011) with iOS 5

versus

- A decent, just released Android phone with Android 4.0

Than I'll settle with the last one. I know iOS 5. And the iPhone 4S is not worth the upgrade over the iPhone 4 (and yes, I have actually tried a 4S).

you can't just use your iphone 4 until the next iphone is released and then make a decision then?

i thought phone contracts were designed to keep you loyal to the company for (~)2 years in exchange for a cheaper phone, so once the 2 years are up you're free to use your phone indefinitely at the same contract price. And you only have to renew a 2-year contract when you want a subsidized price on a new phone.

at least that's how i think it works with verizon...my dad had an upgrade sitting there for like 10 months before he renewed his contract
chuges is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:01 AM   #31
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Based on the source's unreliable track record, the preponderance of expectations pointing to a release later in the year, and a lack of corroborating claims regarding Apple's plans for Liquidmetal's alloys, we believe that this rumor is not particularly reliable. Consequently, we are posting this claim to our blog primarily for reader interest and discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire1 View Post
"We want page hits."
Of cause. It's always the case. At least MacRumors admit it this time.

And the smart man would bet on the new iPhone to be released this year. There will be no iPhone 5. Just like there is no iPad 3.
(For those those who don't get it, there is an iPad 3rd generation).
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:03 AM   #32
CaryMacGuy
macrumors 6502

Because of the fact we haven't heard anything about iOS 6, I am imagining that WWDC will be where iOS 6 is revealed with a launch date in the fall and along with iOS 6, the new iPhone will be launched at a media event in the fall like last year. Apple seems to like to give devs about 3 months with the new SDK before it goes gold and typically Apple releases a new model that coincides with a new iOS version. If we saw iOS in March, then yes new iPhone at WWDC but since we didn't, it is going to be like last year.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:12 AM   #33
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryMacGuy View Post
Apple seems to like to give devs about 3 months with the new SDK before it goes gold and typically Apple releases a new model that coincides with a new iOS version. If we saw iOS in March, then yes new iPhone at WWDC but since we didn't, it is going to be like last year.
Agreed. 'Analysts' don't seem to understand the software process.

Developers can't magically make new software in a couple days after an iOS version is released. Like you said, developers typically need a few months. Apple understands this, and releases the SDK, and then within 2-3 months, the new phone. Because what good is a new iOS when there is no software for it?

'Analysts' are just people paid to make stuff up without facts.
bbeagle is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:19 AM   #34
antonis
macrumors 6502a

Besides speculations about release (or not) date of a new iPhone, I'd expect to read in this thread what could mean a phone made from liquid metal. Are there any specific features that this material offers ?

Besides the generic uninformative "thinner" description of the article, anyone knows what this material can offer to a mobile device ? Now, that would be worthy to read.
antonis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:20 AM   #35
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
About time that Apple releases a serious product made of liquid metal instead of the sim removal tool.
On the other side this news is not credible, iPhone will not be released in June when Apple had a very good quarter after releasing it in October.

But I do hope something will be made of LM, hopefully the new MacbookPros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
Besides speculations about release (or not) date of a new iPhone, I'd expect to read in this thread what could mean a phone made from liquid metal. Are there any specific features that this material offers ?

Besides the generic uninformative "thinner" description of the article, anyone knows what this material can offer to a mobile device ? Now, that would be worthy to read.
Google is your friend.
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:21 AM   #36
dethmaShine
macrumors 68000

Thanks so much for not keeping the stupid glass back.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:29 AM   #37
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dades View Post
Do you know what it's going to be called?
It should be called the new iPhone imho. The numbering would have to stop sometime. How stupid an iPhone 11 would be...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:36 AM   #38
HimOffTheTelly
macrumors newbie

Pinch of salt taken.
HimOffTheTelly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:41 AM   #39
fredfnord
macrumors regular

News flash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmeright View Post
it would be amazing if apple announced the next iphone in june! I always loved the atmosphere surrounding the wwdc.

It's also sort of a dealbreaker, my telecom contract expires this summer and than i'll pick a new phone - and it won't be the 4s (i'm ready for a new design and new features which the 4s doesn't really offer compared to the 4 (siri does not work in my language)), so i'll go with the best device available than.

If apple announced and launched their iphone in june or july, than that would mean that they will at least keep me as a customer.
...dateline cupertino: One current iphone user who can't stand to wait a couple of months after his phone contract is up to buy another is going to buy a non-apple phone instead. The news has caused widespread panic among apple employees, and has sent apple (aapl) stock into a nose dive. More on this situation as it develops.
fredfnord is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:41 AM   #40
Torrijos
macrumors 6502

I find it doubtful that Apple would release its main product (and cash-cow) with a novel technology that hasn't being used yet for mass production.

The same way they are using the "old" iPad 2 to test a die reduction of the A5 (to see if the manufacturers manage proper yields), the first Liquid metal in a real technological product (the sim removal pin doesn't count) has to be something produced in lesser quantities, any mac would do.

I'll rather bet on LiquidMetal MacBooks (Pro / Air / whatever) or iMacs.

The Minis & Pros don't sell enough units to waren't a complete change of manufacturing process, and seen that CPUs and GPUs are trying to consume less power and generate less heat, their design are probably overkill for the next generation of chips (changes will be internal not external).
Torrijos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:44 AM   #41
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhysicist View Post
Faraday? Anyone?
iPhone 1? All 3G/4G iPads? Unibody HTC phones? It's possible to design a metal enclosure that still has some area that is RF transparent. Also, Apple seems to like to incorporate the case into the antenna structure (see iPhone 4/S), and liquidmetal allows for that too (it's currently used for some wifi antenna devices).

The hardest part to believe about this rumor is that Qualcomm could have 28nm LTE chip availability ready for apple quantities by June. On that alone (and my belief that Apple is going LTE on the next iPhone), I call this rumor bogus.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:04 PM   #42
CaryMacGuy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
'Analysts' are just people paid to make stuff up without facts.
I am now an analyst...
Apple will be revealing three new iPhone in all new sizes in about a month...The iPhone Baby Bear (3.2" screen) is described to be just too small. The iPhone Papa Bear (4.6" screen) is described to be too big and the iPhone Mama Bear (4" screen) is described to be just right.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:05 PM   #43
VenusianSky
macrumors 65816

Rise of the machines

Click image for larger version

Name:	metal.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	336305

EDIT: Ahhh, 1080p beat me to it. I don't know how I missed that.

Last edited by VenusianSky; Apr 18, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
VenusianSky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:06 PM   #44
CaryMacGuy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfnord View Post
...dateline cupertino: One current iphone user who can't stand to wait a couple of months after his phone contract is up to buy another is going to buy a non-apple phone instead. The news has caused widespread panic among apple employees, and has sent apple (aapl) stock into a nose dive. More on this situation as it develops.
Where are we without humor?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:11 PM   #45
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

I'd rather have a LiquidMetal Mac Pro......
Wild-Bill is online now   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:13 PM   #46
robpatrick
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Your new iPhone will never let you leave it at a bar.

robpatrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:18 PM   #47
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Assuming that the new iPhone will have iOS 6, then Apple needs to give developers time to beta test and develop for iOS 6. That implies a June iOS 6 announcement and a October new iPhone release. If there was going to be a June iPhone release, we would have already had an iOS 6 announcement and public beta.

Tony
Tones2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:19 PM   #48
apple4kim
Banned

I used to have a head liquidmetal tennis racquet. It's not liquid at all.
apple4kim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:23 PM   #49
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
In July I know what Android can offer to me, but I won't know what Apple will offer.

It all depends on what Apple is going to do with iOS 6, when they are announcing the next-gen iPhone and what they are going to do with the next-gen iPhone.

I'll go with the best device available, and for me that was normally a recently-announced iPhone with a new version of iOS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This year, the choice is more difficult. I have found that, in my opinion, for the first time ever Google has a really stable, and good, version of Android (Android 4.0). And the Android Market/Play Store is 'up to date' with the most popular apps.

If the choice is this:

- An iPhone 4S (2011) with iOS 5

versus

- A decent, just released Android phone with Android 4.0

Than I'll settle with the last one. I know iOS 5. And the iPhone 4S is not worth the upgrade over the iPhone 4 (and yes, I have actually tried a 4S).
i love how you get downvoted for sharing your opinion. pathetic lol and yep i agree with you, if the new iPhone doesnt convince me, ill go with the Galaxy S III or something like that. ive been using the iPhone since 2007, its time for something fresh in my case

---

maybe a announcement with a 4+ screen and iOS6 in june will give the devs enough time to adjust their apps for both old 3.5 iPhones and the new 4+ iPhone
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:33 PM   #50
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
The hardest part to believe about this rumor is that Qualcomm could have 28nm LTE chip availability ready for apple quantities by June. On that alone (and my belief that Apple is going LTE on the next iPhone), I call this rumor bogus.
I think Apple _has_ to go LTE with their next phone, now that they’ve introduced that tech into their product lineup. I’m with you on charting the availability of the smaller/more energy efficient LTE component as an indicator of the next iPhone release.

D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion