Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Can you make a phone call with one hand on the galaxy note. Can you use the note and scroll easily with with one hand.

Will Samsung update the Galaxy Note to ice cream sandwich before the Democratic and Republican National conventions?

Don't get me wrong. I like the Note. But there comes a time when a phone is just way too big for the masses.

My galaxy nexus feels too long and I found myself having to use two hands many times. With the Note it's almost a two hand operation.

It will appeal to some people. But it's not going to appeal to the masses because of its size.

mkruck

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Can you make a phone call with one hand on the galaxy note. Can you use the note and scroll easily with with one hand.

Will Samsung update the Galaxy Note to ice cream sandwich before the Democratic and Republican National conventions?

I keep seeing this come up as an issue or potential dealbreaker, and I just don't get it.

I ask with all sincerity (not trying to troll, flamebait or open up a can of worms): What's the obsession with being able to use a phone with one hand?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I have a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. I usually carry a 17" MBP with me. I like to take HD photos and videos. When I need to drop down notes, I just write it on a piece of paper. This is a convenience way but sometimes I lose the papers. I want to get a smart phone that I can use in major countries in the world. Not sure if I can use the Galaxy Note as a phone as the 4G is not widely available worldwide.

I found the size of the Galaxy Note a bit too large. However, I like to be able to write down notes and draw simple figures as if the device were a real notebook. So, if iPhone4S can do that, I probably go for it. Are there APPs that do the things I mentioned?

Alternatively, if the Galaxy Note is of size between 3.5 and 4" and it can be used worldwide as a phone, that might be a good option. How is data sharing between the Note and the Mac?

Last edited:

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I keep seeing this come up as an issue or potential dealbreaker, and I just don't get it.

I ask with all sincerity (not trying to troll, flamebait or open up a can of worms): What's the obsession with being able to use a phone with one hand?

I am a busy professional. If you are driving. Phone rings. It's an important call from one of my business partners. I gotta take the call and i hate the Bluetooth built in my car. I hate Bluetooth ear pieces as well

It's hard to pick up phone with one hand while driving. It's a legit complaint. I lived with the gnex for 3 plus months also. And that phone was barely manageable with one hand.

I like the Note. Not trolling. Just gets to the point where a phone is too big for the masses. Note has a niche market.

mkruck

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I am a busy professional. If you are driving. Phone rings. It's an important call from one of my business partners. I gotta take the call and i hate the Bluetooth built in my car. I hate Bluetooth ear pieces as well

It's hard to pick up phone with one hand while driving. It's a legit complaint. I lived with the gnex for 3 plus months also. And that phone was barely manageable with one hand.

I like the Note. Not trolling. Just gets to the point where a phone is too big for the masses. Note has a niche market.

Good points. It's just something I'd ever thought about, I have really large hands (think Sasquatch big) so it has never been an issue for me.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
However, I like to be able to write down notes and draw simple figures as if the device were a real notebook.

Yes, the iPhone has apps that allow you to do that.

However, I don't think you'll ever use a phone for that on any consistent basis, no matter which one you get. I thought I'd be writing hand notes a lot on my iPad too, so I bought one of those pens...and barely ever used it. It was so much more efficient to just type it, use dictation, or take a picture.

Need a reminder of something a few hours from now? Use Siri.

Need to copy down a drawing the boss made on the whiteboard during your meeting? Take a picture.

Making a grocery list? Use Siri, or open a task app like Clear and type it in.

Can't use Siri because it's a quiet environment? Typing is much faster than handwriting, and with the iPhone you can type with one hand while doing other things.

Do you really need the flexibility of a piece of paper for your detailed notes? Put the notes down on paper, then take a picture :)

Maybe if you gave a specific workflow you're thinking of, I'll chcange my recommendation, but it seems to me that drawing or taking hand written notes is simply less efficient, and will get old fast.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011

Well in your use case, a phone that requires you to use two hands to answer a call might just save a life or two eventually. After all, you might just hate not being able to steer enough to PULL OVER!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Two different devices marketed to two different types of people depending on their needs.

I don't know if this is a trolling attempt or just curious or looking to switch. But the main thing the two devices have in common is you can make phone calls on them.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

So you would rather run over nuns and school children and break the law while you're illegally using your hand to use your iphone while in the car?

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
So you would rather run over nuns and school children and break the law while you're illegally using your hand to use your iphone while in the car?

You're assuming he/she lives in an area where it's illegal.

You're assuming he/she lives in an area where there are nuns.

You're assuming he/she drives in an area where there are school children.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Where do you live? I thought most places had outlawed talking on the phone while driving without some sort of hands free option.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's so funny to watch people get on their high horse and preach about stuff.

Driving and talking on the phone is only as a 2nd offense. You have to be breaking the law already to get cited.

Speeding isn't. Why don't we bitch at the op because he probably speeds too!!

I've sped, littered, made a illegal lane change, drove with a tail light out. Which phone do you guys think is right for me?!?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You're assuming he isn't using speaker phone.

In that case, whats the problem? It's likely in a cradle, on your lap, or on the car seat. Tap answer, tap speakerphone, done. What am I missing?

(to avoid confusion, I agree the phone is just too big, so this isn't me fighting for the Note or anything, lol)

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
In that case, whats the problem? It's likely in a cradle, on your lap, or on the car seat. Tap answer, tap speakerphone, done. What am I missing?

(to avoid confusion, I agree the phone is just too big, so this isn't me fighting for the Note or anything, lol)

Don't ask me, I was mostly responding to the other post :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I think that's what he was implying. Speaker phone is perfectly legal.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's so funny to watch people get on their high horse and preach about stuff.

Driving and talking on the phone is only as a 2nd offense. You have to be breaking the law already to get cited.

Speeding isn't. Why don't we bitch at the op because he probably speeds too!!

I've sped, littered, made a illegal lane change, drove with a tail light out. Which phone do you guys think is right for me?!?

Sorry, but I wasn't preaching. It was a simple question. Most places have outlawed talking on the phone while driving. It was a simple question. I speed, roll through stops when nobody is around, and I occasionally talk on the phone as well when I drive. And I am happy to admit it. This guy seems to be talking about business calls. Rather than looking at it as a legal thing, we can look at it as a safety thing. Who hasn't seen a guy in a beamer that doesn't know WTF is going on around him because he has a phone plastered to his face taking a long call that just couldn't wait? Again, not high horse, just a simple question.

----------

I think that's what he was implying. Speaker phone is perfectly legal.

Yes, but he said the phone (the Note) was too hard to answer. In all of those scenarios, it seems incredibly easy to me, ESPECIALLY when on speakerphone.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Sorry, but I wasn't preaching. It was a simple question. Most places have outlawed talking on the phone while driving. It was a simple question. I speed, roll through stops when nobody is around, and I occasionally talk on the phone as well when I drive. And I am happy to admit it. This guy seems to be talking about business calls. Rather than looking at it as a legal thing, we can look at it as a safety thing. Who hasn't seen a guy in a beamer that doesn't know WTF is going on around him because he has a phone plastered to his face taking a long call that just couldn't wait? Again, not high horse, just a simple question.

----------

Yes, but he said the phone (the Note) was too hard to answer. In all of those scenarios, it seems incredibly easy to me, ESPECIALLY when on speakerphone.

It looks like only 10 States + DC have outlawed driving while holding the phone, unless this site is out of date.

http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/cellphone_laws.html

But now we're getting way off topic :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.