Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8er123

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
Hello all, this is kind of a stupid question and I don't know why I'm asking it but can a Quad g5 have a Quadro FX 4500 AND a nVidia GeForce 7800GTX 512MB at the same time? Thanks for looking at my pointless question.:)

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Hello all, this is kind of a stupid question and I don't know why I'm asking it but can a Quad g5 have a Quadro FX 4500 AND a nVidia GeForce 7800GTX 512MB at the same time? Thanks for looking at my pointless question.:)

Technically, yes you can. The problem is only one PCI-E slot is a "16 lane" slot. The others are "8 lane" and "4 lane." So while you can technically use them both, the Quadro won't be able to run at its full potential. In all reality, if you wanted to run a dual GPU setup, you may want to purchase a cheaper card for the 8x slot.

thorns

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
The biggest problem would be the extra power connector needed to get the second card running. I don't know if there is an adaptor to connect the proprietary connector to the DVD drive's power cable.

sk8er123

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
nVidia GeForce 7800GTX 512MB dell

thanks for both the post! I now understand. I have a question: is a way to flash a dell nVidia 7800gtx to run on a Quad g5? thnx:)

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
thanks for both the post! I now understand. I have a question: is a way to flash a dell nVidia 7800gtx to run on a Quad g5? thnx:)

My Quad has a flashed 7800GTX, so it's definitely doable. You just need to track down the ROM image and put the card into a PC and flash it. You can't flash it while it's in a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.