|Apr 18, 2012, 10:09 PM||#1|
Apple TV crops YouTube w/ app or AirPlay
Can anyone shed some light as to why YouTube videos are being cropped?
Manually set the Apple TV to 1080p 60 Hertz. It's a minor crop, but I'm perplexed as to why I can't find a way to stream the video at the native aspect ratio. Currently the video always fills the screen when I imagine it should display with a bar along the top and bottom to accommodate the video (as DVD or bluray do).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Kaliena; Apr 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
|Apr 19, 2012, 09:01 AM||#2|
Let's get few things clear though because some things you said doesn't add up.
If you have a widescreen HDTV (16x9 aspect ratio):
1) The reason most blu-ray movies show black bars on top and bottom is because the movies are shot with a wider aspect ratio than 16x9. It's called Anamorphic or scope and it can range anywhere between 2.00-2.75 wide.
2) Most DVDs have 16x9 aspect ratio so you shouldn't be getting any black bars. I haven't watched any newer DVDs for years since I upgraded to blu ray so I might be mistaken about the fact that DVDs do not come with scope aspect ratio. I want to say that's a blu ray thing but somebody will correct me if I am wrong.
3) Youtube videos usually either have 4x3 or 16x9 aspect ratio. I haven't seen many scope ones so it is normal to fill the HDTV screen or have black bars on the left and right. If you do notice a crop between a version on a computer and TV, change the TV's aspect ratio settings which I talked about above.
If you have an older 4x3 TV which I doubt:
1) You will have black bars with most DVD content and even bigger bars with blu ray content if shot in scope.
2) If it fills the screen with youtube videos then you are watching videos there are 4x3 aspect ratio.
I am also thinking that maybe you are comparing the youtube videos on an iPad which almost every time has black bars on top and bottom. Keep in mind that iPad has 4x3 aspect ratio, not 16x9.
Last edited by adam2000; Apr 19, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
|Apr 19, 2012, 10:54 AM||#4|
|Apr 19, 2012, 11:56 AM||#5|
|Aug 3, 2013, 03:42 PM||#6|
I can't get through this
|Aug 3, 2013, 08:26 PM||#7|
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Youtube App & Airplay||abta1||Apple TV and Home Theater||0||Mar 19, 2014 02:40 PM|
|iPad: Video app only streaming audio over airplay, everyone else airplay wise works great.||shenfrey||iPad||11||Feb 10, 2013 12:51 PM|
|Google Updates YouTube for iOS App, Adds iPad, AirPlay, iPhone 5 Support||MacRumors||MacRumors.com News Discussion||221||Dec 18, 2012 11:47 AM|
|Best Airplay Apple TV solution - do not install YouTube app||Ottoman1||iOS 6||0||Sep 21, 2012 10:14 AM|
|Youtube app can't airplay??||yalag||iPhone and iPod touch Apps||3||Sep 18, 2012 05:23 AM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.