Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:20 PM   #76
chambone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilized-egg View Post
If it does have what's in the rumors leaked so far, there's nothing really stand out in specs either.
It doesn't matter. The sheep will line up to buy it regardless. All that matters is that it's the latest model.
chambone is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:44 PM   #77
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Four pages of debate about an unreleased Android phone in an iPhone forum. Impressive.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:48 PM   #78
matttye
macrumors 601

Looks like a decent upgrade if the rumoured specs are even close to hitting the mark, but for me I think I'm mostly wanting new software features now rather than hardware. Galaxy s2 is extremely efficient already.

The rumoured "s cloud" (iCloud rival) may be what sways me to get one.

However having an iPhone to sync with my iPad would be great..it's just that the current gen iPhone isnt good enough for me. Want a bigger screen.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:02 PM   #79
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Fixed it for you.
Anything that's not a fact is an opinion, you don't need to explicitly state that something is an opinion. I think most people are intelligent enough to know..
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:29 PM   #80
DanteMann
Banned

DanteMann is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:50 AM   #81
Mr. Incredible
macrumors 6502a

On May 3rd, Meet The Next Galaxy

Want:
Samsung Galaxy Tab | Mac Mini

Mr. Incredible is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:28 AM   #82
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible View Post
If that advertisement image is supposed to be a spoiler, then the liquid metal rumour may be more attributable to Samsung than Apple :P
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:02 AM   #83
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Not interested because I don't like Android. I'm jelly of the hardware under the hood though, I wish they'd put that processor in a Windows Phone or the next iPhone.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:33 AM   #84
GKDAIR
macrumors regular

I had an android phone after my Iphone 3G and I had nothing but problems with it. The pros did not outweigh the cons one bit, I was so glad when I got my 4S I will never buy another android product because of that one phone, bleck.
GKDAIR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:39 AM   #85
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDAIR View Post
I had an android phone after my Iphone 3G and I had nothing but problems with it. The pros did not outweigh the cons one bit, I was so glad when I got my 4S I will never buy another android product because of that one phone, bleck.
I find different people's experiences with technology fascinating. My experience is the mirror opposite of yours - I found the iPhone was getting tired, was underwhelmed when I got the 4S, but have found that the Galaxy S2 has reignited my excitement about smart phones.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:40 AM   #86
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Which handset was it out of interest?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:41 AM   #87
GKDAIR
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Which handset was it out of interest?

It was an HTC Inspire 4G
GKDAIR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:45 AM   #88
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
It was an HTC Inspire 4G
Thanks. You must be but one example of why HTC had such a terrible year last year with some pretty sub-standard hardware.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:49 AM   #89
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Last edited by Spectrum Abuser; Dec 31, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Spectrum Abuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:07 AM   #90
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpnop View Post
I don't like plastic it feels cheap. Lumia, iPhone, HTC phones have much better build quality.
1) My iPhone 3G didn't feel cheap, yet the back was pure plastic.
2) The Lumia features an unibody polycarbonate (yes, that's plastic) design. It's the best example of how to use plastic to design a phone (and then ruin it with WP7).

If you replace the polycarbonate on the Lumia with Liquimetal, WP7 with a build of MeeGo that supports Android apps and throw in a retina display, you'd have the ultimate iPhone rival. Someone may send Nokia that memo.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:44 AM   #91
dccorona
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumunum View Post
How do you define poorly optimized? A lot of Android phones are laggy, if that's what you mean. But Samsung's latest stuff seems pretty smooth.

Yeah, updates suck. They seem worst in the U.S.

How does the build quality effect you? (I figure you're talking about materials, sturdiness, ect.) Do you not put cases on your phones? It's arguable that Samsung phones are built better than the iPhone. Kinda depends on what you're looking for.
I think there's a difference between build quality/durability and impact resistance. There's this concept out there that the iPhone has bad build quality/durability because if you drop it it cracks. But in terms of how solid it feels and the quality of materials used, its the best out there, and its certainly very durable because the glass/metal stands up to wear and tear better than plastic. It has poor impact resistance, but phones really aren't meant to be dropped...you're talking about close to $1000 worth of cutting edge technology here, it should be taken care of. Cases/cheap phones are out there for the clumsy.

And, having a samsung focus and an iPhone, as much as I adore the focus, its because of windows phone. Not the device. The device seems cheap, the plastic makes it feel like a toy, not a tool. That's what people mean about the build quality I think. When you spend that much money on a device (GS3 will likely be $300 with contract), you want it to feel premium, and even though the GS3 will be industry leading, it won't feel like that in your hand (if they keep the plastic designs of older phones, this is all conjecture), and thats a problem
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:08 PM   #92
littleebo356
macrumors member

i myself am very interested in the s3 , my 4s has been the worst iPhone i have ever had, (on my 4th one!) calls dropping out , bad static, crashing apps etc etc, i thought the call issues had to be the network but i was wrong, tried my sim in another phone , and no calls dropped out , no static, i will deffo be leaving the iPhone fan scene this year ,which is a shame as i used to love the iPhone.
littleebo356 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:10 PM   #93
TheSuperSteve
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Your thoughts on the Galaxy S III
Well... you asked, here are my thoughts:

Its just another Android phone to me. I am completely indifferent to it.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:19 PM   #94
Ke1ington
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly
2) The Lumia features an unibody polycarbonate (yes, that's plastic) design. It's the best example of how to use plastic to design a phone (and then ruin it with WP7).
I switched from the 4 to the Lumia and lasted three days. Let me tell you, the operating system was the best part about that phone. WP7 is awesome but after using a phone of glass and steel for the past two years I couldn't settle for plastic.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:21 PM   #95
langers2010
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
If that advertisement image is supposed to be a spoiler, then the liquid metal rumour may be more attributable to Samsung than Apple :P
Except apple own the rights to liquidmetal in consumer electronics!
langers2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:39 PM   #96
Stealthipad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke1ington View Post
I switched from the 4 to the Lumia and lasted three days. Let me tell you, the operating system was the best part about that phone. WP7 is awesome but after using a phone of glass and steel for the past two years I couldn't settle for plastic.
So the fact that the iPhone is made of glass and stainless steel overrides everything else
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:43 PM   #97
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by langers2010 View Post
Except apple own the rights to liquidmetal in consumer electronics!
According to the rumour they do..!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:30 PM   #98
onthecouchagain
Banned

Apparently there's a countdown from Samsung regarding the next Galaxy. The countdown ends tomorrow though, which is obviously no where near May 3rd.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/22/s...-with-anagram/

Should be interesting....
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:21 PM   #99
Lindenhurst
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchallis92 View Post
I don't know how samsung do it, but their android phones seem to operate so much more smoothly than all the others

the SGS2 is totally lag free
So is my Samsung galaxy note.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccorona View Post
I think there's a difference between build quality/durability and impact resistance. There's this concept out there that the iPhone has bad build quality/durability because if you drop it it cracks. But in terms of how solid it feels and the quality of materials used, its the best out there, and its certainly very durable because the glass/metal stands up to wear and tear better than plastic. It has poor impact resistance, but phones really aren't meant to be dropped...you're talking about close to $1000 worth of cutting edge technology here, it should be taken care of. Cases/cheap phones are out there for the clumsy.

And, having a samsung focus and an iPhone, as much as I adore the focus, its because of windows phone. Not the device. The device seems cheap, the plastic makes it feel like a toy, not a tool. That's what people mean about the build quality I think. When you spend that much money on a device (GS3 will likely be $300 with contract), you want it to feel premium, and even though the GS3 will be industry leading, it won't feel like that in your hand (if they keep the plastic designs of older phones, this is all conjecture), and thats a problem
The Focus was a cheap phone wasn't it?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
So the fact that the iPhone is made of glass and stainless steel overrides everything else

I guess for some it does. Most use a case anyway, so for me it is not as much of an issue. Sammy has made some inexpensive handsets and also makes some Higher end models which feel like premium handsets.
You usually get what you pay for. The Iphone is a $600 phone, so it should feel solid in the hand. Set it down a bit hard and that nice glass doesn't hold up though. Drop a plastic phone and it won't break as easy.
Many choices for different folks.
Lindenhurst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:21 PM   #100
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
The polished rocks in the ad are probably referring to the (rumored) fact that the S3 will have a ceramic back.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices