Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
How do you arrange Menu Bar items in the order that you please? I know that you can Command Drag and Drop them, but that only works with some menu items for some reason. Namely, the native Mac OS X items. Most other 3rd party icons in the menu bar can't be dragged and dropped. Is there any way to order them in a certain fashion short of closing the programs and reopening them in the right order... ?

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
I've only changed the order of a couple, but what I did was, as you suggested, close it on system preferences, and then open them again in order that you want from left to right.

::20ROGERSC::

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
In System Preferences, under Accounts, there is a Login Items tab. For your user account, move the programs that load in the menu bar into the correct order (right to left = top to bottom in the Login Items list). It will open those programs starting with the clock and move left toward the Apple logo. This is the best way to rearrange non-Apple software that I've found.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
matticus008 said:
In System Preferences, under Accounts, there is a Login Items tab. For your user account, move the programs that load in the menu bar into the correct order (right to left = top to bottom in the Login Items list). It will open those programs starting with the clock and move left toward the Apple logo. This is the best way to rearrange non-Apple software that I've found.

yep this is your best bet, the non-Apple ones are placed in order as you open them up so if they are start up they will open in that order, otherwise if you open it after start up they will always be on the leftmost side

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.