Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:36 AM   #1
karan1686
macrumors newbie

AirPlay from NAS

Hi, is there an app which will allow me to play m4v and possibly mkv from my NAS to the apple tv via an ipad/iphone?

i can currently do it with plex but the pc has to be on, and because its an ATV3 can not jailbreak yet for xbmc/firecore.

thanks
karan1686 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

Some NAS vendors (Synology for one) have developed their own iOS apps for playing media. Search the app store for your NAS vendor's name and you may find one.

Many NAS devices support DLNA, sometimes you have to go into the NAS setup and turn on the service and there may be specific folders that your content needs to be stored in to be served. There are several DLNA apps in the App Store, I have tried Media Connect, which is serviceable.

The file formats supported will vary from device to device and app to app. I can't think of any that support mkv, but I don't use that format, so I've never looked.

I personally have had the best luck with VLC Connect, but that requires a service running on a computer just as Plex does.
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #3
mawool01
macrumors newbie

Filebrowser

I have heard that Filebrowser do exactly what you are asking. I have not personally used it, but several other forums have mentioned it. It can be found in the app store for $4.99 i think. You might do a google search iphone/ipad NAS streaming... there are several that come up.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater