Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Let's say you're a writer in need of a cheap portable work machine. Your computing needs mainly include word processing and Wi-Fi web browsing (including the ability to switch between web research and writing without too much hassle). You're eternally strapped for cash but might be able to scrape a few hundred bucks together to make this happen. Do you go with:

1. A iPad2
2. An old, used G4 iBook or Powerbook
3. A new but cheap PC netbook
4. Other???

Thanks!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Netbook. More portable than a PB/iBook with a much better battery.

If you write a lot, you're going to want the physical keyboard over the iPad's touchscreen.

Did you intend this to be a poll?

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Netbook. More portable than a PB/iBook with a much better battery.

If you write a lot, you're going to want the physical keyboard over the iPad's touchscreen.

Did you intend this to be a poll?

No, I just thought I'd include the various options that were on my mind. The physical (if small) keyboard and price are both points in a netbook's favor. The fact that it'll come with Windows isn't. :)

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Let's say you're a writer in need of a cheap portable work machine. Your computing needs mainly include word processing and Wi-Fi web browsing (including the ability to switch between web research and writing without too much hassle). You're eternally strapped for cash but might be able to scrape a few hundred bucks together to make this happen. Do you go with:

1. A iPad2
4. Other???

Thanks!

If you're considering a $399 iPad2 + external keyboard, maybe you could swing a Macbook. You'll have better support for newer software. They're listed for $479 currently, but this site has had frequent sales for around $440.
Megamacs

A good site to keep an eye out for deals is dealmac.com. Search for "used macbook" so see what's been available recently.

Ebay is another option.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
No, I just thought I'd include the various options that were on my mind. The physical (if small) keyboard and price are both points in a netbook's favor. The fact that it'll come with Windows isn't. :)

You can get a full-size keyboard on 11.6" netbooks.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

1. A iPad2
4. Other???

Thanks!

Based on your criteria, I'd go with a netbook. Otherwise I'd say an iPad w/BT keyboard, but you want to be able to do research and write at the same time, and the iPad isn't the fastest or easiest thing to multi-task on.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I'd suggest trying out a couple of your options if you can to see which keyboard suits you best – after all, if you're using it for writing you're going to be using the keyboard a lot and it'll be important to have something that you're comfortable with.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Not the iPad. While they write, they aren't meant for writing.

If you are strapped for cash, then something with a warranty. Which means new or refurbished. A MacBook Air from the refurbished store is perhaps a bit out of your range, but would fill your needs exactly.

If you don't need to go with Apple, then a net book would be my suggestion.

Unless someone will give you an old iBook or Macbook for free, or for $50 or less. You could use that, but the cash you have away for a bit and perhaps add to the balance. It will just be a matter of time before the old iBook or MacBook will need replacing, but at least you've bought yourself some time.

Luck.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
If your strapped I would look for a decent 2008ish MB. The MB would serve your needs very well and they can be had for a fair price. I wouldn't recommend an iPad, while yes they can do word processing they are more a media consumption and presentation device, even with a keyboard I wouldn't really recommend it. Here is an example of one for $400 http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-MacBo...pt=Apple_Laptops&_pcategid=111422&_pcatid=529

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
LOL - I stopped into Fry's to check out a few netbooks, examine the keyboards, etc., but it must have been a slow day there because I was so piled-on by salespeople I ran out of there as fast as I could. Seriously, after the third guy in one minute asked me if if I had any questions, I was ready to yell "Have I ASKED any?" So much for that, I guess.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Out of the options you listed, I'd suggest an old PowerBook. If you can scrape together a little more, I'd suggest a used 11-inch MacBook Air. I'm working on my first novel and this is the machine I use the most to write (along with the Scrivener app). I've tried writing on my iPad but I'm just so much faster on a physical keyboard that I rarely try anymore these days.

Captain Cat

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
An interesting machine to get might be the 17" PowerBook. Fairly cheap, nice keyboard (backlit even), easy multitasking (screen). You'll be limited to Tiger/Leopard though (recommend Tiger for speed).

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
My first Mac was an old powerbook that a friend donated in exactly these circumstances. It was wonderful and I would recommend going that route. The iPad and Netbook are both niche machines that limit you in screen size or keyboard--really the two most important things for writing. An older MacBook sacrifices speed, but that really won't be a factor assuming you're just running the necessary writing software--word processor, bibliographic program, journalling program, todo list program, scrivener, etc.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I write for a living.

Option 2 is the only one I'd consider ... and even then, I'd have to grit my teeth. Old machines are invariably slow machines, and my time is money.

If you're swapping files online, you will quickly run up against software limitations with the G4 processor. Still, it's the best solution for someone with limited funds.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Used C2D MacBook Air, you'll be glad you did!L

+1... Except I don't think you'll be able to find a 2010 Macbook Air in your price range. However, doing a quick search in eBay I saw a few used white Macbooks pre unibody (2007 / 2008) that were going for about the same price of an iPad 2.

That model would be a good fit. I still have one, and my kids give it a daily beating (playing flash games online).. Hasn't failed once..

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
definitely not iPad (terrible keyboard for writing) and iOS is a pain to deal with it is more of an entertainment system than work system.

Old mac might not last long and is bulky. You may as well go with a PC netbook which is thin and cheap and packs more power than an old mac probably price matched.

os x is still over windows just but on the decline and probably sink under windows soon enough. I would go for the PC. I am about to convert back to PC after 8 years of mac.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
os x is still over windows just but on the decline and probably sink under windows soon enough. I would go for the PC. I am about to convert back to PC after 8 years of mac.

What a lively sense of humor you have! I wish there were a "Best of MacRumors" award - I'd nominate you!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Anything that can run Scrivener. It's available for Windows now, but it's a generation behind the Mac version.

I'd go with a used MBA (or a refurb, if your budget allows it). If you're strapped for cash, then get a used MacBook. Don't get a PowerBook––the PPC processor will limit what you can run.

urweirdmister

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles, Ca
iPad all the way

I use my new iPad for writing all the time. I use CloudOn to send documents to my laptop or iPhone over Dropbox and its great. I also use the on screen keyboard and it works fine, so i could imagine using a bluetooth keyboard would be great. The benefit of the ipad is you can use it literally anywhere and the battery lasts FOREVER. I know you could use a netbook anywhere, but personally they just feel weird to use.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I'm a professional legal writer and let me tell you, the iPad and the netbooks don't cut it. You're better off getting a slightly older refurb Wintel notebook or better yet Mac notebook, if you find one where the numbers line up for you. A post-2008 Air would be great if you can find it, due to battery life, especially if it's an SSD model.

I use an iMac, but non-writing considerations play into that, such as my recreational need to edit audio and video and serve media to the ATV3 in the living room. I could have a much older, weaker Mac and still have plenty of writing capability. So can you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.