Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook didn't visit Valve headquarters according to company co-founder Gabe Newell. The rumor, originally reported by AppleInsider, was squashed by Newell in a podcast interview.

valve_logo1.jpg
Video game website Kotaku had a preview of the podcast from Seven Day Cooldown that included this quote:
We actually, we all sent mail to each other, going, "Who's Tim Cook meeting with? Is he meeting with you? I'm not meeting with Tim Cook." So we're... it's one of those rumors that was stated so factually that we were actually confused.

No one here was meeting with Tim Cook or with anybody at Apple that day. I wish we were! We have a long list of things we'd love to see Apple do to support games and gaming better. But no, we didn't meet with Tim Cook. He seems like a smart guy, but I've never actually met him.
The report of the meeting between Cook and Valve executives set off a torrent of speculation about partnerships between the companies, including rumors of Valve's Steam service integrating with the App Store or an Apple television.

Article Link: Valve Co-Founder Says Tim Cook Didn't Visit Valve HQ

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Apple doesnt care about giving Mac consumers any choice with gaming. If they did, we'd have OpenGL 4, a choice of current graphics cards, and more than 3 graphics cards to chose from.

A headless iMac would be ideal, but Apple also has a big problem with that too...

...I think I see a trend here... Apple doesnt believe in choice. Or maybe the word is banned at the Apple campus... or maybe its not in their vocabulary?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
who cares

A lot of people, and a lot of people here especially. Tim Cook meeting with Valve could mean a more serious approach to gaming on the Mac. That's a huge issue that people have been wanting fixed for a long while now. This seemed like a step forward, but it apparently never happened. Good to know, I guess. No expectations.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
A lot of people, and a lot of people here especially. Tim Cook meeting with Valve could mean a more serious approach to gaming on the Mac. That's a huge issue that people have been wanting fixed for a long while now. This seemed like a step forward, but it apparently never happened. Good to know, I guess. No expectations.

I love you for this:D:D

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I actually think Tim Cook visited Valve, but he probably was disguised (as iPhone 3Gs). :p

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011

when is macrumors in the business of managing expectations. stupid unnecessary story

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
and why is this news? APPLE STOCK went down over 20 bucks today, that is news.

news/n(y)o͞oz/
Noun:
Newly received or noteworthy information, esp. about recent or important events.
A broadcast or published report of news.

Seems like both are classed as news. Odd.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Maybe this is one of those rumors where Apple is trying to find leaks? :p

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
It would be nice to see Apple put a little more focus on gaming. I'm not very satisfied with the selection of native mac games. But... yea I don't care if Tim Cook went to visit Valve...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously though, I was excited to think that maybe Tim Cook liked video games besides Jenga. Or that he was at least serious about getting better game support for the Mac.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Denying a rumor that gives you outsized attention and buzz is a gross error.

That said, Apple has embraced and abandoned gamers several times over the years. If only they were the Warren Buffet of gaming they would dominate. Add positions every year till the critical mass forces a DOJ anti-trust claim because you are THAT good.

Rocketman

The government hates the free market.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Ha! Told my friends there was no way that he met with Valve recently.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Denying a rumor that gives you outsized attention and buzz is a gross error.

I think it was carefully worded to put pressure on Apple:

"No one here was meeting with Tim Cook or with anybody at Apple that day. I wish we were! We have a long list of things we'd love to see Apple do to support games and gaming better."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.