Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
What is with apple's not including a delete key on mobile keyboards? Sometimes a delete key can be so much quicker and convenient than always clicking ahead of whatever you want to delete and mashing the backspace button. For example, you type a long URL into the address bar. You have to delete something towards the end. To do this you need to click and hold and drag to the very end of the text, then use backspace.

Why is apple so stubborn on such simple, traditional functionality?

iClive

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2012
UK
Totally agree!

It was the first thing that hit me when I ditched my windows laptop for a MacBook Air :confused:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
What is with apple's not including a delete key on mobile keyboards? Sometimes a delete key can be so much quicker and convenient than always clicking ahead of whatever you want to delete and mashing the backspace button. For example, you type a long URL into the address bar. You have to delete something towards the end. To do this you need to click and hold and drag to the very end of the text, then use backspace.

This is perhaps my biggest gripe about Apple products. I'm sure it's because I grew up using PCs. It really is a pain in the ass. Especially on the iPhone or iPad when you have to carefully pinpoint where you want to edit something.

----------

Ever try fn+backspace?

I don't have a Mac, does that actually delete the character to the right of the cursor?

Reactions: MobiusStrip

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Forward Delete key missing in iOS?

Again, it's noteworthy to see that this first post has been voted down. With such customers/users (here: forum contributors) it's no wonder that Apple can continue with its strange and unnessesary keyboard issues.

I think that the reason for that external keyboards for iOS devices are lacking the important Forward Delete key (for at least the time up to present) is that the iOS doesn't support it.

And if that is the case: What does this tell us about Apple ability and/or willingness to keeping up with customer's needs? Or: Is also this strange and user unfriendly aspect of the iOS just another example of that it is important - somehow not easy to understand - for Apple to demonstrate some kind of principle regarding this utterly pragmatic thing. Many customers DO need a Forward Delete key.

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
This is how apple decided to deal with the smaller keyboards on their notebooks, so the answer is yes.
I don't have a Mac, does that actually delete the character to the right of the cursor?

Is also this strange and user unfriendly aspect of the iOS just another example of that it is important - somehow not easy to understand - for Apple to demonstrate some kind of principle regarding this utterly pragmatic thing: That many customers DO need a Forward Delete key.
Did you ever think about the fact that it's simply a compromise made for a smaller keyboard? :rolleyes:
In full size apple keyboards, they have a forward delete key. However, in their mobile keyboards (notebooks, etc.) they use a modified setup.
You don't expect to see the full complement of keys on a notebook keyboard for a windows system, so why do you expect it for apple? The ones who are giving apple a break are people who've had experience with apple's products and the compromises they have to make.
Most people are able to understand that certain things have to be done to achieve portability and don't need this explained to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
A bad decision by Apple

This is how apple decided to deal with the smaller keyboards on their notebooks, so the answer is yes.

Did you ever think about the fact that it's simply a compromise made for a smaller keyboard? :rolleyes:
In full size apple keyboards, they have a forward delete key. However, in their mobile keyboards (notebooks, etc.) they use a modified setup.
You don't expect to see the full complement of keys on a notebook keyboard for a windows system, so why do you expect it for apple? The ones who are giving apple a break are people who've had experience with apple's products and the compromises they have to make.
Most people are able to understand that certain things have to be done to achieve portability and don't need this explained to them.

I think taking away such an important key is a bad decision by Apple, and I know of MANY Windows keyboards for really small laptops (even the now old very small Sony VAIO P - with 8 inches screen) OF COURSE has a Forward Delete key. The poster's reasoning regarding "not full size" and the "necessity" of a compromise do not make any sense at all: We have very many examples of keyboards of the size in question that of course have a Forward Delete key.

I think this is about Apple's mistaken/strange need to try and create their own identity as being or offering something different and "unique" and doing so by making sub-optimal products, now regarding only the keyboard layout. But: The "Apple knows what's best" attitude will not pay off in the long run when important and/or useful aspects/details of the device are not included.

It's really incredible that this lack of a Forward Delete key for small keyboards is a problem (for Apple) in 2012! Unfortunately, this is not user friendly at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chayim

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
If keyboard space is your concern, then put it on the number section of the keyboard. There's a free space near the apostrophe. Or, press and hold the keyboard icon (bottom-right) and in addition to split and unlock, give a forward delete option. There's got to be several ways to do it without compromising space.

This is just one of the stubborn-y things that apple does.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
How nice it would be if WE were allowed some customiszation and we could actually choose a few keys on the keyboard.

Opps, just dreaming. Apple and iOS is not about choices:(

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
You people mix up physical keyboard and touchscreen keyboard. The "del" button for the physical keyboard is "fn+Backspace". The "del" key does not exist on the touchscreen keyboards (which I do dislike too).

Reactions: LiveM

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

I can certainly understand compromises made for a smaller keyboard (in fact, I thought no macs had the forward delete key), but that really doesn't justify removing a fairly essential key. I'm pretty sure all non-Mac notebooks have a forward delete key. And on the iPad, what alternative is there for a forward delete key? And BTW, you might want to lose the condescending tone of your reply (i.e. "Most people are able to understand that certain things have to be done to achieve portability and don't need this explained to them")

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
You people mix up physical keyboard and touchscreen keyboard. The "del" button for the physical keyboard is "fn+Backspace". The "del" key does not exist on the touchscreen keyboards (which I do dislike too).

No, I am afraid you're wrong! The BT hardware keyboards that can be used together with iPad (or iPhone) HAS NOT the possibility of using "fn+Backspace" as a Forward Delete key, because the iOS DOES NOT SUPPORT that Forward Delete key!

Just try with Apple's own hardware keyboard with the iPad, and you will see that this basic functionality does not exist, and that fact is really incredible, and very user unfriendly. It must be Apple's stubbornness or total lack of taking into account the basic functionality of a keyboard. How can it be so?!

Last edited:

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Have never used a forward delete key. Don't ever remember one for any computer I have used. Doubt most people have either. Which is why it was something on a mobile device with a touch screen to be able to place the cursor where you want it, and select seemed like a good compromise to Apple.

However, if it is that important to you, send the feedback to Apple. If enough people want it, they will add it. Hopefully not on the first layer of keyboard, since for me it works for a mobile device. And after two years with an iPad am used to the keyboard.

For those wanting arrow keys, would a smaller space key with a left right arrow on either side work for a compromise? Again, Apple feedback is the way to go.

hybra

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
IMHO iOS system keyboard is incredibly bad designed. Hopefully there will be a way to customize layout, functionality, etc in iOS 6. Meanwhile I use a bluetooth keyboard to get every keystroke I need...including DEL.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
IMHO iOS system keyboard is incredibly bad designed. Hopefully there will be a way to customize layout, functionality, etc in iOS 6. Meanwhile I use a bluetooth keyboard to get every keystroke I need...including DEL.

How are you able to use Forward Delete with your BT keyboard with iOS system? Which keyboard do you use? And what software (text editor) do you use when you are able to use Forward Del, and what combination of keys do you use?

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
ok, everyone knows the Forward delete key's primary usage on a windows machine is to fix crashes. Ctrl-Alt-Delete

As for my mac, a forward delete wouldn't be a bad addition, but i honestly don't mind the keyboard as is.
The iOS devices though, i find it a lot quicker to just put the cursor where I want. Or just delete more. On my older windows computers, half the time i never used the delete key, it was always kinda outta the way from where my fingers were.

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.