Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
q64ceo
macrumors regular

Help bring GTA V natively to OS X

I love the GTA series.

GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas have been brought to OS X via Cider. They are not native binaries so there are many issues with them.

Click here http://support.rockstargames.com/anonymous_requests/new , select GTA V and make your voice heard.

If GTA V came to the Mac natively, this may influence other gaming companies to do the same (since GTA is extremely successful they will see how they are missing out on good business)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:02 PM   #2
GrayApple
macrumors member

If you really want to show support, refuse to buy the game on any other system or for mac if it's a cider port. Companies rarely listen to petitions, but they will listen to sales numbers.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Wardenski
macrumors 6502

I gave up waiting for native ports many moons ago. Just do yourself a favour and use bootcamp instead.
Wardenski is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayApple View Post
If you really want to show support, refuse to buy the game on any other system or for mac if it's a cider port. Companies rarely listen to petitions, but they will listen to sales numbers.
Exactly what I've done. I refuse to buy any game that doesn't have a native OSX client. It has done a lot for me to give me more free time and money. Well the reality is I didn't have any time to play anyway, so this is just my excuse.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:22 PM   #5
masterofbuckets
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by q64ceo View Post
GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas have been brought to OS X via Cider. They are not native binaries so there are many issues with them.
What issues ?
masterofbuckets is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Frozzie
macrumors regular

Get real. Even if they make native game for OS X it is not going to run on any of machines available today even at lowest settings.
Frozzie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

There aren't enough Mac users that play the series to make it worth the money. Cider port is quick, easy, and works for the most part.
Hastings101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:45 AM   #8
dr Dunkel
macrumors regular

It will release on OSX... three years after the Windows release. As always.

I don't know if I want GTA V to be released on Mac right away, the hardware available would make the game lame (or in a best case scenario - just limiting the OSX version). Therefore, it would be better to release it in a few years when the Macs can handle it.
iPod Classic
dr Dunkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Jozone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr Dunkel View Post
..And will still be unpolished on the Mac -- GTA Vice City which is now what.. 10 years old? Has controller config issues on the Mac.

As far as new game releases, I've given up and bought an Xbox.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:30 AM   #10
Albright
macrumors regular

Really? People are boycotting Cider ports?

I picked up GTA:SA for the Mac, and I found it to be more Mac-like than most Mac ports I've played. I can switch out of the app as expected using Command-Tab (though I suppose it would be nice if the game would pause automatically when I did that), and Command-Q quits out nearly instantly. And the frame rate is generally very smooth, even with bumped-up graphical settings, on the internal graphics card of this old worn-out MacBook.

Controller issues? It didn't like my Xbox controller, but very few games have - I've given up on that. It works wonderfully with my PS2-like Logitech controller, though.

I'm all for seeing more Cider games on the Mac; I think it can, and in the case of the GTA games, already has created some great opportunities to get some games on our platform we'd otherwise never see. You're gonna miss out on some fun if you boycott all games that use it, I think.

That being said, not really liking the direction the game series was taken in with GTA IV (Niko! Eet es your kaah-zin!), I'm not really looking forward to GTA V much.
Albright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 05:23 AM   #11
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
Really? People are boycotting Cider ports?
I'd never buy a Cider ported game. But if a game wasn't Steamplay enabled and was a proper port, I'd buy it. I paid a lot of money for my Mac so I want the best performance.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:34 PM   #12
masterofbuckets
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
I'd never buy a Cider ported game. But if a game wasn't Steamplay enabled and was a proper port, I'd buy it. I paid a lot of money for my Mac so I want the best performance.
Even native ports have performance problems and other issues. If you want the best performance, make sure to have a 'proper' Mac that has capable hardware which can play the game at the settings you want to play.
masterofbuckets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 04:59 AM   #13
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofbuckets View Post
Even native ports have performance problems and other issues. If you want the best performance, make sure to have a 'proper' Mac that has capable hardware which can play the game at the settings you want to play.
I just go straight for Bootcamp. I'm not fussy which system I use to play games, if performance in OSX overtakes Windows I'll move there .
Old May 4, 2012, 10:13 PM   #14
masterofbuckets
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
I just go straight for Bootcamp. I'm not fussy which system I use to play games, if performance in OSX overtakes Windows I'll move there .
Its usually rare for a game to perform better in OS X on the same hardware compared to Windows. It hinges highly on the drivers and how well the developers can make a Windows game work well ( if its a port ) considering the constraints of the system/Apple.

Having a game which is SteamPlay enabled is awesome since you get both versions of the game and you can easily test the performance difference.
masterofbuckets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Brunchies
macrumors newbie

What are the expected system requirements for this, I know this will be a guessing game but I'm curious. Is it going to be similar to Battlefield 3 or will it be a lot more demanding.
Brunchies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 12:49 AM   #16
Albright
macrumors regular

I doubt it will be as demanding as Battlefield 3. I have the 360 version and, while it's not ugly, it's nothing special in the graphical department either.
Albright is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 02:34 AM   #17
Ruahrc
macrumors 65816

That's because you're playing it on the 360. The PC version of BF3 is significantly better looking.

GTA5 is never going to be Mac native. Heck its not even going to be PC native.

"Serious" gaming on the mac is just too small a market and 90% of all macs are pretty ill-equipped for high end gaming anyways. Even the highest end Mac Pro lags way behind PCs because they dont get the latest graphics cards as quickly as the PC side does. Just use bootcamp and get over your fear/irrational dislike of windows. You'll probably be surprised at how good Win7 is. I'd even go as far to say that it may have even less annoyances as an OS than iLion has. It's solid, straightforward, no muss, no fuss. Perfect for a gaming-only partition.
Ruahrc is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 02:40 AM   #18
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr Dunkel View Post

I don't know if I want GTA V to be released on Mac right away, the hardware available would make the game lame (or in a best case scenario - just limiting the OSX version). Therefore, it would be better to release it in a few years when the Macs can handle it.
Nah I'd say it'd run pretty well on the higher-end iMacs and higher-end MBP's. They can't make the game too demanding or it wont run on PS3 + Xbox360.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:55 AM   #19
locust76
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjy91 View Post
Nah I'd say it'd run pretty well on the higher-end iMacs and higher-end MBP's. They can't make the game too demanding or it wont run on PS3 + Xbox360.
The PC version of GTA IV is capable of far better visuals than the console version. In fact, GTA IV on its highest settings is still enough to cripple a high-end PC. Hardware performance is still a major bottleneck in Mac gaming.
locust76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 06:48 AM   #20
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by locust76 View Post
The PC version of GTA IV is capable of far better visuals than the console version. In fact, GTA IV on its highest settings is still enough to cripple a high-end PC. Hardware performance is still a major bottleneck in Mac gaming.
The issue with GTA IV PC version is it's too processor dependent, it barely uses the video card at all.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:05 AM   #21
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayApple View Post
(I know this is an old post, but...) the problem with this, is developers/publishers will just see the Mac (cider port) sales being really low, and think the Mac isn't worth supporting. That, IMO, is why it's a good idea to make your voice heard as well, in forums, blogs, petitions.. any way you can.

It might actually be a GOOD thing to buy the cider port. If it sold enough, the developers would realise the Mac market is worthwhile and devote more resources - i.e. better ports - to it.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:57 AM   #22
Wardenski
macrumors 6502

Quite frankly, buying cider ports just makes it worse, your encouraging the development of inferior products. If people buy inferior ports then why spend so much effort to make a native port?

I refuse to buy another port for OSX, its simply not an industry that deserves my money because:
(a) poor performance
(b) late
(c) woeful support (maybe only a few patches)
(d) woeful Mod support
(e) expensive (by the time Mac version is realesed, PC version on sale)
(f) woeful support in OSX (not easy to get surround sound etc)

Only native ports like SCII are worth consideration but even still, they work much better in Windows - better drivers, better tools (Direct X).

Once my PhD is over, I suspect I will keep my Mac in Windows for gaming.
Wardenski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 07:20 PM   #23
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

I don't think this will happen, most Mac systems are equipped with underpowered graphics cards, GTA IV is actually pretty demanding in terms of graphics card and even cpu processing, and I don't expect GTA V will be any different..

Whats more is, generally with Mac ports you see a loss in performance compared to running the game in Bootcamp, and so to run games on Mac OS I think you'd need an even faster graphics card to make up for the lost performance..

So It'll probably be better to just by the PC version, however If they release a native Mac version that would still be awesome.. But I just don't see it happening especially if the game will be unable to run on most Mac systems..
Yamcha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 12:21 AM   #24
davidg4781
macrumors 65816

Not to highjack a thread and all, but this just got me thinking.

I'm thinking of buying the games from the MAS. Are they pretty decent ports of the game? Are they native? Will I enjoy them?

I had bought them when I was younger but I was busy with college at the time and my brother played them a lot more than I did.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:20 AM   #25
NZed
macrumors 65816

GTA IV needs at least a quad core doesnt it?

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games