Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
milbournosphere
macrumors 6502a

iTunes Problem - No option for remotes or remote speakers

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll try here. After updating iTunes to v10.6.1, I have lost my ability to use remotes (via remote app on my iPad and iPhone) and remote speakers (an aTV on 4.2.2). I've turned on Home Sharing, and tried to enable iTunes to look for remotes, but to no avail. In fact, the option isn't even there in the preferences->devices window; I've attached a screenshot where it should be (at least from my understanding). You can also see that the usual menu for speakers in the lower right corner is nowhere to be found.

I have tried restarting itunes, restarting the mac, trashing the iTunes preferences and reinstalling iTunes. Nothing has solved the issue. Has anybody else had this problem? Remote control and the ability to play my music throughout my home are my favorite features of iTunes, so this is somewhat upsetting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 8.48.17 AM.png
Views:	54
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	336584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-20 at 8.52.29 AM.png
Views:	44
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	336585  
milbournosphere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:40 PM   #2
LaWally
macrumors 6502a

I've had this problem a couple of times.

Shutting down my iMac for the night and powering it up the next morning has always cleared the problem for me. Recycling iTunes has never worked for me.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Last edited by LaWally; Apr 20, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
LaWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:06 PM   #3
TheSuperSteve
macrumors 6502

Have you tried using your iOS devices' Remote app and manually adding your iTunes library? Have you done anything new to your WiFi network recently? Maybe its blocking the needed ports (which I don't know at the moment).

Maybe try creating a new user account and see if it works there? If it does, then it may be an issue with an app maybe interfering with iTunes in some way or another. If it doesn't work on the new user account, then maybe its a problem with your network.

Sorry I can't help much, I hope you can resolve this.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:04 AM   #4
milbournosphere
macrumors 6502a

Thought I'd update this thread for anybody else having the issue. My networking issues got worse, until I couldn't even SSH into the machine remotely. Then I noticed that my roommate was also having networking issues. A hard restart of the router and walaa! airplay and such are working again. Still not sure what happened; I guess the router got into a funk.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Silverbird0000
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Silverbird0000
Quote:
Originally Posted by milbournosphere View Post
Thought I'd update this thread for anybody else having the issue. My networking issues got worse, until I couldn't even SSH into the machine remotely. Then I noticed that my roommate was also having networking issues. A hard restart of the router and walaa! airplay and such are working again. Still not sure what happened; I guess the router got into a funk.
Whenever I have these kinds of issues, I restart the router and all is good again.
Silverbird0000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod