Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:16 AM   #1
mlrproducts
macrumors 6502

Wood iPod! - must see!

Check this out!
mlrproducts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:18 AM   #2
iGary

Pretty neat, but it'll crack under normal use.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Mitthrawnuruodo

Nice work, but not something I would want...

And why didn't he replace the back cover, which actually needs replacement...?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 01:35 PM   #4
grapes911

Repost:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=136121

Edit: Actually, it looks like you were first. Ah, can't mess with MacBytes though
Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:35 PM   #5
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo
Nice work, but not something I would want...

And why didn't he replace the back cover, which actually needs replacement...?

Why does the back cover need replacement? The back cover is metal for a purpose. It's there to help cool the iPod. Without it there is a strong possibility the iPod would over heat.
MacBandit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:46 PM   #6
Stampyhead
macrumors 68020

I don't understand how the click wheel works when it's a solid chunk of wood instead of the plastic disk with sensors underneath. I didn't read the whole article, though, so maybe he explained it...
Stampyhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 02:57 PM   #7
dobbin
macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how the click wheel will work if its covered by a piece of wood. Surely your finger needs to touch the sensor directly? Mine doesn't even work if I'm wearing gloves.
dobbin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 03:03 PM   #8
Dagless
macrumors Core

thats given me an idea. as soon as i get the money ive been oh-so longly owned im going to get cracking on a wooden iPod Mini (just incase i do something severly wrong at least i can still buy a new one, 8Gb perhaps). i was going to do this years ago to my minidisc player but i was only about 16 at the time.

yup!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 03:34 PM   #9
biohazard6969
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to biohazard6969 Send a message via MSN to biohazard6969 Send a message via Yahoo to biohazard6969 Send a message via Skype™ to biohazard6969
wow i wood love to own one of these
Old Jul 5, 2005, 04:51 PM   #10
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbin
I don't understand how the click wheel will work if its covered by a piece of wood. Surely your finger needs to touch the sensor directly? Mine doesn't even work if I'm wearing gloves.

The touch sensors are electro-static and do not require direct contact, though it does have to be very close to the surface. This is evident by the large number of iPod scroll wheel covers and iPod cases that cover the scroll wheel but still let you use it.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 04:59 PM   #11
jared_kipe
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to jared_kipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbin
At first I just assumed it would for the buttons, but you have a point, how do you change volume and scroll through songs? Upon inspection of my photo, I can say that it works with anything that is stiff and relatively thin, paper, plastic, and cloth. So I guess if the wood is thin enough, it would work.

I orriginally thought it was stupid and ugly, but it's grown on me. I think he went overboard with the gloss though.
jared_kipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 05:25 PM   #12
SpaceMagic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard_6969
wow i wood love to own one of these
I'll choose to ignore that comment
SpaceMagic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 05:57 PM   #13
dmw007
macrumors 603

Wood iPod- pretty cool, but i'll just stick to my plain ol' iPod mini.
dmw007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 08:08 PM   #14
mac-er
macrumors 65816

The varnish will wear off as you use the scroll wheel.
mac-er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 09:07 PM   #15
barneygumble
macrumors 6502a

I just hope his battery never dies, cos that covers going to come apart when he tries to replace it.

Don't worry, Be happy - Bobby McFerrin
barneygumble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 09:14 PM   #16
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble
I just hope his battery never dies, cos that covers going to come apart when he tries to replace it.
I hope he was smart and got a new battery before doing it and installed the new one so he'd actually HAVE a battery. I mean, since he already voided the warranty...
dotdotdot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:06 AM   #17
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit
Why does the back cover need replacement? The back cover is metal for a purpose. It's there to help cool the iPod. Without it there is a strong possibility the iPod would over heat.
Well, all the ones I've seen are all so full of scratches. If you don't keep it in some sort of protective sleeve it looks like ****** after a very short time of use...

The mini's are much better in that respect, and the only mark in mine after a year and a half's use is a minor scratch in the screen from a time I accidentally put my mini and keys in the same pocket...
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:21 AM   #18
_bnkr612
macrumors 6502a

That is so ugly.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:29 AM   #19
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
Well, all the ones I've seen are all so full of scratches. If you don't keep it in some sort of protective sleeve it looks like ****** after a very short time of use...

The mini's are much better in that respect, and the only mark in mine after a year and a half's use is a minor scratch in the screen from a time I accidentally put my mini and keys in the same pocket...
I gave up a long long time ago trying to keep the back from getting scratched. I now find it's just part of it's personality and character. I love it more now that it looks used. My screen on the other hand is scratch free but I haven't done anything with it but put it in a cover when I'm not using it. I find cases just add too much bulk so I don't use them most of the time. Also I never have a reason to look at the back since that's not the side you use any way.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:23 PM   #20
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Quote:

That wasn't the most sensible thing to do. I did do that once or twice with my phone and keys and quickly learnt not to do with anything again. In saying that though, I have a shallow but annoying scratch on my iPod screen at the moment. Any suggestions what to use to get rid of it?
steve_hill4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:30 PM   #21
bankshot
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit
The touch sensors are electro-static and do not require direct contact, though it does have to be very close to the surface. This is evident by the large number of iPod scroll wheel covers and iPod cases that cover the scroll wheel but still let you use it.
Right. I saw this explanation on Slashdot:

Quote:
QWheel(TM) touch wheel technology can be thought of as a 'capacitive potentiometer', where the wiper is a finger. The electrode consists of a simple resistive ring element placed behind the plastic panel; three capacitive QT sensing channels are connected to this ring, and the signals processed to 7-bits of absolute position. The result is output on an SPI serial interface. The device can be set to sense through panels up to 3mm thick, and even through gloves.

The entire circuit with the electrode ring can be fabricated on a single-sided PCB for very low cost. In many cases the technology is less expensive than mechanical equivalents, and in all cases is more reliable.
Apparently this info came from http://www.qprox.com
bankshot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:35 PM   #22
bankshot
macrumors 65816

There was another interesting post on this subject on Slashdot.

http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.p...5&cid=12983596
Quote:
Steve Jobs has a 10 x 10 iPod wallhanging in the hall by his office, there are about 25 made with various woods. (Hi gloss maple looks ..killer.. with white buttons.) This one would seemingly fit in but looks to be executed to lower quality than those in the display.

My absolutely favorite were five iPods in a row done by Dale Chihuly in his Macchia glass patterns. Insane !! priceless is more like it.
A lot of replies called BS, as there was no info to back it up. But wouldn't it be cool if it were true? How can we get a secret operative into the hall outside Steve's office to get us a picture?
bankshot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 04:16 PM   #23
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

I'd get one if it had bluetooth.

Next thing - the wooden Shuffle. An mp3 playing tooth pick, yay!
Old Jul 6, 2005, 04:25 PM   #24
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hill4
That wasn't the most sensible thing to do. I did do that once or twice with my phone and keys and quickly learnt not to do with anything again. In saying that though, I have a shallow but annoying scratch on my iPod screen at the moment. Any suggestions what to use to get rid of it?
I know...

I've only done it that one time, though.

And the worst thing is that I have one of those magnetic keys on my keychain which does not play well with rechargeable batteries. (I actually had two AAA batteries for my camera and the keychain in the same pocket in my jeans and one of the batteries became hot enough to leave a mark on my thigh).

So my keys and the mini are not meant to be in the same pocket at all...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod