Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Timzer
Banned

What good is a droolworthy design if you gotta slap a case on it.

Why do people go on about how droolworthy their phone looks and then immediately slap on a big 'ol case on it. Honestly. Why do people even care how a phone looks anymore? Majority of people have bumpers, barely there cases, or full armor cases on their phones. Even a bumper completely takes away from the design of a phone. If you think it doesn't, then how would you like the iphone to have that bumper as a permanent fixture? Why design a phone that will shatter with one accidental drop? Why design a phone that just screams for a case. Bottom Line: ITS A MOBILE DEVICE!!! Don't design a phone thinking it will never be dropped. You have drop tests for a reason. Can you imagine if cars were designed in a way where the designers were so full of themselves, that they felt the buyer who got into a fender bender was some idiot who didn't take proper care when using their car? Apple get off your high horse, and produce an iPhone that will pass a drop test. The competition has already passed you in performance, and now they have caught up in design and ability to pass drop tests without shattering their screens.
Timzer is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Not everyone uses a case. In fact, I see a lot of people going without. Just saying...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Timzer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Not everyone uses a case. In fact, I see a lot of people going without. Just saying...
Hence the words "majority of people." just sayin.
Timzer is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:40 AM   #4
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timzer View Post
Hence the words "majority of people." just sayin.
Well, those that throw a huge case on the phone obviously didn't buy the phone for the droolworthy design. Seems pretty simple to me man.

If I am not mistaken, the argument here is "most people throw a case on their phone therefor the design of the phone doesn't matter", yes? I think that's a flawed statement, personally. Those that don't use a case likely do care. The majority of people don;t care about the stocks app either. Those that do I am sure are happy it's there.

By the way, I would disagree that a phone needs a case on it. I think a lot of people are either clumsy, paranoid, or both. I fall into the paranoid category. I have never dropped my iPhone, and I use a case on it at all times.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
Sketchr
macrumors Demi-God

I use a black iPhone bumper on mine, but no case. The bumper at least reduces chance of the camera lens getting scratched. But I agree, slapping a big ugly case on iPhone or any other detracts from the workmanship. The phone are marketed for beauty, show the phone being utilized without a case and it never featured with one on. Yet, when you purchase one they push hard for cases during the sale. Yes, I realize reps get commission and that is their motive for that and screen protecters, etc. But still, customers buy into it and the case gets slapped on. What a crime.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:46 AM   #6
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

i have never dropped my phone, ever, i'm just careful.
charlieegan3 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:47 AM   #7
dccorona
macrumors 68020

you don't have to. i've been just fine with EVERY iPhone (and a couple windows phones as well) and never broken one (I've had some manufacturing defects, but that's it). You don't need a case

If you're the kind of person who drops your phone a lot and doesn't take good care of it, then you don't get to enjoy nice design. It's unfortunate but there's not really any other solution other than buying one of those tank phones, which never have nice designs.

The glass back may be more prone to cracks than most, but its also less prone to scratches. The iPhone is actually more durable than most. Phones aren't meant to be dropped.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8
RolandNights
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why do people go on about how droolworthy their phone looks and then immediately slap on a big 'ol case on it. Honestly. Why do people even care how a phone looks anymore? Majority of people have bumpers, barely there cases, or full armor cases on their phones. Even a bumper completely takes away from the design of a phone. If you think it doesn't, then how would you like the iphone to have that bumper as a permanent fixture? Why design a phone that will shatter with one accidental drop? Why design a phone that just screams for a case. Bottom Line: ITS A MOBILE DEVICE!!! Don't design a phone thinking it will never be dropped. You have drop tests for a reason. Can you imagine if cars were designed in a way where the designers were so full of themselves, that they felt the buyer who got into a fender bender was some idiot who didn't take proper care when using their car? Apple get off your high horse, and produce an iPhone that will pass a drop test. The competition has already passed you in performance, and now they have caught up in design and ability to pass drop tests without shattering their screens.
/topic closed
RolandNights is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:52 AM   #9
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandNights View Post
/topic closed
Why?

People care about the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, and the look of many other things. Why is it so strange to care how a phone looks?

Last edited by lordofthereef; Apr 21, 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Embarassing typo... :/
lordofthereef is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:54 AM   #10
DanBurns91
macrumors regular

Personally i don't care if people use a case or not, I for one, buy the iPhone for design and functionality and don't see the point of casing it to retain a scratch less phone for whoever you sell it onto in the future. However, I'm sure people that use cases have a valid argument also.
DanBurns91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:01 PM   #11
RolandNights
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why?

People care about the close they wear, the cars they drive, and the look of many other things. Why is it so strange to care how a phone looks.
Well he answered his own question with the second question. Drop protection or not, you mentioned earlier....

Quote:
Well, those that throw a huge case on the phone obviously didn't buy the phone for the droolworthy design. Seems pretty simple to me man.
RolandNights is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:24 PM   #12
DanteMann
Banned

The people that say I don't use a case because I'm careful are the same TYPE of people that used to say, "I don't wear a seatbelt because I'm careful, I've never been in an accident." or "I don't wear a helmet, because I'm careful, I've never been in an accident." To them I say, who gives a shlt.
People wear seat belts and helmets, not because their bad drivers or riders, but because they know accidents happen. It's not being paranoid, it's being safe and protecting yourself. Accidents happen, and no matter how careful you are with your phone, it can get dropped in some way. Thinking otherwise is just plain ignorant. Now that being said, if you don't use a case, and at the same time know and admit that you can still have an accident (your fault or not) where a case would help, but just don't give a shlt, then kudos to you, cuz you sir/madam are a rebel.
DanteMann is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:25 PM   #13
rgarjr
macrumors 603

A lot of people use cases to change the appearance of their phone. It's not about protection but also altering aesthetics.
rgarjr is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:35 PM   #14
naths
macrumors 6502

cause if you don't put a case on and drop it, it breaks!!!....
naths is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:52 PM   #15
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMann View Post
The people that say I don't use a case because I'm careful are the same TYPE of people that used to say, "I don't wear a seatbelt because I'm careful, I've never been in an accident." or "I don't wear a helmet, because I'm careful, I've never been in an accident." To them I say, who gives a shlt.
People wear seat belts and helmets, not because their bad drivers or riders, but because they know accidents happen. It's not being paranoid, it's being safe and protecting yourself. Accidents happen, and no matter how careful you are with your phone, it can get dropped in some way. Thinking otherwise is just plain ignorant. Now that being said, if you don't use a case, and at the same time know and admit that you can still have an accident (your fault or not) where a case would help, but just don't give a shlt, then kudos to you, cuz you sir/madam are a rebel.
There is a pretty big difference here. I don't think I am in too much danger of losing my life if I shatter my phone. Worst case scenario I get it replaced for $200.

This is just a guess, but I think more people break their phone because of their own clumsiness than because someone else ran into them and caused the phone to go flying.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:21 PM   #16
Hayduke60
macrumors regular

I've had my iPhone 4 for less than a year and have had 3 cases wrapped around it. Two lived tragic lives. They were burnt, cut and deeply scratched. They got to the point that duct tape wouldn't fix them. This last one seems to be holding up well though. It has the port covers I need to keep the metal chips and grinding dust out. It also can take a welding spark or two without flinching. My phone lives in my pocket, it takes a beating sometimes. But at the end of the day, I can take the case off to clean the metal out of it and my phone looks brand new. Much cheaper to replace a few cases than a new phone, no?
Hayduke60 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

I find it funny people worry that other people put a case on their phone. In my line of work, I need a case.
To the people who say they are careful and the don't ever drop their phone, accidents happen. This is why they are called accidents.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:27 PM   #18
jackc
macrumors 65816

I think it's a valid point.

Do other phones pass the drop test?
jackc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Six8
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

If I am not mistaken, the argument here is "most people throw a case on their phone therefor the design of the phone doesn't matter", yes? I think that's a flawed statement, personally. Those that don't use a case likely do care. The majority of people don;t care about the stocks app either. Those that do I am sure are happy it's there.

By the way, I would disagree that a phone needs a case on it. I think a lot of people are either clumsy, paranoid, or both. I fall into the paranoid category. I have never dropped my iPhone, and I use a case on it at all times.
This ^^ /thread
Six8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:29 PM   #20
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke60 View Post
Much cheaper to replace a few cases than a new phone, no?
Depends on what you are spending on the cases, really. Some of them are pretty spendy if you ask me!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:48 PM   #21
Timzer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMann View Post

THIS x 100.
Not too often something gives me a chuckle and is 100% true. Rebel indeed.
Timzer is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:59 PM   #22
Hayduke60
macrumors regular

Quote:
Depends on what you are spending on the cases, really. Some of them are pretty spendy if you ask me!
I agree. I would love one of those Lifeproof cases, but can't see spending that much green on a case. I bought an Otterbox commuter case at Wally mart for less than 20 bucks. It has taken a severe beating and still looks great.
Hayduke60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:10 PM   #23
sviato
macrumors 68000

You don't HAVE to put a case on it. I have a white 4S and sometimes I use a black bumper and it actually looks better because of the color contrast. Other times I just don't have anything on it. And I don't use screen protectors because the glass feels better. I am careful though and my phone is in near perfect condition.

I'm guessing people use cases because, to them, the phone might look better in the case, may be more comfortable to hold, or are trying to keep it in the best possible condition for resale.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:21 PM   #24
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Why do you care what other people do with their phone?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:42 PM   #25
DanteMann
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Why do you care what other people do with their phone?
You completely missed the point of the OP. But I gotta admit nothing more ironic than caring enough about someones opinion that you ask him why he cares about other people's phone. Yooz a funny fella.
DanteMann is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone