Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
New York
I have a yellow tint coming from left side of my screen. It's very clear when you use a split keyboard, as each side looks different. This is the best of many new iPads I've owned, so I'm very hesitant to exchange it as I don't want to end up with something worse.

I went to the Apple store and checked out a few of their models. Seemed like they all had similar split keyboard issues.. At this point, I'm wondering if they're all like this or if I'm just happening to come across a bunch of bad screens.

I've tried the white photo burn in test, where you keep a white photo on the screen at max brightness for hours at a time. This seemed to fix things temporarily but the screen very quickly re-developed its partial yellow tint. I'm wondering if it'll fix itself over time since it seemed to go away for a bit. Almost convinces me that it's not the actual display itself.

If anyone can post a photo of a split keyboard looking the same on both sides, it would be much appreciated and give me some hope to keep searching for the seemingly impossible-to-find near-perfect new iPad. :eek:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you have already gone through a few iPads and they have the same issue, then I'd take this one back and wait a month or two before trying again.

nicoplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
France
I have a yellow tint coming from left side of my screen.
Yes, this is iPad 3rd gen. Most (all?) of these suffer from the same problem of uniformity, at different levels. However, individual perception is highly variable and many people doesn't notice or give attention to this.

I've tried the white photo burn in test, where you keep a white photo on the screen at max brightness for hours at a time. This seemed to fix things temporarily but the screen very quickly re-developed its partial yellow tint. I'm wondering if it'll fix itself over time since it seemed to go away for a bit. Almost convinces me that it's not the actual display itself.
Burning the screen doesn't change anything about this uniformity problem. It's not glue related: it's the panel itself.

If anyone can post a photo of a split keyboard looking the same on both sides, it would be much appreciated and give me some hope to keep searching for the seemingly impossible-to-find near-perfect new iPad. :eek:
People are going to be aggressive. :D

apriori

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
[I have this exact problem. The right part of the split keyboard is tinted yellow, as is the right side of the screen generally. I do video production work, so it may be more subtle to untrained eyes (my girlfriend can't tell). I'm going to give it some time before I go through the hassle of replacing it.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I had two like this. My third unit has an even tint but it also has a noticeable pinkish cast so just pick your poison.:D. Decide what you can live with - I don't believe there are many perfect iPad 3 screens out there. At least none have been shown on this forum. Lots of people who say they have perfect white screens but no one seems willing to post a picture of perfection. I decided that since this unit was even, I would live with it plus I was sick of returns/exchanges. However, even as I sit on my back porch typing out this reply in bright daylight, my screen is pinky lee at 80% brightness.:eek:

superduperdom

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
I returned mine with the same uneven tint on the left side and got a good one that I'm very happy with. I couldn't live with an uneven screen, so keep trying they're out there.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I had two like this. My third unit has an even tint but it also has a noticeable pinkish cast so just pick your poison.:D. Decide what you can live with - I don't believe there are many perfect iPad 3 screens out there. At least none have been shown on this forum. Lots of people who say they have perfect white screens but no one seems willing to post a picture of perfection. I decided that since this unit was even, I would live with it plus I was sick of returns/exchanges. However, even as I sit on my back porch typing out this reply in bright daylight, my screen is pinky lee at 80% brightness.:eek:

I find the pink tint on mine is most noticeable when there's a lot of bright natural light. Indoors under fluorescent lighting it's much less pronounced.

nicoplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
France
Post a photo showing how bad that is.

It's a little bit worse in real life, but it show you the idea. :( I've also added a direct comparison between left and right.

Attachments

• keyboard.jpg
    keyboard.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 157
  • keyboard_left_right.jpg
    keyboard_left_right.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 159

nicoplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
France
The right side is yellow! is it the lower left part of the display (portrait mode)? It's usually on the left of the panel that things gets bad...

TrimmTrabb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
This is extremely common, if not universal. I've checked multiple display units at multiple stores and they all had it. Always yellow on the left in portrait mode, or the side opposite the home button in landscape. My own unit has it too. In fact, I've not seen one uniform unit, and I'd encourage anyone here to post evidence to the contrary.

Also, for reference, the iPad 2 suffered from this as well, but in reverse. The right side was yellow.

I suggest you stop feeling like your iPad is a lemon with a rare condition and get on with enjoying it.

Last edited:

nicoplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
France
In fact, I've not seen one uniform unit, and I'd encourage anyone here to post evidence to the contrary.
I agree! Never see a uniform unit yet. Think all iPad 3rd gen have this flaw... Until I see a correct one.

Also, for reference, the iPad 2 suffered from this as well, but in reverse. The right side was yellow
I didn't knew that. I'm coming from a clean and crisp iPad 1st gen, that was unfortunately stolen. Do you know when Apple start using decent screens in iPad 2? Does it take weeks? Months?

TrimmTrabb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
Do you know when Apple start using decent screens in iPad 2? Does it take weeks? Months?

It's not something inherent only to initial batches, and Apple does not consider it a flaw. It's an attribute of the display technology being used. It's easy to spot on the iPad but you'll also find it on the iPhones, and even a 27" iMac. It's not as immediately obvious, but take a picture of an iMac display showing a grey screen, then use the Preview app to cut a piece of all four corners and bring them close together.

Sure, this kind of issue goes away when you use a different display technology like AMOLED. But you can't think of it like that. It's all about tradeoffs. For example, no other panel technology is currently able to ship high DPI in mass quantities, and Apple's IPS designs are still beating the pants off the competition in things like colour reproduction, etc.

I think Apple, on the whole, has made the right choices. They've accepted a greater tolerance for some minor side-effects not seen in other types of panels, in order to be world-leading on the fundamentals of display quality, the physical aspects of the panels, like their power efficiency and thinness, and the ability to manufacture them on an enormous scale.

Last edited:

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
It's not something inherent only to initial batches, and Apple does not consider it a flaw. It's an attribute of the display technology being used. It's easy to spot on the iPad but you'll also find it on the iPhones, and even a 27" iMac. It's not as immediately obvious, but take a picture of an iMac display showing a grey screen, then use the Preview app to cut a piece of all four corners and bring them close together.

Sure, this kind of issue goes away when you use a different display technology like AMOLED. But you can't think of it like that. It's all about tradeoffs. For example, no other panel technology is currently able to ship high DPI in mass quantities, and Apple's IPS designs are still beating the pants off the competition in things like colour reproduction, etc. I think Apple, on the whole, has made the right choices.

Try telling that to my eyes and the coffee looking stain on the upper left side of my screen that extends to the middle of it

nicoplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
France
That's interesting: thanks for this feedback. So the problem is mostly related to iPad large and high density panel? Do you have more informations about this? What is the reason?

It's maybe useless to seek for a better screen on this device then. :(

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC

Sure, this kind of issue goes away when you use a different display technology like AMOLED. But you can't think of it like that. It's all about tradeoffs. For example, no other panel technology is currently able to ship high DPI in mass quantities, and Apple's IPS designs are still beating the pants off the competition in things like colour reproduction, etc. I think Apple, on the whole, has made the right choices.

This is extremely common, if not universal. I've checked multiple display units at multiple stores and they all had it. Always yellow on the left in portrait mode, or the side opposite the home button in landscape. My own unit has it too. In fact, I've not seen one uniform unit, and I'd encourage anyone here to post evidence to the contrary.

Also, for reference, the iPad 2 suffered from this as well, but in reverse. The right side was yellow.

I suggest you stop feeling like your iPad is a lemon with a rare condition and get on with enjoying it.

I am feeling lazy today and don't feel like going to trouble of taking/posting a picture but i can assure you my keyboard is evenly tinted this go round. I know this to be the case because my first unit had the yellow tint on the camera end and the second had it on the home button end. I spend lots of time reading books, news, blogs on my iPad on white backgrounds and I just found it completely distracting; my eye was just drawn to the yellow end. While this may be a common problem, I don't think it's ubiquitous with all ipad 3's. I've seen plenty of display units in my local Apple store without the problem and my final replacement unit doesn't have this issue although as I stated above, it does have an overall pinkish cast which I decided to live with.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
I am feeling lazy today and don't feel like going to trouble of taking/posting a picture but i can assure you my keyboard is evenly tinted this go round. I know this to be the case because my first unit had the yellow tint on the camera end and the second had it on the home button end. I spend lots of time reading books, news, blogs on my iPad on white backgrounds and I just found it completely distracting; my eye was just drawn to the yellow end. While this may be a common problem, I don't think it's ubiquitous with all ipad 3's. I've seen plenty of display units in my local Apple store without the problem and my final replacement unit doesn't have this issue although as I stated above, it does have an overall pinkish cast which I decided to live with.

That is what I have , a **** stain on the top upper left of my screen and it's annoying as hell....I work too hard for my money to play this lotto screen B.S.

TrimmTrabb

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012

I don't fault you for feeling lazy, and you have no obligation to post any photos here. But until you do, we have to take your claim with a grain of salt.

And that's not to say that you're lying. I don't think you are. I think that these things are not uniform from panel to panel. There's a tolerance range, and each unit may show this at a different intensity and in a different part of the panel. Also, each person has their tolerance for perceiving the problem, which is also affected by the brightness setting of the display and the lighting conditions of the room it is being looked at.

Long story short, I'm pretty confident that if you posted a genuine picture of your iPad with the split keyboard, in good lighting and on a normal brightness setting, we'll be able to observe a variance from one side of the screen to the other. But, if I were you, I'd just use the time to enjoy your iPad instead.

----------

That's interesting: thanks for this feedback. So the problem is mostly related to iPad large and high density panel? Do you have more informations about this? What is the reason?

It's maybe useless to seek for a better screen on this device then. :(

As I understand, it's a behaviour to do with the physical characteristics of the way these IPS backlit displays are put together. It is extremely difficult to manufacture them at mass scale with a tolerance so exact that a problem like this is not observed. Some may appear worse than others, and some may actually be outside of the tolerance range Apple considers acceptable.

In my experience, you'll have a much easier time accepting it if you know that your iPad isn't unique, but shares the same characteristics as the vast majority of other iPads out there. And believe me, your iPad is no different than what millions of us are using as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.