Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Doover
macrumors newbie

Iphone not charging and wont show up on itunes.

Ok might sound like an easy fix like the usb cable or something but its not. My iPhone started acting weird after a few days with the jailbreak so today I decided to restore it and not jailbreaking it again.

First thing first, my phone wont charge through the computer or the wall. Tried with different adapters aswell as different cables. And when I try to hook it up to my computer and restore it via iTunes I just get a error message saying it cant use the iPhone or connect it so there is no way for me to see the phone in iTunes.

So I tried going into settings - General - Reset and erase all data but that only leave me with the spinning wheel for hourse untill i get fed up and do a hard reset and my phone comes back on like nothing happend. The fact that the phone wont charge could be hardware in which case I will get them to fix it but I really want to unJailbreak/Reset the phone so my warranty is covered.

Im getting pretty frustrated with this god damn phone! Hopefully someone is alot smarter then me.

Thanks for the help!
Doover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:04 PM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Sounds like you'll need to take it to Apple.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
hrhkingjames
macrumors newbie

I just took mine to Apple yesterday for the same issue. She just plugged it in and saw that it was dead and not charging. I got a replacement, which appeared new and unused. I got charged $149, but if you're within your warranty, they should just swap yours out without hassle.
hrhkingjames is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Doover
macrumors newbie

Hmm ok. Just feels like they will say, yeah it was jailbroken. You broke it. Though ****. Thats why Im trying to reset it before. Isnt there any way of doing that without iTunes? I guess the things in Settings but that just leaves the wheel spinning for eternity.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:10 PM   #5
blueroom
macrumors 603

DFU restore.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doover View Post
Hmm ok. Just feels like they will say, yeah it was jailbroken. You broke it. Though ****. Thats why Im trying to reset it before. Isnt there any way of doing that without iTunes? I guess the things in Settings but that just leaves the wheel spinning for eternity.
If you cant restore it then do the erase all.
It will be stuck on the apple logo but they wont be able to tell it was JB.
And if they cant restore it either they will just replace it.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Doover
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
DFU restore.
Ok Ill google that and see If im able to do that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
If you cant restore it then do the erase all.
It will be stuck on the apple logo but they wont be able to tell it was JB.
And if they cant restore it either they will just replace it.

The thing is its not stuck on the apple logo, The apple pops up for like 0.5 sec then its back to the wheel again and it just sits there until I hard reset it.
Doover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doover View Post

The thing is its not stuck on the apple logo, The apple pops up for like 0.5 sec then its back to the wheel again and it just sits there until I hard reset it.
Yes, its in a boot loop.
Try the DFU restore mentioned above.
If still nothing then bring it in, they wont be able to tell it was JB since it wont start up and they cant see cydia or other non-stock software installed.
Just play dumb and say you dont know what happened. You tried to update it to 5.1 and its doing that.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Doover
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes, its in a boot loop.
Try the DFU restore mentioned above.
If still nothing then bring it in, they wont be able to tell it was JB since it wont start up and they cant see cydia or other non-stock software installed.
Just play dumb and say you dont know what happened. You tried to update it to 5.1 and its doing that.
Yeah ok, Ill try and do the DFU bit when I get home and hopefully it will reset it and I will be able to get it fixed.
Funny thing is its charging when in the boot loop thing but not otherwise.

Last edited by Doover; Apr 21, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Doover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Doover
macrumors newbie

Ok update. The phone connects and everything when in DFU mode but I have only managed to put the phone in DFU mode once and then it gave me an #2005 error so I google how to solve that, then the #1601 error came up so I tried solving that by reinstalling everything with itunes as it said on Apples site.

Now Im just struggleing to actually try getting the phone into DFU mode again. Its freakin hard with the timing! My patience is slowly going out the window. Damn!

--

Ok, I finally got the phone into DFU and successfully restored it but the phone still wont charge like and connect to itunes like it should. This is def a hardware error. Taking it to apple in the morning, Thanks for all the help and advice!

Last edited by Doover; Apr 22, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting